Author Topic: I'm concerned.  (Read 5958 times)

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:44 am
Lately my enfield has been exhibiting strange symptoms. It starts, on the first or second kick, even in the morning when I'm not quit awake yet. The electrical seems ok. The fuel economy is terrific. I can hold speeds at 70plus and she cruises happily at that 62mph sweet spot. The vibrations are low, almost pleasant. I'm averaging 40 miles a day for work.

Also I haven't had the urge to buy any thing new or tinker.

Am I doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:15:54 am by RE-Memphis »
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:17:09 am
Your not doing anything wrong. You and your bike have just FALLEN INTO THE GROOVE ! Enjoy !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:37:08 am
Awesome post! I can help out. Go to the auto parts store and read all the lables on the oil bottles until your convinced making the wrong choice will ruin your engine. Then tighten your chain, go for a ride, and then loosen it again out of fear you put it too tight. Next, look at craigslist until you've found a bike that you didn't realize you needed until you saw the pictures in the ad and then realize you really didn't need it once you get it home and it sits in the garage while you're riding you're fantastic enfield.

BLACKC5

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:42:08 am
Hi Re-Memphis,
That has being my experience, for Three years now, and I was asking my self the same question's,specially after I read about some of the problems others have.
What I did to over come this problem, was to changed my 2010 C5 to look like non other, it cured me.....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:15 am
Don't listen to these nincompoops.  Your bike has a severe problem.  It's called 'being broken in'.  The only cure is to get a new bike and start all over.

Enjoy the ride ;)

Scott

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:50:39 am
if it's going that bad - maybe we could swap! ;)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 12:02:08 pm
Fix something until you break something. No dont, just enjoy each others company.
My bike is pure pleasure as well, runs great and does whatever is asked of it without a sputter or stumble. The bike and I are one.  Hmm that sounded a bit too new age-ish.... 'scuze me while I kiss the sky.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:07 pm
Sounds like your suffering from biker boredom.  The cure is simple, buy several hundreds of dollars on custom accessories and set out on a weekend adventure.  This can also be the cure to Cabin Fever.  Get out and ride!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 03:37:30 pm
Don't listen to these nincompoops.  Your bike has a severe problem.  It's called 'being broken in'.  The only cure is to get a new bike and start all over.

Enjoy the ride ;)

Scott

Oh I am! And I like my Enfie. I think we have miles to go before we part ways. I'll stick with it.

This morning: JOY! I discovered one of the headlight screws had worked itself lose. I tightened it. Then rode to work. All is right with the world.

Ijpe

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 07:04:54 pm
if your significant other is bitching you spend more time fiddling/adjusting/tinkering/ogling the RE than listening to her, you just may be on the right track.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:09:47 pm
if your significant other is bitching you spend more time fiddling/adjusting/tinkering/ogling the RE than listening to her, you just may be on the right track.

I've heard that a time or two
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:40 pm
Just head for the hills...literally. Ride it where it belongs!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:12:28 pm

Don't the get it?  If there was more fiddling/adjusting/tinkering/ogling and less listening involved, the balance would shift itself :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:15:26 pm
If your significant other is bitching you spend more time fiddling/adjusting/tinkering/ogling the RE than listening to her, you just may be on the right track.

My wife's line was, "What's wrong with that bike? It must not be very good, you're always working on it!"
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:24 pm
There are people in this world who are content to leave well enough alone.  I don't hang out with any of them, but I hear they are out there :)

Scott

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:46 pm
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. doesn't mean you can't tweak it till you get it ALMOST where you think it should be.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37:03 pm
Tsk. Tsk.  failure to obsess.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:23:15 pm
There are people in this world who are content to leave well enough alone.  I don't hang out with any of them, but I hear they are out there

Having shown horses and cars, and working in the world of the performing arts, I find that with machinery, that's where I am happiest. Still not sure about my bike, but at the moment it does seem to be running provided I don;t do a lot of stop and start. Its a problem because I bought it for a town commuter.

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:36:16 pm
My wife's line was, "What's wrong with that bike? It must not be very good, you're always working on it!"
Bare

I've heard motorycle widow tossed my way a few times. :) I'm looking at barends and a non stock exhaust. I'm sure I'll have a tinker question or two that week.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 11:37:34 pm
but at the moment it does seem to be running provided I don;t do a lot of stop and start. Its a problem because I bought it for a town commuter.
R

Ok, what's the problem? How many miles does it have on it? Have you changed the plug to an NGK BPR6ES? There is a big brass screw on top of the injector taht will adjust your idle. You can play with it at your own risk, however, if you start that mark where it started so you have a reference. I messed with mine up t abut 70o clockwise and maybe 10o CCW. I finally ended up with it about the width of the slot CW.
But if you don't have many miles on it, you will do a lot of chasing. The bike's idling smooths out as it gets miles on it and it doesn't really get very stable until it's got 1500 -2000 miles on it. Nature of the beast
But if you haven't done it the spark plug change will help, at least, it will usually keep idling!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 12:18:22 am
My wife's line was, "What's wrong with that bike? It must not be very good, you're always working on it!" almost an exact qoute! are we somehow brothers-in-law?
Bare

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 04:13:03 am
Lately my enfield has been exhibiting strange symptoms. It starts, on the first or second kick, even in the morning when I'm not quit awake yet. The electrical seems ok. The fuel economy is terrific. I can hold speeds at 70plus and she cruises happily at that 62mph sweet spot. The vibrations are low, almost pleasant. I'm averaging 40 miles a day for work.

