Author Topic: Bullet G5 as first motorcycle  (Read 10034 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: April 05, 2013, 07:32:55 pm
I am in process getting my motorcycle license. I finish the MSF beginner rider course in a couple of weeks. Then I will have my motorcycle endorsement.

I really love the look of the Royal Enfields. How would a Classic G5 be as a first bike?
I am 6'-0" tall and 260 pounds. I don't think I am too big for this bike. On the freeway would I be able to get it to 65 or 70 for any length of time?

Thoughts about this? I really love how the Enfields are all metal.

Anyone in Dallas, or north Texas own one?
Also, how is Strokers Dallas as an Enfield Dealer. They seem like a great group of folks.

Looking forward to hearing what others think.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:24 pm
I think it would do fine. Many of us here are fairly big, and it works out all right.
The G5 and all the UCE bikes can handle normal freeway speeds. Some might say the vibration is more noticeable at those speeds, but it can be done.

These new UCE bikes have been developed to be able to handle some tasks that were beyond the ability of the older stock RE bikes from the past. Particularly the highway cruising stuff.

You should get plenty of testimonials here on this thread.
Fridays are a slow day on the forum here, so it might take a little while for everybody to get here and read this.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:48:21 pm
Hi Joel -- you'll love the bike. I have a 2010 C5 which is (roughly) the same bike you're taking about.

I bought my bike new in December as my first motorcycle (immediately after taking MSF) and it's been great -- I've ridden almost 2500 miles in 3 months, including a number of 100-mile days and a 150-mile day. I ride every day except when it's icy.

I'm just back from a 250-mile trip, most of which I spent at 65-70.

I'm 6 foot 2, 250 pounds, so I'm roughly the same size as you, and I don't find the bike too small. The upright riding position is comfortable (I prefer it, to save my back) and I like being able to put down both feet easily when necessary (so that, for instance, I can pull over and take my hands off the handlebars so I can fiddle with my GPS).

The bike is most fun to ride at 55-60 but it's easy to get the bike up to 65-70mph. For short periods I've even cruised at 75. There's some vibration in the handlebars and footpegs above about 60 but it's merely a bit uncomfortable, not unsafe.

In the past few months I've rented and ridden other bikes, but so far there's nothing I've found that I like better.

This forum has been very helpful -- in fact, they helped me repair an electrical problem with my bike just this week!

Happy to answer any specific questions you have.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:51:00 pm
One more thing: if memory serves, there's an Enfield dealer in Fort Worth that does a lot of volume. I remember seeing their ads when I was shopping last year.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:35:37 pm
The Fort Worth guy is the number 1 dealer in the US. I guess he makes some good deals!
Personally, I prefer the G5 over the C5. Actually I was intended to get a B5 when I bought mine, but the healers hadn't received them yet, so I tossed it up between the C5 and G5. The G5 won. Mainly I like the seat a lot better. It's very comfortable for me, although my riding brother from another mother is big guy pretty close to you in height and weight, and the seat didn't suit him. He kinda collapsed the foam to the bottom and it ended up too hard for him. But it's a tossup. Some guys don't like the C5 seat either. He got another single seat that suits him fine, now. But make no mistake, He loves the bike and has over 20,000 miles on it
But they're are like any bike, you can and will find things you want to change for you! Now I'm waiting for the Cafe Racer and hoping the seat will hold up for those 300+ mile days we put in!
As for the vibration, I was never bothered by it at any speed and I had to an indicated 91 one day. I've owned a lot of bikes that were a lot worse!
I loved the mileage I got, it handled quite well. It just did everything well.
It's probably my favorite out of the 50 bikes I've owned in the last 50+ years. Definitely the most just plain fun. More smiles per mile than anything else! 
Bare
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:45:57 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

MegaMoo

• Scooter
  • Thumping in Paradise
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:27:45 pm
I agree, my C5 is my first bike so far and I love it. It's easy to work on to do basic maintenance etc. I live on an island so I rarely get above 60mph but that 55-60 speed is LOVELY!

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:52 pm
Well I am excited about test riding it. I'm seriously considering it. My friends think I am crazy to think of anything besides a Harley Davidson. The funny thing, the most vocal Harley Davidson supporters are people who *don't* ride. I find that funny.

