Author Topic: Differences between the British and the Indian bullets?  (Read 8468 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 09:57:02 am
While were on the subject, I've been meaning to ask.....

Ace - What is the safe max cruising speed for my '58 Enfield/Indian 700cc Twin?  I have a brand new Amal 930 concentric and I'm about to put the Thorspark electronic ignition on it.  I know you told me it's around 40 hp and I remember reading somewhere when I initially researched the bike that it has a top speed of about 110mph.  Is this true?

Scottie
Hi Scottie,
I have never ridden one, so I don't know for sure.
I think that a '58 would be the same as the Super Meteor 700, which should have enough power to be in a much better position to do highway riding.
Probably the 110mph claims were high, but it might do the Ton.

I really can't say what the maximum sustained speeds should be, or for how long they can be sustained. I suspect it would handle normal highway speeds of 70-75mph okay. But I don't know for sure.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 04:19:15 pm
But put that bike in South Africa, or the USA, or Australia or anywhere high temperatures and high-speed roads are common and you have a different story.

I hope no one takes one to India then. Oh hang on!!

;)
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:46:49 pm
I hope no one takes one to India then. Oh hang on!!

;)

Good point!

Your engines worst enemy is traffic holdups. These bikes are made for less-driven older highway roads that have been bypassed by modern super slabs. Nothing sounds better than a Bullet cruising at 55 on back country road. Hearing that constant thump reverberating off everything it passes is music to my ears. I know most don't use synthetic oils. I would recommend using a synthetic in hotter climates. They don't break down like dino's, which can often break down within the first 1k mi.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 11:53:45 am
I would recommend using a synthetic in hotter climates. They don't break down like dino's, which can often break down within the first 1k mi.

Well the bikes being serviced in the next few weeks so i'll speak to the mechanic. He has been servicing these bikes since the dawn of time :D

Oh and why dont I service it myself? I live in a complex and the body corporate would have a heart attack if the saw me "repairing" my bike. Ill be buying a house soon so this will change :)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:47 pm
Well the bikes being serviced in the next few weeks so i'll speak to the mechanic. He has been servicing these bikes since the dawn of time :D

Oh and why dont I service it myself? I live in a complex and the body corporate would have a heart attack if the saw me "repairing" my bike. Ill be buying a house soon so this will change :)
I like Mobil 1 v twin 20w50. Any Autozone or Pep Boys has it.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 03:47:38 pm
One thing to point out is you really shouldn't change over to a synthetic oil until your bike is fully broken in. The Bullet engine can take anywhere from about 1200 mi. to 2000+ mi. to be fully broken in.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 04:11:47 pm
One thing to point out is you really shouldn't change over to a synthetic oil until your bike is fully broken in. The Bullet engine can take anywhere from about 1200 mi. to 2000+ mi. to be fully broken in.
Absolutely. Take this advice to the bank.

2017 Triumph T120

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 04:29:59 pm
Mines on about 3200kms. The previous owner changed the oil at about 2600 before he sold it to me "evidently" but yes I get the sense the bike still needs to be run in, it's why I'm not really hammering at the moment. Ill leave it be till 5000 :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 05:26:31 pm
Probably the 110mph claims were high, but it might do the Ton.

The 700 Constellation tested in '61 would do 110+. Those RE 700s and 750s of the early '60s were about the fastest bikes around.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 05:57:52 pm
The 700 Constellation tested in '61 would do 110+. Those RE 700s and 750s of the early '60s were about the fastest bikes around.
Bare

I freaking love this bike! (My 1958 RE/Indian Trailblazer 700 twin)  Finally got it out and on the road, and even though the automatic advance is being a punk and sticking and not working, let me tell you, this bike has some BALLS!  Very tourqey and fast, and with the cocktail shakers on the exhaust, this about the coolest sounding bike I've ever heard.  When backing off the throttle at speed it gives a gentle purr that's barely audible, but when I crack the throttle the bike barks like a rabid bull mastiff!  I've only spent a couple hours on the bike so far, but my face is sore from smiling so big while riding it.    :D

Check it out, I just took this walk around video last night.  The idle is a little high because I'm still tinkering with the carb.    ;)

http://youtu.be/PKSkAo1XxEM

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 06:49:11 pm
Very Nice bike, sounds good, but loud!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 06:52:34 pm
Bare

I know!  I'm thinking of wrapping the baffles with some fiberglass, but I'm afraid it won't sound as good.    ???

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 01:57:18 am
What problem are you having with the advance unit?   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 04:31:03 am
I freaking love this bike! (My 1958 RE/Indian Trailblazer 700 twin)  Finally got it out and on the road, and even though the automatic advance is being a punk and sticking and not working, let me tell you, this bike has some BALLS!  Very tourqey and fast, and with the cocktail shakers on the exhaust, this about the coolest sounding bike I've ever heard.  When backing off the throttle at speed it gives a gentle purr that's barely audible, but when I crack the throttle the bike barks like a rabid bull mastiff!  I've only spent a couple hours on the bike so far, but my face is sore from smiling so big while riding it.    :D

Check it out, I just took this walk around video last night.  The idle is a little high because I'm still tinkering with the carb.    ;)

http://youtu.be/PKSkAo1XxEM

Scottie
Bike looks and sounds fantastic!
Good luck with it.
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 05:38:21 am
Bare

Bike looks and sounds fantastic!
Good luck with it.
Chuck.

Thanks Chuck and Bare!  God knows I have a lot of hard work and money into it.  I'm very proud of what I've created.  It's definitely 1 of my finest works to date and I still have a hard time believing it is actually MINE and not a customers.    :D

What problem are you having with the advance unit?   ERC

ERC -  Ever since I've been wrenching on this thing and playing with the timing the auto-advance has been hanging up.  At 1 point I pulled the timing cover, replaced the springs and soaked the living piss out of the timing unit with PB Blaster.  From the points end (now the electronic trigger and magnetic rotor) the rotor will most times move, but not freely and stick, sometimes at full advance causing the bike to diesel when I shut it down.  But it doesn't always hang up.  Sometimes when I check it, it moves freely and returns to the retarded position as normal.  I did seem today when I was riding it remained free and it never dieseled when I shut it down.

And speaking of today...   ;D ;D ;D
Took the bike out on a side highway after some errands today and opened her up at about 3/4 throttle.  Hit an indicated 93 mph and still had a LOT of motor to go!  Unfortunately I ran into traffic and had drop back down to 60, but the bike felt REAL good out there.  I think I just about got this baby dialed in.  Can't wait for all the rides to come!

And I can't help but mention again how much I love this exhaust set up.  This bike sounds like nothing I've ever heard before and I turn heads everywhere I go.   :)

Scottie