Author Topic: C5's Broken Exhaust Bolt  (Read 4030 times)

Timinator

• Scooter
on: April 03, 2013, 02:11:41 pm
So, apparently I lost a exhaust nut from the flange and with the vibration it broke the lower stud bolt for my exhaust on my 2010 C5... :(  Now I'll need to get the broken one out somehow and get a replacement stud.  Just wondering what the size is for the stud? Hopefully I can pick one up locally, I believe it is part # 500339.  Any advice/tricks to getting the broken one out?  Thanks!

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:09 pm
Tim, I broke my lower exhaust bolt about a year ago putting on a new pipe. You can remove it fairly easy enough with an EASY OUT. You drill a small hole carefully in the center of the broken stud, drive in the tool and unscrew the stud. You can buy a small Easy Out set from Harbor Freight or your local auto parts store.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:29 pm
  Or If you weld or have someone nearby who does,  A nut can be welded on the stud, from the inside of the nut. Then taken out with a wrench.  The heat of the welder also helps loosen the stud.  This is assuming you have it sheared off at the base..... If not, and you can get some vise grips on it. Some heat, tapping on the stud and some back and forth with the vise grips and you should be able to get it out.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:14:43 pm
Sounds like the easy out is my way of thinking, something about fire and me that don't work well together!   :o  Now just for the size of that bolt....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:06 pm
  LOL !.... No problem. I BELIEVE it is a 8mm 1.25  But don't quote me on that. I know the nut for it is a 12mm.  I'd have to check that when i get home. If you have a caliper, you can measure the other one.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:33:42 pm
And if it doesn't seem to want to come out a penetrating lube and a little heat help a whole lot.  You can use a propane torch to heat the aluminum around the broken stud, or a heat gun for the fire averse ;) 

Scott

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:45:10 pm
8mmx1.25 is the correct size. i recommend penetrating fluid also.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:22:05 am
Lots of penetrating fluid and broken drill bits, finally got the bugger out!  Now to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the advice guys!

Now that I have the exhaust off I'm going to change out the sprocket and make some mods to the breather hose! Let the fun (and/or cursing) begin!  ;D

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:23:43 am
+1 Tim !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:26:25 am
What's wrong with the breather hose?
My UCE uses a very good oil/air separator that's never given me any trouble at all.
That includes some 200 mile trips where I was running at 65 mph for long distances.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 01:34:11 am
   Glad you got it Tim !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 03:03:18 am
Nicely done!

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:49:28 am
What's wrong with the breather hose?
My UCE uses a very good oil/air separator that's never given me any trouble at all.
That includes some 200 mile trips where I was running at 65 mph for long distances.

Every so often it'll burp up some oil on my air filter, so I replace it and hope for the best. I hear from other RE riders that it can be altitude, pressure systems, bad karma, etc. that causes it.  I'm careful not to fill it up too much, usually just so I can see it in the glass.  I put a longer breather hose on it, and duckbilled the hose (I have read the debates on it), so it nearly touches the back of the chain just inside of the chain guard.  At least it will oil the chain and not my air filter/leg/exhaust....

I took my RE on a tour for 300km doing about 100km/hr consistently with no oil burping, so I don't get it.... :o

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:43 am
My secret weapon technique for removing broken bolts is a little heat, a shot of P-B Blaster, dremel or punch a little divot in the bolt, dead center to keep the drill bit from wandering and then drill it with a left hand flute drill bit.

More often than not the drill bit will dig in and back the bolt out.

Don't forget to run the drill in reverse.
Left hand drill bits do not cut going forwards. Do not ask me how I know this.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 06:58:39 pm
Ha! nice one one ice. ;D ;D ;D