Author Topic: 5 Speed RH shift gearbox help  (Read 1339 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 17, 2013, 08:37:42 pm
Here is the story so far:

I opened up the gear box cover plate to inspect the source of a clicking sound. Its a single or double click when I pull the clutch in. I dont know how long its been there since its drowned out by the engine when its running. The ball bearing mechanism under the 5-speed plate was devoid of grease. I was able to replicate the sound and it seemed to be coming from the ball bearing mechanism. I cleaned it with gasoline and greased it with, oh well vaseline. Thats all I had laying around. I am going to have to open it up again so .....the good stuff will go in. Any how, the clicking sound went away after vaselin-ing with the cover off but was back as soon as I put the cover plate back on. So, there is issue one, the clicking sound.

Issue two: When I put the gearbox cover back together I saw a spacer lying on the ground, #26 in this diagram :

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/2307/Carrier_Plate_&_Gear_Lever_-_5_Speed

Now this is a LH shift diagram, so I am unsure where this spacer goes relative to, lets say #24. I put it to the right of it flush against the cover with the dished side facing right, towards the cover. Something is not right. Shifting is really tight/stiff. Loosening the cover plate bolts helps a little but its still too tight. The shifter does not return to its resting position.  I am sure I put the spacer in wrong, either facing the wrong way or in the wrong place.

Would appreciate some help here.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:50:40 pm
You need to back off the clutch cable adjuster at the lever and at the gearbox. You then need to adjust your clutch operator assy. by backing it off and then by screwing it back in till it makes contact with the rod and then back of 1/8th turn. readjust your cable and at the gearbox and final adjustment at the lever. You should have about a 1/4" play at the lever.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:47:56 am
You need to back off the clutch cable adjuster at the lever and at the gearbox. You then need to adjust your clutch operator assy. by backing it off and then by screwing it back in till it makes contact with the rod and then back of 1/8th turn. readjust your cable and at the gearbox and final adjustment at the lever. You should have about a 1/4" play at the lever.

Thanks Blltrdr
That sounds easy enough. Before I try that I want to be sure that I have the spacer in the correct place. Can you confirm where that spacer needs to go.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 01:02:05 am
I'm pretty sure that spacer is taken out when the RS conversion is done. I think I have that same spacer in a parts can.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII