Author Topic: '54 250 Clipper question  (Read 2918 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:45 am
Hello all,
I have an opportunity to buy a 1954 250cc Clipper as a restoration project. Having a look at the thing and speaking with the seller, most of the parts seem to be with it (but there is always something important missing isn't there! :()

My main question is this...where the casquette should be, instead there is a handlebar yoke and headlight brackets, and the ammeter is on top of the headlight. Every photo of this model bike I have ever seen shows a casquette housing the ammeter and speedo. Does anyone know if Clippers left the factory without the casquette?

I suspect some previous owner either tried to make an "authentic" 1950's look and/or the casquette was missing and this configuration was put on instead.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:28:50 pm
Can you post a pic of what there is?  Sounds like someone may have replaced the forks.  As far as the ammeter, my '58 Trailblazer has it mounted on top of the head light housing.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:07:55 pm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Royal-Enfield-1954-Clipper-Motorcycle-/171016236517?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item27d15cade5

Thanks for the advice and assistance. I don't think these bikes are particularly valuable, but they seem to be rather rare.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:23:48 pm
The price seems kind of high for the engine being disassembled, though it is in pretty nice condition.  Depending on what the motor needs I don't think it would take a whole lot to finish that motor up and get it riding.  It won't be very fast as its only a250,.but would be a great bike to get you around town and down the dirt roads.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:52 pm
There were two '54 Clipper models, the G and the S. The S was a rigid frame bike with no casquette, but the headlight mount was different, too. The G was a swing arm model with a casquette without pilot lights.
Those headlight mounts look like the one on the American "Indians" and would have dated the bike as a '55. Or it's possible the Aussies got something not quite the same as the homebrew stuff. Exports are not always the same as what the locals get! The "Indian" versions could have been what Enfield was using as their standard export model.
Bare
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:40:03 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com