Author Topic: difficult gear shifting in a 4 speed  (Read 12109 times)

boxbiker

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:21 am
the latest..

"adjusted" everything again and now I can get it into first and kind of half shift into 2nd...no way to find 3rd...then multi shifts into 4th...down shifts are inconsistent

I noticed that when I shift into 1st the neutral light does not go out..lift on the shifter again and it goes out.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 01:49:50 am

I noticed that when I shift into 1st the neutral light does not go out..lift on the shifter again and it goes out.

Sounds like your shifter ratchet is not letting it go far enough to get all the way into first.
Take the outer cover off again, put the shifter pedal back on and lift the pedal up into first. Note which way the linkage is working the ratchet and figure out which way your going to have to move the ratchet to make it go further than it is now (or grabs the tooth of the ratchet sooner so it will go a bit further).
There is only about 1/4 of adjustment so a very little will be the difference of shifting or not. The manual says that if you can't get enough adjustment out of it you can slot the holes out a bit more. I haven't found one that needed that yet.
Kind of a pain in the ass but by the time you get it adjusted correctly you'll have a complete understanding of how it all works and realize just how simple it all is.
On the good side, once you get it dialed in is will pretty well stay like that just getting better with age.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 06:53:46 am
I know this is an old post Did you get it all sorted out? I'm dealing with an a down shift and everything you posted so far is just what I am fixing but didn't see anything for downshifting.