Yeah, the cafe racer looks great.
Im also considering the Cleveland Cyclewerks "the Misfit".
To be honest I thought I would love the Harley Davidson Sportster series. I just didn't

But I love the vintage look of the Royal Enfields.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:39 pm
Joel, I like the look of the Cleveland Cycle Works bikes too, and look forward to test driving one. But I suspect the Enfields are more sturdy. They're built in India for Indian roads. I ride mine daily on NYC roads (not so different) and it has held up well.

I rented a HD Sportster 1200 in Calif last month and rode it 200 miles. I had lots of fun (it was a bit gentler at highway speed) but I was really happy to get home to my light, maneuverable RE.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:54:52 pm
Frankly, to my mind,  if a Hardly were the only bike out there, I'd quit riding! I can't imagine a machine with more things wrong with it, except all the Hardly clones! They are tanks that handle poorly, won't turn, they sure aren't good looking, ridiculously overpriced!
The people that think 200 decibels is OK to ride on the street just boggle my mind. I guess that's what they do best, make noise to cover up the lack of any other capability....I don't know. I guess you've seen their ads about 80% of the Hardlys that have been built since 1990 are still on the road.....the rest of them made it home.
Well, my Hardly Ferguson bash for the day, I guess. I really do know some nice people that ride them, I just don't understand them. I hate it when people find out I ride, then ask me if I ride a Hardly. I make it quite clear that I don't and would never. And ask, why would I want to?
The Misfit is kinda interesting, though. I wouldn't get one instead of the RE, maybe one for my wife if she ever decides she wants to ride.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:41 pm
Come on Bare, you can bash better then that ! Whatever happened to " they dress like gay pirates " ?
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:09:18 pm
HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:21:31 pm
I believe the Misfit is a 250cc air cooled single cylindervbike.  Doing freeway speeds on that may not be possible.  If it us your probably really pushing the limit.

Scott

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:26:42 pm
I dont think Cleveland Cycle Werks is ready for prime time just yet. Maybe in a few years they will iron out their bugs, or ....cease to exist.  Here is a review: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012NovMisfit.pdf

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 11:38:20 pm
Come on Bare, you can bash better then that ! Whatever happened to " they dress like gay pirates " ?

What do hound dogs and hardly davidsons have in common?

They both spend most of their lives in the back of pick up trucks.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 11:53:58 pm
Well I am going to test ride a few bikes. There have been some pretty positive reviews of the Clevelands. But I know the Royal Enfields are pretty tough. My indian coworkers rave about them. I love how they look and the felt really solid when I sat on one.

So Im excited to get my license and make a purchase. Its so interesting to me that the same people who tell me an Enfield isnt a serious bike and that I need to be able to go 80 or 90 MPH on a bike will a few minutes later tell me that motorcycles are unsafe period.

So I learned my most important lesson. If you don't have a motorcycle, a license and ride very very often, I don't care what you think. I am the one who will be riding, not you. I don't have the masculinity issues with my vehicles. My car is a Scion XB and I love it. Yeah, its a big old box, so!

I am getting really excited about learning to ride and getting a motorcycle. My best friend is doing the same thing and he has his heart set on a Harley. That fine. But I am drawn elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it.

Rich Mintz, I am really enjoying your blog. Im going back a bunch a pages and tracing your steps as a rider. Its fascinating. I also love NYC. I grew up in Washington DC.

I know my learning curve is going to be a bit more steep as I havent driven a manual transmission car since I was 18. Im now 41. So I have a lot to learn.

But before the summer fully hits I will have finished the class, have a license, insurance, a helmet and gear and a motorcycle. The more I learn about the Enfields the more I like them.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 12:08:59 am
What do hound dogs and hardly davidsons have in common?

They both spend most of their lives in the back of pick up trucks.
Love it Desi !

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 12:28:46 am

The people that think 200 decibels is OK to ride on the street just boggle my mind. I guess that's what they do best, make noise to cover up the lack of any other capability....I don't know. I guess you've seen their ads about 80% of the Hardlys that have been built since 1990 are still on the road.....the rest of them made it home.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Classic.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:33:03 am
Joel:  First off, welcome to the forum. :)
Just a few thoughts about the RE.
For a new rider, I don't think there is a better bike out there and for the speeds your mentioning, the G5 is the way to go.
It has a slightly different frame than the B5 and C5 so it is rock steady at those speeds.

