Author Topic: Wiring Fun! Pilot Lights as turn signals  (Read 3613 times)

Hansel

• Scooter
on: April 16, 2013, 01:53:15 am
So i am wiring up the pilot lights as turn signals, with amber lens/leds.

Couple questions with the wiring since the wiring diagram in the service manual looks like a copy of a copy of a copy. It is literally unreadable.

Anyways- is the power/hot wire on these bikes the all black one? i hooked a multimeter up and thats the one that was getting voltage with the blinker switch on- on both sides. I just figured ground would be the all black one.

I hooked the pilot lights up to the blinker wires and either way i hook them up they just glow when the blinker is turned on... no flashing. I suspect this might be remedied when i put the new flasher relay in or add in the diode set. There are LEDs in the pilot lights right now, i tried it with the regular bulbs and they blinked just fine.

In theory this job should be easy...

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:27:38 am
Put the led flasher in, everything is flashing now. Everything.
But they all work and look good so im happy!

Hopefully i can get the diode kit in tomorrow... and then we will see if it can be functional!

The wire color is still messing with me though. why would the black wire change voltage with the blinker? is it like ground switching on the blinkers?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:42 am
Usually the black wires are ground wires but not always.

When I replaced my stock turn signals on my 2011 G5 I trusted that the black wire was the ground.  Wrong.
After tracing the wiring back to a connector I found that the black harness wire had the colored signal wire plugged into it and the colored harness wire had the black signal plugged into it.

That's when I learned that the only sure way of knowing which wire is ground and which one is powered is to check them with a multi-tester.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:25:04 pm
Anyways- is the power/hot wire on these bikes the all black one?

good luck with that.   I think these bikes have leftover parts from when british bikes were positive ground.

but then again, it could just be a result of the Indian culture !!!
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:47:16 pm
The black wires and black striped wires are power. Red is ground.
When you start messing with LEDs and flashers, then you need diodes to block the power supply. It's far easier to stick with incandescents and the stock flasher in the turn signals. You can use LEDs every place else.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:30 pm
good luck with that.   I think these bikes have leftover parts from when british bikes were positive ground.

but then again, it could just be a result of the Indian culture !!!
that would be positive earth, don't you know old chum.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:58:40 pm
Hansel, the link below will guide you with the install which I did a few months ago, hope this helps.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15211.0.html
Cheers
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:18 am
Thanks for all the help, i got everything wired up correctly first try, which is a first for me. I will thank the linked thread and drawings involved, made it pretty easy.
Everything is blinking correctly, which makes me super happy. I used weatherproof/heatshrink butt connectors on everything and then taped it all so it should be good to go for the long haul.
Tomorrow i will drill the rear blinker holes and post up pics.

I love how clean it looks without the chrome...

if you need 4 bullet turn signals PM me! I will hand them off cheap to a fellow RE owner- they are a huge improvement over stock, IMO.

patndhat

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:32 am
Not sure what "PM me" means, but I'm interested in your bullet indicators. Let me know if they're still available. email if you like is patrickworksphotography@gmail.com. Congrats on your mod. I'll have to try that next year. Meanwhile the stock indicators have to go!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:39 am
Not sure what "PM me" means~

Personal message.

Click the little square balloon to the right and beneath the word karma under the avatar.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:51 am
Sold those turn signals.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:30:15 pm
How bright were the little LED buttons you used on the rear?  Any chance of a pic of them on?

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:28 pm
Out of curiosity: are you still in tune with your local traffic regulations?
Here using only the tiger eyes for indicators would be a big no no.
Reason: too close to each other and to the head light.
Hope you can make it work. Bullet improves with less.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 09:52:35 pm
Doubtful.  Most states have both a minimum size for turn signals and minimum distance required between them.

Scott

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:52 am
Got this done- for the most part- will update my build thread here:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16189.msg176445.html#msg176445

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 11:44:43 am
Out of curiosity: are you still in tune with your local traffic regulations?
Here using only the tiger eyes for indicators would be a big no no.
Reason: too close to each other and to the head light.

Not sure if it matters if, as Hansel says in the other post, Washington State doesn't require turn signals at all.

But wait, Hansel, doesn't that plate say "Oregon"?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 03:28:11 pm
I stand corrected! :)

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:48:18 pm
I loosely interpret some of these laws  ;)

If your bike did not come with turn signals, they dont have to have them in Washington. So yeah, take that as you will. I have looked and not seen what constitutes legal turn signals, but honestly im not worried about it. I dont run mirrors either, and i know thats not legal.

My bike is registered in Oregon since i am a legal residence there- I havent looked at there laws as i dont go there too often, but im sure i will find out what they are if i get pulled over!

Either way, this bike is unique enough that i feel like most turn a blind eye or dont notice discrepancies, and if they do, oh well. I have not had a problem yet!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 08:05:53 pm
Don't count on finding out if you get pulled over.  First, most police don't know all the fine points.  They may know you need mirrors but don't know dimensions, etc.  Second, with a cool old looking bike they'll think it's from the 50s and never had them in the first place.  Third, unless your really speeding or doing something dangerous you don't tend to get pulled over in the first place.

My friend gets pulled over in Portland for lane splitting regularly.  He just says, "Sorry, I'm from LA and didn't know."  Hasn't gotten a ticket yet.

Scott

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 08:30:07 pm
Don't count on finding out if you get pulled over.  First, most police don't know all the fine points.  They may know you need mirrors but don't know dimensions, etc.  Second, with a cool old looking bike they'll think it's from the 50s and never had them in the first place.  Third, unless your really speeding or doing something dangerous you don't tend to get pulled over in the first place.

My friend gets pulled over in Portland for lane splitting regularly.  He just says, "Sorry, I'm from LA and didn't know."  Hasn't gotten a ticket yet.

Scott

This is my exact philosophy/feelings on the whole subject.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 08:33:29 pm
No drugs, no warrants, no weapons, then you'll probably just have a conversation :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 10:14:59 pm
No drugs, no warrants, no weapons, then you'll probably just have a conversation :)

What fun is that?    ;D  Totally kidding.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King