Author Topic: Loud silencer  (Read 19352 times)

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:27 pm
I'm guessing they are standing out-side for the "morning meeting" when they hear you coming.

other drivers, cocooned in their air-conditioned comfort barges will notice the safety-green color before they locate you by sound.  (unless you point the exhaust forward).
yeah, they're outside.our workplace fronts i-80. the guy that works next to me said he could hear me coming before i passed him one morning. i didn't realize it was that loud to others.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:52 pm
I'll steal that response from bikesnob. He got a T100 with an Arrow exhaust. BOOO!
Bare
Love the sound of the Arrow Exhaust, especially with the baffels out not really to loud.
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:28 am
i have a black D&D full exhaust (about 2000 miles on it) with the uni air filter and k&n crancase breather for $250+shipping.

the D&D is loud.
I was looking at getting the D&D when my funds allowed; do you still have it ? most importantly why are you getting rid of it?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 01:45:26 am
I put a Goldstar on my G5...do not know if it has baffles or not...I just know I could look in one end and see out the other....has a great bark, which I love. Simple install.

Karlos-1971

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 03:07:52 am
I put a Goldstar on my EFI B5 a couple of weeks ago together with a K&N pancake filter fitted inside the existing airbox. It is attached to the standard header pipe and is not upswept. The mid range torque is certainly up compared to the standard torpedo exhaust system, it seems to rev easier too and the bark is great. However, it has also added backfire to the noise "profile" which is less attractive here in Australia! The Goldie is a straight through as described by a previous poster - anyone else had problems with a backfire after the exhaust change ?

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:25:26 am
Welcome to the forum Karlos.  Backfiring is sometimes caused by an exhaust leak or running too lean.  Check all the exhaust connections first.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 04:51:36 am
Personally, I wouldn't want a straight thru silencer on my fuel injected RE.

When straight thru silencers are installed on a carburetored bike it always makes the fuel/air mixture run lean which causes the engine to backfire on deceleration.  To correct this, larger jets are installed in the carburetor.

With a fuel injected motorcycle I believe there is a limit to how much the ECU can do to enrichen the fuel/air mixture if a straight thru silencer is installed.

When I installed the Harley silencer on my G5, I drilled a few holes thru the deflector plug to increase the exhaust flow and then rode the bike listening for the tell-tale backfire.
I continued this drilling and testing until the engine would just occasionally 'pop' on decel and stopped right there. 
The spark plug shows normal colors after some 6000 miles of riding so I think I've got mine set just about at the limit.

I suppose a person could adjust the TPS (Throttle position sensor) to obtain a richer fuel mix but there is a chance of frinkling up the setting for other throttle positions.  :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 02:13:46 pm
The TPS has no adjustment, and even if it did have an adjustment, it would only adjust the idle speed.  Richening an EFI fuel system can usually only be done by either replacing the O2 sensor with a wide band sensor or by reflashing the ECU to spit out more fuel through the injectors.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 02:32:28 pm
The TPS has no adjustment

There is a way.. (without any reflashing, tweaks to O2 sensor etc):-X
ScooterBob and Ducati Scotty and a fair few know what I'm talking about lol. They were a great help.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12481.msg138759.html#msg138759
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10309.msg119217.html#msg119217

I richened the mixture by adjusting the TPS idle voltage when I installed my EFI silencer as it used to backfire a bit back then. But I returned the mixture back to its default idle voltage after a few 100 mi. My spark plug has been at the optimum colour it should be. NGKBPR6ES with a 0.7mm gap and idle set around 950RPM. Backfires very rarely.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:43:00 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 02:44:45 pm
There is a way.. (without any reflashing, tweaks to O2 sensor etc):-X
ScooterBob and Ducati Scotty and a fair few know what I'm talking about lol. They were a great help.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12481.msg138759.html#msg138759
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10309.msg119217.html#msg119217

I richened the mixture by adjusting the TPS idle voltage when I installed my EFI silencer as it used to backfire a bit back then. But I returned the mixture back to its default idle voltage after a few 100 mi. My spark plug has been at the optimum colour it should be. NGKBPR6ES with a 0.7mm gap and idle set around 950RPM. Backfires very rarely.

Interesting........  Just one more thing that makes fuel injection a PITA IMHO.  I'll take a carb over fuel injection any day of the week.

Scottie

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 02:52:48 pm
Interesting........  Just one more thing that makes fuel injection a PITA IMHO.  I'll take a carb over fuel injection any day of the week.

Scottie
This is my first bike..and I wanted a cast iron Bullet. However, it was hard to source an iron barrel here in Australia, plus the used ones on sale go around $5200+!!  :o So, I saw the B5..it matched the Bullet I wanted, but with the newer engine. I decided to purchase the UCE. Hitchcocks have the carb conversion set-up for the EFI. I might go that way in the future..or just buy a CI also. I want to experiment with the carbs as I've never done it before in my life lol. I might just add a petcock to the EFI rubber pipe just to mimic some of the carb's coolness  :-X
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:57:33 pm by JVS »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 02:59:42 pm
Don't get me wrong, fuel injection is great when it's working properly, but there is WAY TOO BIG of a grey area when sensors and relays start to go bad.  Sure you have an MIL light, and it will tell you the problem, but they WON'T always tell what is CAUSING the problem.

It's still weird to me that a TPS sensor would have an adjustment on it.  You'd think it'd be preset and there wouldn't be any need to monkey with it.

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:29:48 pm
Don't get me wrong, fuel injection is great when it's working properly, but there is WAY TOO BIG of a grey area when sensors and relays start to go bad.  Sure you have an MIL light, and it will tell you the problem, but they WON'T always tell what is CAUSING the problem.

It's still weird to me that a TPS sensor would have an adjustment on it.  You'd think it'd be preset and there wouldn't be any need to monkey with it.

Scottie

This is a good read, if your interested.  It's from the Car world, who are probably LIGHT years ahead of the bike world . But a lot of it apply's here.  There is also MUCH to be learned from the younger guys, who tune on ..... well ? .... Those tuned Cars that they drive. They get into tuning individual Sensors!....... Pretty crazy stuff. But it's pretty interesting if your into it.

http://www.enginelogics.com/ecu.html

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 04:57:58 pm

This is a good read, if your interested.  It's from the Car world, who are probably LIGHT years ahead of the bike world . But a lot of it apply's here.  There is also MUCH to be learned from the younger guys, who tune on ..... well ? ....  Those tuned Cars that they drive. They get into tuning individual Sensors!....... Pretty crazy stuff. But it's pretty interesting if your into it.

http://www.enginelogics.com/ecu.html

Holy crap that's a lot of reading!  No thanks.  Give me my old school carburated iron headed muscle!   8)

To keep on topic, I run cocktail shakers on my '58 Trailblazer and they are plenty loud.  Not sure if they would work with the UCE motors though.

Scottie

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:13 pm
To keep on topic, I run cocktail shakers on my '58 Trailblazer and they are plenty loud.  Not sure if they would work with the UCE motors though.
Scottie

They do  :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_x4gyKHabM