More importantly for right now, all of the RE 500's have more than enough power for city riding without having so much power that it will get you into trouble.
(Some of the more powerful crotch rocket bikes tend to be very "peaky" with docile power up to a certain rpm and then "HOLY CRIPES!!"   The RE tends to start off with more than enough power and it smoothly just keeps on pulling up to the next shift point.)

Speaking of power, I haven't ridden the 250cc Cleveland bike but I suspect it lacks low speed torque so to get any real power out of it, it will need to be reved up to high rpms a lot.. 
The RE on the other hand is Pure Torque right from the start.
Although its horsepower is limited by its long stroke engine it still has enough power to keep it from becoming boring after you get a lot of miles of riding it.

IMO, except for the 883's, all Hardly Davidson's are way too heavy and if a guy gets a 883, most Hardly riders will frown at it and tell you that "only a girl will ride a 883".

Anyway, I've owned my G5 for almost 2 years and 9600 miles.
  Except for replacing the rear chain, a few light bulbs and the fuel level switch breaking it has been 100% reliable.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 12:39:16 am
Joel,

Just curious what other bikes you're looking at.  Honda has three new 500cc bikes this year, all would make good first bikes.

Scott

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 01:30:43 am
Joel,
Welcome to the forum!  As one Dallas rider to another, the G5/B5 are your best choices of the currently available Royal Enfields for Dallas commuting and a great choice as a beginner platform.  While the speed limits on Central, LBJ, DNTW, and 190 are in the 60-70 mph range, depending on time of day much of the traffic will move at 40-45 or 70-75mph.  The G5 (after the break-in period) will be able to keep up with traffic, but it won't leave you with much in reserve if you feel the need to throttle up to get out of someone's way.  Between now and when you buy your bike, analyze your commute and see how frequently you feel the need to exceed 70mph.  For non-expressway riding the Royal Enfields are great, easy to handle and just fun to ride.

If you go with the G5, I'd recommend changing the front tire to something that provides more tread in a lean.  I have a C5 and haven't ridden the G5 much but the front tire looks like it would slide out under aggressive riding.

I bought my C5 from Michael at Royal Enfield of Fort Worth.  While they are primarily a used bike dealer, Royal Enfield is their only New bike brand and they are very enthusiastic about them and provide a good sales experience.  I bought parts from Strokers and found the guys there to be a good group as well, but the Royal Enfields seem to take a back seat to their big cruisers and they weren't as knowledgeable.

For helmets, jackets, boots and other gear check out Moto Liberty near 635 and Josey; they are the best in Dallas.  Cycle Gear on 75 and Park would be my second choice.

I wouldn't buy a bike smaller than 500cc for the Dallas area.  If you would like to get together over lunch and talk bikes, let me know.  I'm in Richardson.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 01:52:41 am
Joel,

If it's still available and you have the cash, I'd jump on this deal in a heartbeat:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3652407808.html

I think his price might be a little high, but they don't come up for sale very often.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Seems pricey. 

