Author Topic: Bullet G5 as first motorcycle  (Read 10050 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 10:16:49 pm
It is a bit closer to the right size! Don't get me wrong, they are nice bikes.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 10:17:04 pm
Be nice guys...I rode Harleys for years and got along fine...Okay they do drink gas, they handle like the big heavy tanks they are....And you are right, they are wildly over priced...

When is is raining or something...I go out in the garage and look at my G5 Deluxe, it makes me smile every time. I do love riding that thing. Nimble describes it well.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:26 am
My two main gripes with Harley are the overpricing and full indoctrination.  You can't buy a bike, you need to buy a bike, and an HD branded jacket, and an HD branded helmet, and HD branded boots, and an HD branded gloves, and an HD branded doo rag...

Seriously?  The gear costs as much as the bike!  Of course it does last forever, because sitting at the coffee shop isn't really that hard on it.

I like it when I see a slightly dirty HD with some real miles on it; someone who rides more than they polish.  All too rare these days.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 12:37:54 am
+lots and lots....., ;D
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:05 am
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Im getting excited. Not this weekend but next I have my MSF beginning riders class. HD has to rebrand it "Riders Edge" ok whatever....

I am reading the handbook provided by the state that goes over the laws and such in Texas. To say it is dry reading is an understatement. Its not Unix manual dry, but its close.

I do wish Royal Enfield had a chart or something to show the difference between their models. Because to some degree they are all so close looking to me.

I have ruled out the Cleveland Cyclewerks bikes. I don't want to have to get tons of mods from the start with a bike. I want it to work as is.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 11:54:51 am
I don't want to have to get tons of mods from the start with a bike.

;D ;D ;D

Just to be clear, Joel - that's funny because almost everybody here has "modded" their bike - not because they had to, but because they wanted to!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:25 pm
To get right down to it all three bike models are very close in spec. There's nothing really there that should influence you. The differences are basically visual. Seats and side panels are the biggest thing. Pick the one you like and go with it. The C5 and G5 engines look slightly different, but again, it's all visual. Internally they are the same.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 07:21:29 pm
+1.  Same goes for the Deulxe models.  Same-same, just shinier and a little more money.

Scott

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 10:09:29 pm
Biggest difference between C5 and E/G5 are the wheels and front sprockets. 18" versus 19" for wheels, 18 vs 17 teeth for sprockets. It results in different character and different riding.

The variance is large enough to warrant a considered choice.
It's like cats and dogs. Both are great pets, different characters. :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:56 pm
But the only way you can tell the difference is riding them each of them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 11:48:22 pm
I think it would be pretty hard to keep it standard. The first thing I attacked was the muffler..........EFI version from England.
Hitchcock's in the UK will be your very best friend. Best part about the R/E range - the accessories are cheap and look good!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 12:30:43 am
But the only way you can tell the difference is riding them each of them.
Bare

True enough.
Very little beats a test ride. Helped me on more than one occasion.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 01:49:59 am
I never rode one until mine was delivered from up north....bought it on eBay and I just knew, I would love it....and I do!

Dearmas54

• Neophyte
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 04:09:46 am
Hey Joel. I am in Fort Worth and I was in the same situation as you looking for my first bike ever.  Fell in love with the looks of Royal Enfield.  Been looking for months for an older used RE and found a 2000 500 Classic and bought it same day. Being someone that has never ridden a bike, this has been the easiest thing to do. The bike is easy to ride and simple enough that you don't need a vast motorcycle knowledge to operate.  I've had it for a week now and went from not knowing how to start it (no electric start) when I bought it to being able to get on the highway with it for a short ride to work. My favorite rides are cruising through downtown or the 45-55mph rides. Just the opinion of a new rider, but RE is the way to go.  The Harley's all my friends tried to get me into don't compare.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 04:44:36 pm
So what do you guys think about engine guards.... On all of the pics of bikes in india it looks like they are standard. Do you think its worth getting? I am seriously considering having them so if I drop the bike it will be better protected. Thoughts??

Cause from what I gather everyone drops their bike at some point, especially when starting out.