Author Topic: One spoke in the rear tire  (Read 5236 times)

easy-v

• Scooter
on: April 14, 2013, 10:36:18 pm
So a piece metal wire somehow got lodged onto the chain, into the chain cover and wrapped around as soon as i started off last night. I went to get the bolt cutters because it was lodged in pretty good.

While getting a grip on the wires I also managed to grab a spoke and had no idea how deep the bolt cutters blade was.  Boom, I snapped a spoke right in half (pic). Am I screwed and have to take it into a garage so they can take the wheel and tire off for this one spoke?  Or is there any other option?

The wire is obviously out now, but made the situation much worse.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:01:37 pm
According to Dan's online motorcycle repair course, you can get by for quite some time missing one or two spokes (provided you are not beating it as an off road bike). (http://www.dansmc.com/spokewheels.htm) If you are racing, you may want to replace it soon. If not, you could wait until you need a new tire and replace it at that time.
 You can order individual spokes from the Nfield gear, I seem to remember they were about $7 each or an entire set for under $50.  There are two types of spokes, one has a bend at the mushroom end of 90 degrees, the other type has a bend at the mushroom end of about 120 degrees.  So, if you order an individual spoke, make sure you get the correct one.   In order to put in a new spoke, you will need to remove the tire (or at least break the bead on one side so you can get a screw driver on the inside of the spoke nipple).  Not  difficult  really.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:30:36 am by mrunderhill1975a »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:15:52 pm
Once there's one spoke broken, others start mysteriously breaking after that.

The sooner you replace it, the better.
I consider it a safety issue.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:19:24 pm
Gotcha thanks a lot for replies. At least it looks like I can ride it at least a bit for now, but will order the part right away and find out how to do it myself if I can. Hopefully this is a one day job, since it's not covered in a garage.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:06:08 am
I think the right way to do it is to pull the rear wheel off of the bike and let the air out of the tire.
Then, one side of the tire would be broken loose from the rim and pried off so the inner tube can be removed.
The rim tape that covers the heads of the  spoke nuts should be pushed to the side in the area of the broken spoke so you can remove the spoke nut.

Then, it's just a matter of looking at the other spokes to make sure how they are positioned, position your new spoke in a similar matter and screw the spoke nut on.

Tighten the spoke nut until the spoke "rings" like the other spokes. 
While your at it, tap the other spokes with a screwdriver blade to make sure they all "ring" the same (or nearly the same).  None of the spokes should go "doink" or sound like they are "dead".  That indicates it is loose.
   If they don't ring about the same pitch, adjust their tightness.

Put the rim tape back in place along with the inner tube and the tire bead.
Fill the tire with air and reinstall the wheel.

While your buying a replacement spoke you probably would be wise to also buy new rim tape.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/tires/rim-tape.html

The rim tape often gets weathered, cracked and stuck in place and it's the only thing that keeps your inner tube from chaffing against the heads of the spoke nuts.

A backup inner tube would also be a good idea because there is a very good chance of you poking a hole thru your existing tube while your are trying to pry off the tire bead (or pry it back on).

Based on my last experience in prying off a tire, plan on using the whole day.

Good luck. :)

The cheap non advisable way of doing this task is to let the air out of the tire.
Twist the broken spokes nut gently back and forth to break it free from the rim tape.
Insert the new spoke into the hub.
Move the spoke nut slightly inward towards the inner tube while you try to align the threaded end of the spoke with the nuts threads.  Gently bending the spoke a bit may help.
Once the spoke nut screws onto the spoke easily (do not force it), it can be tightened to the proper tension.

OK you guys.  Feel free to jump on me.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:33 am
Arizoni - I believe they are called "tunkers". Cuz they go, [tunk] when you hit them.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:35 pm
You can do this as advised below. We will sell you a single spoke. call 800-201-7472
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:35:45 pm
If you break a spoke from it being worn out, then the rest of the spokes might follow suit. Since you cut that one, and it didn't break on it's own, you should have no problem with the wheel for quite awhile. I would run it as is.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:35:33 pm
Easy v, when you order the spoke from our host, you need to let them know whether it's an inner or an outer spoke that is needed.  As mentioned before, there are two types of spokes with different bend angles that are used on the rear wheel. The folks at Enfieldgear are great and will explain to you how to differentiate which one you will need.   cochi       

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 09:10:27 pm
Thanks so far. I did order 2 spokes, an out and inner from Nfield and spoke to Tim. This is an outer spoke to replace. They arrived today. I found a nearby shop that would do the spoke replacement, true it if necessary, and replace the tube. I just need to give them the wheel. 

So, I'm not quite figuring out how to remove the rear wheel. I've removed the cotter pin. But now, should I be able to just remove those bolts after the cotter pin, and hammer the axle out and that's it? What about the other side (right side pic). Am I going to mess up the mark setting for the chain adjustment?

Also, I thought one feature was that I could just rotate the fender up after loosening its bolts from the frame. Is this the case for my bullet too? Thing is, there seems to be a piece of sheet metal that's housing some other stuff just underneath the regulator and rectifier and sits strongly over the fender (pic), that is preventing me from moving the fender also. Is this normal piece?

BTW, mine is a 2003 Bullet 500es, 4-speed. kickstart + electric

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:15:06 pm
Yes, all the Indian models have that mount for the electrics.
You can move the electrics, and remove that mounting bar if you want.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:36 pm
thanks ace, I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same metal sheet that's preventing, i marked it this time with an arrow. Removing that meant removing a bunch of other stuff, it seemed (?)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36:45 pm
I'm not sure how much you have to remove to get the rear mud guard to rotate up but as far as removing the nuts, only the outer nut that screws onto the thru axle needs to be removed.
The larger hex nut and the nut on the brake plate can stay tight so the chain adjustment won't change.

After the axle nut is loose and the axle is removed, remove the spacer and slide the wheel sideways away from the sprocket.

You'll find a bunch of rubber cushions inside the wheel hub that drive the wheel.
This "Cush Drive" I think it's called goes back to some of the earliest days of Royal Enfield and at the time was considered a vast improvement over the many motorcycles that just used a direct drive thru the chain to the rear wheel so don't forget to put them back in place when you reinstall the wheel. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 04:03:49 am
For a video of a tire removal, see the link below:
http://www.hoohoohoblin.com/RoyalEnfieldBullet500.html

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 04:35:36 pm
Thanks arizona and mrunder, I did see the hoohoo link before but for some reason mine seemed more complicated. Rotating the fender is looking like a pain on mine, so will be using the 2x4 method under center stand. Hopefully that'll give enough clearance with a just little tilt.

I'll take note of the cush drive rubbers.