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:10 am
well, i just survived my 55th birthday, and i think my g5 is going to be my last bike!(yeah,sure). my first was a 68 cb350 with no rear brake .so it's kind of like full circle. you will enjoy your choice of enfield.if you are anything like me,any bike you don't have to pedal is a thrill.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 04:41:31 am
Hi Joel-in-dallas and welcome aboard.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 04:53:22 am
If it's still available and you have the cash, I'd jump on this deal in a heartbeat:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3652407808.html
Thanks a nice w650.  It is pricey tho. Id expect the recent article in Motorcycle Classic is driving prices up.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 04:30:02 pm
I think it's bizarre that Kawasaki doesn't bring the w850 or whatever the current one is to the U.S. I guess the W650 didn't sell well at the time but every time I see a W650 for sale people get new bike prices for them! New Bonnevilles seem to be selling just fine and I like the Kawi better myself.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 05:12:30 pm
+1!  They don't seem to have any trouble selling Bonnies and from all the reviews the W650 was more faithful to the old British aesthetic and higher quality that the Triumphs.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 05:48:51 pm
The thing I really like about the w650 and the Enfield,  too, for that matter is that there is a long history behind the design and not just a retro looking new bike.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 09:07:23 pm
What is the long history about a W650? The designation used in the early '60s was W1 or W2 for a copy of an A10 BSA that was produced for maybe 3 or 4 years. Then the W650 popped up in the 90s as an OHC vertical twin with some styling cues from Triumph. that one was around 4 or 5 years. And now they have the W850 that's an enlarged 650.  They may have been produced longer in Japan, but they sure never reached the States for very long. The original '60s machine certainly had no connection with the later one other than being a vertical twin emulating a  Brit bike. Kinda like comparing 1962 Honda Hawk to a 1990 Honda Hawk. I don't a have anything against any of those bikes, bike I sure don't understand what the connective tissue is between any of them, well, maybe the '90s W650 and current W850.
Even Triumph doesn't actually try to pass their twins off as anything originally from the legacy years. Their styling are cues there, but they today's bikes different enough to keep those who know the old ones from being confused.
Let the newbies be confused because most of them will probably never have any experience on the old ones anyway!
On the other hand, Royal Enfields of today are still not that far separated from the old ones in feel and performance. They are about the same size and weight and shake about the same and just feel like a classic motorcycle. Triumphs and Kawasakis don't! Nor do SR500s and GB500s.
Pardon me, and my rants, but I guess if a motorcycle isn't older than I am, or it was at least there when I started riding, it's not very classic!! I guess that's what getting old does to you. It is bad when your talking about the bikes you raced were never heard of by your audience! And that includes BSA, once the biggest motorcycle company in the world!
OTOH, I do have fun screwing with you guys!
Bare
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:16:43 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 10:05:38 pm
All I thought is that it looked more like an old triumph than a new triumph.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 10:16:49 pm
It is a bit closer to the right size! Don't get me wrong, they are nice bikes.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 10:17:04 pm
Be nice guys...I rode Harleys for years and got along fine...Okay they do drink gas, they handle like the big heavy tanks they are....And you are right, they are wildly over priced...

When is is raining or something...I go out in the garage and look at my G5 Deluxe, it makes me smile every time. I do love riding that thing. Nimble describes it well.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:26 am
My two main gripes with Harley are the overpricing and full indoctrination.  You can't buy a bike, you need to buy a bike, and an HD branded jacket, and an HD branded helmet, and HD branded boots, and an HD branded gloves, and an HD branded doo rag...

Seriously?  The gear costs as much as the bike!  Of course it does last forever, because sitting at the coffee shop isn't really that hard on it.

I like it when I see a slightly dirty HD with some real miles on it; someone who rides more than they polish.  All too rare these days.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 12:37:54 am
+lots and lots....., ;D
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:05 am
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Im getting excited. Not this weekend but next I have my MSF beginning riders class. HD has to rebrand it "Riders Edge" ok whatever....

I am reading the handbook provided by the state that goes over the laws and such in Texas. To say it is dry reading is an understatement. Its not Unix manual dry, but its close.

I do wish Royal Enfield had a chart or something to show the difference between their models. Because to some degree they are all so close looking to me.

I have ruled out the Cleveland Cyclewerks bikes. I don't want to have to get tons of mods from the start with a bike. I want it to work as is.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 11:54:51 am
I don't want to have to get tons of mods from the start with a bike.

;D ;D ;D

Just to be clear, Joel - that's funny because almost everybody here has "modded" their bike - not because they had to, but because they wanted to!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:25 pm
To get right down to it all three bike models are very close in spec. There's nothing really there that should influence you. The differences are basically visual. Seats and side panels are the biggest thing. Pick the one you like and go with it. The C5 and G5 engines look slightly different, but again, it's all visual. Internally they are the same.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 07:21:29 pm
+1.  Same goes for the Deulxe models.  Same-same, just shinier and a little more money.

Scott

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 10:09:29 pm
Biggest difference between C5 and E/G5 are the wheels and front sprockets. 18" versus 19" for wheels, 18 vs 17 teeth for sprockets. It results in different character and different riding.

