Author Topic: Sudden loss of power (and: reflections on being stranded by the side of the road  (Read 9338 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Rich,
As for some dealers not wanting to touch an Enfield, be glad of that. These bikes are not the same as the rest of the Kawazukahamas out there. Even though they are a lot simpler doesn't mean they have a clue about what makes 'em tick.
Now, if it's the guy you brought it from and promised you service, you can look at two ways, be pissed because he lied to you or be thankful because he probably didn't know what he was doing in the first place!
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
It could be the ECU ground! Trying to figure out where it goes.

The other end is tied into the ground wire at the battery.........Negative side. Check it.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
SUCCESS!! Lalalalalalaaaaaa

Thank you!!!!

Now to put it all back together and get home!!
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
SUCCESS!! Lalalalalalaaaaaa

Thank you!!!!

Now to put it all back together and get home!!

OUTSTANDING !   If you ever come across the river to Jersey , we'll have a beer.....

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
what exactly was wrong?!

Glad you got it fixed.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
The ECU/EFI ground wire leading from the area of the top of the engine had come loose (loose connector near the battery terminal). I guess it pulled loose (but not fully apart) while riding. The 200 mile truck trip jostled it back together so the bike started tonight but only went 3 blocks and died again, jostling it fully apart. Plugging it back in fixed it. I put some electrical tape on to hold it.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Awesome detective work everyone. With a forum.like this, who needs a servicing dealer that makes you wait for two weeks.  Good job Rich,  ride on.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Awesome detective work everyone. With a forum.like this, who needs a servicing dealer that makes you wait for two weeks.  Good job Rich,  ride on.

So true.  I didn't know squat about bikes, much less Royal Enfields, until I showed up here.  Since that fateful day, I have been able to troubleshoot problems, perform maintenance, and modify my machine using nothing more than the wisdom and experience from the fine folks here.  It's been quite a ride, to mix a metaphor.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
with all our input - the time might come when the dealer logs on to this site to sought out the problem lol

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
  Yup, good job boys. I just perked up after you all had him check the other obvious stuff.... then he mentioned that connector.  That Black connector has a snap lock on it. And should have been snapped when you put in a battery.... I've made the same mistake....

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
I say for the sake of others that we get a picture of the culprit up on this thread so it can be identified by some(like me) that don't know and just want to make sure. what do you say rich?

it'll be good to put in my memory bank of electrical things to check.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Sure - it's wrapped in electrical tape now but this weekend I'll open it up, take a picture, and then secure it again.

The snap lock is broken - that's why it came apart...
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Follow the small wire off the negative bsttery terminal, it's just a few inches down.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Nice one, Rich!

I know that connector well; I messed with a few of them in that area when I replaced my battery cable ends and had to re-lead the positive cable to make it all fit.  I ended up with similar problem - I unplugged the 2-wire connector between the starter switch and the starter relay, which lives in that same spot (white connector, IIRC, black and white/blue wires).  The little bar that secures the lock tab for the connector busted right off when I pressed the tab to release it.  I secured it with some "twist-wire", but I'll have to watch it in case of starter issues in the future.

There isn't much spare wire there, but has anybody ever replaced these things?  If so, does one get a matching OEM fitting, or is it easier or better to buy a different connector, say from NAPA or some other such?  Rich may want more than just electric tape keeping his bike running...

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Hey, there is a dealer in Winchester Virginia. I have talked with him. He knows RE VERY well, an and has been in business a long time.