Author Topic: Evapo-Rust Rust Removal  (Read 8396 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 13, 2013, 04:08:31 am
So my tank was disgustingly filthy from sitting empty for over 20 years.  I don't really have a whole lot of money left to be spending on my bike so I decided to try out a product at work called Evapo-Rust.  Pretty interesting stuff.   It's a water soluble liquid that you soak rusted parts in.  It's non-toxic, safe on skin and in eyes and 1 gallon is reusable for up to 300 pounds of steel and had specific instruction on the label for treating gas tanks.  After you're done soaking the item/s you just rinse with water and dry with heat and/or air.  And apparently if it evaporates you just add tap water to it.  I plugged my petcock holes and put a gallon of it in my tank.  I've been rotating the tank around and letting it sit in different positions for 2 hours at a time.  I also have my petcocks sitting in a cup of it as they were pretty gunked up too.  I will post results tomorrow.

Scottie

http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html?gclid=CLe5oqXVxrYCFZBcMgodxxEAiQ
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:11:40 am
Turns out this stuff works pretty darn good.  Didn't clean quite as good as I hoped, but it definitely did a great job breaking down the 20+ years of rust that hard formed in that tank and is ready to be put back in service now.  I have no doubt in my mind that if I could afford a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff to completely fill the tank, it would be spotless in 12 hours or less.  The petcocks I soaked over night and they practically look brand new and the rubber seals seam to be completely clean and even a little refreshened.  I also soaked the gas cap as it had some nasty rust formed on it.  That came out really good too.  I wish I had taken some before pics because I didn't realize how well it was going to work.

Another benefit to this stuff is that they claim it will remove blueing from chrome after soaking it for only 30 minutes.  I'll try that 1 at a future date as I just put the bike back together and don't feel like pulling the exhaust off again.

Bottom Line:  Yes, I would recommend this product for rust removal.  Not only is it non-toxic and practically odorless, it works really well and does it's job.  As a side note, this stuff is PERFECT for if your tools get exposed to rain or snow and start to rust.    :)

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50:36 pm
Did It mess up the new paint job?   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:38:08 am
Did It mess up the new paint job?   ERC

No!  Another bonus.  I spilled quite a bit on the paint shaking it around and it didn't even remove all of the wax.  I just sprayed the area with water and wiped it up with a microfiber!

Scottie

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:18:29 pm
Sounds like good stuff, miracle in a jug.  Thanks for the tip.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

majbjd

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:35:17 am
Evapo-rust is super stuff. I have used it for years. The key is temperature. It is temp sensitive, at 100F it really works fast. As the temp drops it slows down and stops working below 70F. It is nontoxic, biodegradable, totally safe for paint,plastic,rubber and chrome. No gloves or eye protection needed.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 04:50:57 am
Maybe that's why it took a little longer to work for me.  I did it in the spring time and the day time temps were only in the 60's F.  Still did a great job!

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:17:19 am
Really like using Evaporust on parts and tools.  Much nicer than that gooey Naval Jelly stuff that pickled everything.
Going to add Evaporusting for tanks to the list next to Pine Sol for carb soak/cleaner.  I had antifreeze in a crockpot for carbs, but wrote it off since it is a bother to keep isolated from amminulls and leaves a crockpot and dirty antifreeze sitting in the garage.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:57:42 pm
Another good rust remover is water and molasses.
Mix about 1 cup of molasses to each gallon of water and fill the tank or place the parts in it.

It takes several days to do its work but the metal will be clean and unlike Naval Jelly, it won't attack and dissolve the metal.

The unsulfered type of molasses doesn't seem to work very well but if you can find the kind with the sulfur still in it, your in business.
The kind with sulfur in it is often fed to horses so if you have a Co-Op in your area they will know exactly what you want.

Another nice thing about using molasses is it doesn't require any neutrilizing and it washes off easily with water.  (Don't forget to apply some oil to protect the metal while your waiting to refill the tank.) :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 04:13:33 am
Molasses?  I'll check out Southern States and Tractor Supply.  Maybe the Amish Feed Store if they don't pan out.  That's got to be cheaper than Evaporust and easy to dispose of.
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 09:55:02 pm
Evaporust is nontoxic and water soluble.  They actually say on the label that it's safe to dispose of down the drain.  ???

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:28 am
Evaporust is nontoxic and water soluble.  They actually say on the label that it's safe to dispose of down the drain.  ???

Scottie
Righto.  Well, molasses smells good!
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:37:52 am
Molasses is also non-toxic, you can wash it down the drain and you can make some really good cookies with it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Surfernick

• Scooter
  • Masquers Club "We Laugh to Win"
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 05:06:21 pm
I know this is an "ancient" post, but I couldn't resist responding.  Here's why I love Evapo-Rust for restoration work (see attached before & after photos)... 8)  The "after" photo shows the shocks fresh out of a bath in Evapo-Rust (and still dripping).   The magic juice saved me a ton of work trying to clean rust out of the coils. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:21:50 pm by Surfernick »
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"
1943 Lee-Enfield No. 4, Mk. I

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 07:22:42 pm
Awesome!

do you think this stuff could save my bullet turn signals?  Bought new from NFG, one year of three-season riding... not too impressive: