Author Topic: One spoke in the rear tire  (Read 5258 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:08:03 pm
thanks ace, I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same metal sheet that's preventing, i marked it this time with an arrow. Removing that meant removing a bunch of other stuff, it seemed (?)

No, that's the fender bracket, and you can't really just leave that off. I though you were talking about the electrics mounting bracket.

Anyway, I think that the ends of that fender bracket could be made open-ended like a "U" on the end, so you could loosen the bolts and lift it up. It might even already be that way, but if not, you could make it like that yourself.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 01:25:46 am
I think this is the youtube you need...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkOgpuAQDU
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 06:42:59 pm
What bike do you have? If it's a G5 the fender doesn't move. It's a PITA to get the tire out. set the bike up on a thick board with the center stand so the wheel can fall down a ways, then you can turn it to get it out. Or you can lean the bike way over and prop it up with a stool or some such as it gets leaned over, and pull the wheel out from below and sideways. I took care of the problem by bobbing my rear fender and then it was pretty easy to get the wheel out. If you have a B5, or it is indeed an iron barrel, remove the bolts on the front end of the fender brace tubes on each side and the fender will rotate up from the rear.  I think a C5 works that way, too, but not sure.
As far as removing the wheel goes, take out the cotter pin, remove the outer nut, stick a screwdriver in the other end of the axle and pull it out, watching for the spacers and remember where they go. Pull the wheel to the left which will disengage it from the rubber cush drive and it comes right out, after you figure out how to get it past the fender  Take a couple of pictures before you disassemble it, so you absolutely remember how to get all the pieces back together! 
Bare
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:46:48 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 06:15:46 pm
Bare, Thanks.  It's not a G5, it's a 500es 2003, 4-speed. But, it is one where the fender doesn't just rotate by loosening the nuts. Great idea on bobbing the fender for the future. The fender bracket (my pic above), which Ace pointed out is not an easily removable thing.

So I will be trying this tomorrow (weather permitting) with the 2x4 method and will be taking note of all those things you and others mentioned.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 06:40:16 pm
@Easy-v:

Another youtube link below for removing the rear wheel. This involves removing the front wheel first to easily slide out the rear wheel.

If you do not want to take off front wheel and if chain is on right side, you can slide a 1" shelf under the left leg of center stand, which will lean the bike a little to the right.  Then you can pull out the wheel from the left without removing the rear fender.  (If chain is on Left side, raise the right side a bit or as Bare suggested use a 2 x 4 under center stand).

I just took out the rear wheel of my G5 by using a shelf under stand, to put in a new tube. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASD9nFLSbmE
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:03:29 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 11:11:41 pm
As usual Singh, an excellent presentation. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 03:49:11 am
Nice DIY video!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

easy-v

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 05:55:18 am
Thanks Singh, Arizona, Bare and all. I had finally got the wheel back, and the weather was good enough to put it back on this evening. For getting the wheel off, the fender was able to go up, but I had to actually remove it's bolts, whereas just loosening wasn't enough for some reason. A 1x4 was enough to give a little lift. Just need to get a replacement cotter pin and should be good to go.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28:31 am
Any hardware or auto parts store will have an appropriate size size cotter pin for you.  Plus they're super cheap.  Glad you got your wheel straightened out.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King