I'm afraid we may have accidentally swapped motorcycles at some point.  Please let me know when you'd like to meet so we can get the bikes back to their rightful owners.  I sure could use my steady, surefooted ride these days.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 05:43:05 am

Simple cure for the malady...........fix it 'till it's broke. ;D

Or get an Iron Barrel. :o
No matter where you go, there, you are.

BLACKC5

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 06:46:28 am
I've heard that a time or two

What is it with women,as soon as I pickup a cleaning cloth or look at my bike its on.... You spend to much time on that bike, what's wrong with you......

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:06:20 pm
"whats wrong with that bike... And why is it in the livingroom?"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:55:06 am by Desi Bike »

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 06:31:16 pm
why are you using grandma's roasting pan to drain oil?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:22:57 pm
Most items of a boudoir have a useful function in motorcycle maintenance.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 05:08:42 am
why are you using grandma's roasting pan to drain oil?

To improve the flavor of her pot roast ?  :o

J;k
 ;D
 ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 03:31:32 pm
Any tunes  coming out of that radio?  :P
Oh Magoo you done it again

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 05:20:26 pm
Actually, yes. Its fully restored by me. 1951 Kuba Imperial. I have it currently hooked up with a period correct Perpetuum Ebner Rex turntable. Although not a concours restoration, they fill the house with sound. Tube audio is my other hobby.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 08:34:48 pm
Desi, you HAD to mention tube audio. I have an original Fender Super Reverb amp, dated actually Nov. '66. Matched with my American Strat or Gibson Les Paul the tone is to die for ! Long live vacuum tubes ! Ive been offered alot of money for that amp but no way I'll ever part with it .

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 10:33:44 pm
Desi, you HAD to mention tube audio. I have an original Fender Super Reverb amp, dated actually Nov. '66. Matched with my American Strat or Gibson Les Paul the tone is to die for ! Long live vacuum tubes ! Ive been offered alot of money for that amp but no way I'll ever part with it .

Actually, yes. Its fully restored by me. 1951 Kuba Imperial. I have it currently hooked up with a period correct Perpetuum Ebner Rex turntable. Although not a concours restoration, they fill the house with sound. Tube audio is my other hobby.

I love tube amps!  There are some Hybrid amps out there now tube and solid state.  My best friend has one (that I've been painting all the custom guitars for) and it sounds amazing.  Really crisp and bright on the clean channel and absolutely shreads on the distortion channel.  I can't remeber what brand it is.  I'll have to ask him.

I don't own any electric guitars anymore, now I just have my black Epiphone acoustic.  I think I'm going to build myself a custom 7 string though and get a Line 6 Pod and a small practice amp.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 11:05:31 pm
We've wandered.  I don't even remember the zip code of the original post...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 12:37:29 am
I have a '66 or '67 Fender Twin Reverb amp.
It's only problem is it is the solid state version that isn't worth much.
It sits out in my storage house while I use my small Marshall.

I hope RE-Memphis finally figured out there is nothing wrong with his bike. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 02:48:38 am
Yes Jim, I sincerely hope he doesn't fix something that isn't broken. I worked on my G5 today, just making sure its bullet proof for a long ride next week to Beatty, Nevada. Going to stay there and explore Death Valley. Going to meet the SoCal Norton Boys there next weekend . Should be fun. Its going to be a long haul for sure but I'm up for it.  Twin Reverbs are real screamers. Love the tandem 12 " speakers. They have a sound all there own. I never knew they made them in solid state. <Must be a silver face. I don't think theres anything wrong with mixing guitar amps and bikes, do you ?

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 06:45:48 am
I have a most excellent mandolin that i play with a hillbilly/folk band at most of the local boozers. One time I was doing sound for one of those long benefit gigs (had the mando with me) when by good buddy Ian Rilen of X fame(RIP) invited me to sit in with his outfit. I plugged into one of those old '60s  valve marshalls with about three knobs  and had the most excellent time playin distorted solos and feedback driven power chords. Gave my autograph to some crazy Japanese chicks who thought I was a legend. Now if only I could fit one of those amps on the  back of the g5 ,I feel sure my musical career would blossom once more.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 08:10:24 am
Cool!!!!!

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:53 pm
Hmmm. Think you would have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the road with a marshall stack on the back. They are heavier than that girl you dated when you thought no one was looking.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 04:24:06 pm
I have a most excellent mandolin that i play with a hillbilly/folk band at most of the local boozers.
Something about the enfield and a mando strapped across your back gets LOTS of attention!  (I've gotten a gig out of nowhere!)

Keep pick'n and riding.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

RE-Memphis

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 01:12:25 pm
I hope RE-Memphis finally figured out there is nothing wrong with his bike. :)

Runs like a dream.  :)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:37 pm
Something about the enfield and a mando strapped across your back gets LOTS of attention!  (I've gotten a gig out of nowhere!)

Keep pick'n and riding.
My brother from another mother in a distant land! Takin a hiatus at the moment.Our harp player died and our singers gone to scotland. hope youre rippin it up!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.