Author Topic: engine oil leak -photos  (Read 6552 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 13, 2013, 05:29:07 am
just noticed this oil leak today. any cause for concern or keep riding

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:25:44 am
I would pop the valve covers and check the head torque.  It's pretty easy to replace the head gasket, just need a new head gasket and exhaust gasket IIRC. You out of warranty?  You can keep riding if you watch the oil level, but that's going to get worse, not better.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 06:48:36 am
If your dealer is handy, he's the guy who should look into this leak and fix it.
Something like this is what the warranty is for.

If he's not handy the first thing to check is to see if the oil temperature sensor is tight.

It is the thing the wire is connected to right above your leak and I would examine it closely to see if the threads are at all wet.
Fixing the leak might be as simple as giving the sensor 1/8 of a turn to snug it up.

If the sensor threads are dry the next suspect is the joint between the cylinder and the head. 
There is a oil passage that feeds high pressure oil up into the head to lube the rocker arms and valves right in that area.
Checking the torque on the cylinder head bolts like Scotty mentioned might be needed to stop the leak.
The 6 cylinder head bolts should be torqued to 18.45 pound/feet or 25 N/M of torque.

As for riding the bike, I would if it were mine.
The leak doesn't look too severe so except for making a mess it probably won't cause a problem.
Just keep an eye on your oil level and use some disk brake cleaner to blast away the oily deposits until you can get it properly fixed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 06:51:45 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:34 pm
 If not the temp sensor.....  It DOES appear to be exactly were that oil passage is. And likely the first place you might see oil if the head bolts were loose. I would also check above where the oil is appearing, like the rocker cover gaskets.... the oil may be sneaking down and showing up there. 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:52:54 pm
Be careful. Do not overtorque the head. If you don't find any loose nuts, order a head gasket. If you gotten down to the head nuts, it's not that much more to pull the head!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:27:58 pm
GHG
I did have a leak from one of the rocker covers and although it ended up wetting the fins on the cylinder head rather than on the top of the cylinder, oil is pretty sneaky stuff so it is entirely possible that a leak there could be causing the problem.

Oddly (IMO) the bolts that pass thru the rocker covers don't directly provide the clamping force that holds them in place.
Instead, the bolts are shoulder bolts that bottom out on the top of the head and they provide the squeeze for the rubber washers under the bolt heads.
It is the rubber washers that provide the clamping force to the covers that results in the covers pinch on the gaskets.

Over time, these rubber washers seem to deform and take a 'set' causing them to loose some of their clamping pressure.  That's why I used some Permatex Ultra Black to seal my gaskets.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43:46 am
Be careful. Do not overtorque the head. If you don't find any loose nuts, order a head gasket. If you gotten down to the head nuts, it's not that much more to pull the head!
Bare

Yup, the threads on the studs aren't the best. And the head gasket is an easy change....except the waiting Forever ! For the lifters to bleed down... ::)   

Arizoni

Those are good points too !
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:04:36 am by gashousegorilla »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 01:23:30 am
advice taken ....thanks all. first off i plan to give the motor a good clean up then take it for a run. hopefully i can then find out exactly where its coming from.
only that a friend pointed it out yesterday it probably would have been a sleeper for some time.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:25:40 am
quick question here - if the head was loose would the motor sound different under load

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 02:19:04 am
quick question here - if the head was loose would the motor sound different under load

Yes.... depending on how loose it was. You would be loosing compression and the piston may chatter.  But you don't look like your loosing that much oil.      Why......is it ?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 03:20:41 am
just curious. will take more notice on the next ride. if i did have to torque down the head and decided to replace it with a new head gasket can any-one guide me through the replacement procedure from the very beginning
thanks

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:18:16 am
just curious. will take more notice on the next ride. if i did have to torque down the head and decided to replace it with a new head gasket can any-one guide me through the replacement procedure from the very beginning
thanks

It looks like you have a 2012 C-5, isn't it still under warranty ?   It will involve removing your tank,rear head steady, exhaust, throttle body, rocker covers, rocker blocks, push rods, head and gasket.  And possibly clearing out your  Hydraulic lifers.    If your just going to re-torque.... a bit less.  Are you comfortable taking apart the top end of your bike?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:40 am
 thanks for the quick reply. not now! l.o.l. will keep a look out over the next few days of riding and see what happens.
looks like a drop off at the dealer and then wait it out

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 07:13:21 pm
You are getting good advice. I especially agree that if it is under warranty use the warranty. It is a good warranty and yours to use.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:00 am
just curious - i've been using 10-50 grade oil. do you think it has any thing to do with the leak

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 08:33:57 am
just curious - i've been using 10-50 grade oil. do you think it has any thing to do with the leak

I don't think that has anything to do with the leak..(or should it?  :-X)
Best bet is take it to the dealer and get it sorted once and for all..under warranty  ;D Even though it's a fair distance away from you, but still.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 07:00:38 pm
No relationship
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 04:21:56 am
2009 G5 gets a slight film of oil on right  side cylinder fins and on the top of engine case on right side.  Doesn't happen after everyride, just notice it off and on.  Did check torque on head bolts and they were to spec.  Can't track source down.  So far my approach is very complex - wipe it off when noticed and keep an eye on oil level (doesn't seem to be affected).  Using Castrol semi-synthetic 20-50.  I just chaulk it up to bikes British heritage!