Author Topic: Lowering an Electra  (Read 6738 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 31, 2007, 12:18:19 am
After my Lady's ride on my Bullet yesterday, she has decided that it is more fun riding an Enfield than anything else, so wants one.  I will be buying in January, next year, as my money comes in periodic lumps.. :)

Problem is, the seat height is 30 inches, and that is more than my Lady has legs for. We have chosen the Electra for the disc brake, more reliable engine, etc....  What can be done to lower the seat height to about 27 inches, without detracting from looks or comfort?  She weighs 100 pounds with gear on, so the seat could be less padded maybe.  We will be riding the bikes a lot, me on my soon to be purchased Military, she on her Electra, or both together on my soon to be hacked up Bullet.  We have a lot of plans for the new year.

So, guys, Ideas please!!
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:34:44 am
The English importer, Watsonian-Squire, has a low seat for the Electra. I don't see it on the CMW site, but you can check it out here:

http://royal-enfield.com/seats.htm

I like the circular bar-end mirrors they offer in the UK.

Jeff

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:11:48 am
Thank you for the link - I will save it, and when the time comes, I will order from them direct, unless I can get the seat here.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:24:57 am
I have the solo seat from CMW without the springs... nice and low...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=7

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:32:40 am
Thanks deejay, what is the seat height? the lower the better. She is a 27 inch groin to ground person.. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 02:33:46 am
30" from the lowest part of the seat to the ground. I measured the bike off the center stand (almost dropped it in the garage :o), but without anyone on it. I'm sure the bike would drop an inch or so with some weight on it.

I'm sure the electra has a different height anyways...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:44:20 am by deejay »

Milkman

• Cat Wrestler
  • Neophyte
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 04:48:06 pm
A heads-up suspension guy should be able to get you squared away. If you're willing to take your shocks and forks apart, a local machinist ought to be able to get you there too. I don't know what the seats feel like (this is my first post, just trying to get a feel for these things before I buy one), but I would suspect that a comfortable seat might feel better w/ less suspension travel, especially considering how much height may need to be removed.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 02:57:08 am
I think you're right about being able to alter the suspention. My Electra hs a lot of ground clearence for a road bike. It looks like it should be easy enough to drop the springs about an inch or two.