The variance is large enough to warrant a considered choice.
It's like cats and dogs. Both are great pets, different characters. :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:56 pm
But the only way you can tell the difference is riding them each of them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 11:48:22 pm
I think it would be pretty hard to keep it standard. The first thing I attacked was the muffler..........EFI version from England.
Hitchcock's in the UK will be your very best friend. Best part about the R/E range - the accessories are cheap and look good!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 12:30:43 am
But the only way you can tell the difference is riding them each of them.
Bare

True enough.
Very little beats a test ride. Helped me on more than one occasion.  ;D

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 01:49:59 am
I never rode one until mine was delivered from up north....bought it on eBay and I just knew, I would love it....and I do!

Dearmas54

• Neophyte
Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 04:09:46 am
Hey Joel. I am in Fort Worth and I was in the same situation as you looking for my first bike ever.  Fell in love with the looks of Royal Enfield.  Been looking for months for an older used RE and found a 2000 500 Classic and bought it same day. Being someone that has never ridden a bike, this has been the easiest thing to do. The bike is easy to ride and simple enough that you don't need a vast motorcycle knowledge to operate.  I've had it for a week now and went from not knowing how to start it (no electric start) when I bought it to being able to get on the highway with it for a short ride to work. My favorite rides are cruising through downtown or the 45-55mph rides. Just the opinion of a new rider, but RE is the way to go.  The Harley's all my friends tried to get me into don't compare.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 04:44:36 pm
So what do you guys think about engine guards.... On all of the pics of bikes in india it looks like they are standard. Do you think its worth getting? I am seriously considering having them so if I drop the bike it will be better protected. Thoughts??

Cause from what I gather everyone drops their bike at some point, especially when starting out.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 04:55:54 pm
Hey Joel. I am in Fort Worth and I was in the same situation as you looking for my first bike ever.  Fell in love with the looks of Royal Enfield.  Been looking for months for an older used RE and found a 2000 500 Classic and bought it same day. Being someone that has never ridden a bike, this has been the easiest thing to do. The bike is easy to ride and simple enough that you don't need a vast motorcycle knowledge to operate.  I've had it for a week now and went from not knowing how to start it (no electric start) when I bought it to being able to get on the highway with it for a short ride to work. My favorite rides are cruising through downtown or the 45-55mph rides. Just the opinion of a new rider, but RE is the way to go.  The Harley's all my friends tried to get me into don't compare.

Dearmas54,
Please understand that the 2000 model is a vintage design which is not the same as the new models.
The old models like that have to avoid sustained speeds over 55mph. You can easily go more than 55mph, but don't try to hold that speed for more than a few minutes, or the piston can seize.
Just trying to save you some heartache. This isn't a "negotiable" issue. You must observe this rule with the older bikes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 05:50:32 pm
.........everyone drops their bike at some point, especially when starting out.

Or, when stopping !   ;D ;D ;D
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 06:21:52 pm
Cause from what I gather everyone drops their bike at some point, especially when starting out.

Yeah, I dropped mine the second day I had it. Fortunately the only damage was my pride and a tiny dent in the tank where the handlebar switch box hit it. I dropped I because had couple of mufflers bungied on the back seat and they were pushing me forward of where I shoulda been and I got my foot hung up between the footpeg an shifter. I fell over.
He bike ended up getting rearended about three weeks later, so I had an out to get a new tank! and a lot of other damaged bits!
As for crash guards also known as bumper grabbers, IMHO, they are ugly as hell and sometimes cause more damage than they prevent as in bent frames.
The footpegs are pretty good crash guards by themselves. They pretty much keep the engine cases off the ground.
I don't know why the Indians like them so well, maybe it give some of the three or four passengers they seem to carry quite a bit, something to hold onto.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 06:55:17 pm
The engine guards generally do a good job of keeping dents out of your tank bu not letting the bars get to the gound where they'll swing into it.  If you're concerned I'd get one.  There are plenty to choose from and none are really expensive.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 07:27:10 pm
When I dropped my bike at low speed in the first month, the footpeg took the impact. The Enfields have a rigid footpeg post that can absorb a lot of impact. (Mine bent and had to be replaced.)
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 07:46:06 pm
I have an old fork tube that I slide over the end of the bent footpeg and straighten it. It also serves as a nice extension when a breaker bar needs a little additional length. It as been an indispensable tool for working on an Enfield.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 10:10:37 pm
I like the butterfly style. Would be also handy for attaching and fastening useful stuff. But...
From Indian forums comes tales of the cheaper ones that rather bend than defend. So perhaps not jump to bargain deals.

Currently I have a sober model, often referred to as the Indian military style. Not too practical for attaching or fastening stuff but it has already done its duty. A reliable grunt.  ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 12:49:45 am
A lot of the Indian riders seem to think the engine guards are there to keep their legs from getting trapped under the bike if they get in an accident. 

There are also a lot of Indian riders who claim the RE engine guards will trap their legs when the bike gets in an accident.  This is especially true with their thoughts about the guard that is styled to wrap around the area where the riders feet are.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on them to protect or trap my legs in an accident but they are useful for giving the motorcycle some protection as it goes sliding down the road after an accident.
During my 12 years of riding my BMW, its engine guard bars probably saved me at least $1000 by protecting the expensive valve cover.  (It was a 3 cylinder K-75 with its DOHC sticking out the left side).

So far (with the Honda, Suzuki and BMW) every time my bike has hit the ground when I was riding it, my feet were well above anyplace that could be trapped by engine bars because I've always kicked up and off as the bike was going down.  I usually ended up either sliding along side of it or riding it like a belly board. :)

Personally I like them if the bike is set up as a mild "dresser" and I think they are absolutely needed to make a Military bike look the part.
I wouldn't put them on a scrambler or cafe racer though.  To me, they would look totally out of place on either of those.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 02:06:14 am
They are not there to protect you in any way.  I believe the Hurt report found a higher incidence of lower leg injuries on bikes equipped with crash bars.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 04:53:50 am
I've "tested" crash bars before.

They work within their parameters I.E. deflecting stuff saving the tank/leg/bar ends in low speed slides etc.

No they will not save your leg when a car T-bones you nor will they do any good in a 60 mph endo but then my helmet wont save my life if hit by a freight train either.

Asses your risk, odds and consequences and ride accordingly.

BTW "crash bars" do come in handy for laying a bike on its side to remove a tire with out causing damage to the rest of the bike.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 06:12:41 am
I've never used engine gaurds, but then again I grew riding dirt bike and never needed them.  Personally I think they're gaudy and just add extra weight.  But, to each their own.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 06:17:21 am
+1 Scottie J , friends dont let friends mount engine guards to there bikes. Are training wheels next ?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:42 pm
I've "tested" crash bars before.

They work within their parameters I.E. deflecting stuff saving the tank/leg/bar ends in low speed slides etc.

No they will not save your leg when a car T-bones you nor will they do any good in a 60 mph endo but then my helmet wont save my life if hit by a freight train either.

Asses your risk, odds and consequences and ride accordingly.

BTW "crash bars" do come in handy for laying a bike on its side to remove a tire with out causing damage to the rest of the bike.

+1
They're a useful multiple purpose tool.
Like a Leatherman, but bigger.

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 02:37:11 am
Since most beginning riders drop their bikes, tanks are expensive, and parts from India are known to take a while to arrive; crash bars are cheap insurance to minimize potential damage from a low speed screw up.

Dearmas54

• Neophyte
Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 03:30:12 am
Dearmas54,
Please understand that the 2000 model is a vintage design which is not the same as the new models.
The old models like that have to avoid sustained speeds over 55mph. You can easily go more than 55mph, but don't try to hold that speed for more than a few minutes, or the piston can seize.
Just trying to save you some heartache. This isn't a "negotiable" issue. You must observe this rule with the older bikes.

Understood Ace. Never get it over 65 on speedometer which I've learned is pretty close to 55mph. It's not built for speed, which was one of my reasons for choosing RE. Only has 350 miles so still taking it pretty easy. Thanks for the info.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:31 am
IMO, with only 350 miles on it, it hasn't even begin to break in.
Speeds like 65 (or 55 if you prefer) mph shouldn't even be tried for a little while.

These iron barrel engines were designed back in the 1940's and haven't changed greatly.
They require "old fashioned" break in periods to allow the moving parts to gently rub off the tight areas and the high spots.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe