Author Topic: Bill's Big Take Over of the '04  (Read 1658 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 02, 2013, 10:43:49 pm
I'm getting my 2004 ES 500 setup. From my local Coleman Powersports, I've ordered K70s for front and rear and a chain. Bought an oil filter on eBay. From NField I ordered rim straps, a carb manifold connection and one of those little light bulbs on the instrument panel.  Can't live without it. Now I get to wait.
  I fixed the rear brake's tail light link. Now I will be stopping in brilliant red. Next, I will lube all my cables. The front brake feels vague. I'll see if using it freshens it up.
  I put in fresh gas. I'll add SeaFoam before I ride tomorrow.
Anyway, so far that's it. I'll list any 'new and improveds'. Lots of help and encouragement from guys here.

Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:01:25 am
Sounds like you're on your way! I was thinking of getting K-70's myself. A lot of folks on this forum  really like them. Much better than the stock rubber. good luck have fun. cochi :)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:47 am
Buy a 5-pack of filters instead of one at a time. You need to change the oil more frequently on an air cooled 4 stroke single. You will love the K70's. It is imperative that you have the bike tuned correctly and that the battery is in top shape when using the ES on a regular basis. If not, you can expect to grenade the ES sprag.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:26 am
Buy a 5-pack of filters instead of one at a time. You need to change the oil more frequently on an air cooled 4 stroke single. You will love the K70's. It is imperative that you have the bike tuned correctly and that the battery is in top shape when using the ES on a regular basis. If not, you can expect to grenade the ES sprag.

+ eleventy billion to this.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:12:10 pm
 I love the smell of brand new Dunlop K70s, yo Bare. My local shop will do the labor. I got new rim straps from nfield. What's the deal with rim weights? I read here that the wheels are probably in balance. Won't the tires need to be balanced on the wheels? I notice nfield doesn't carry the weights.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:06:14 pm
I haven't ever balanced any of the tires I've mounted and they have been fine.  I did notice on my old GS550ESD that after I put some Slime in my dual-sport tires for added protection, they did seem to balance out completely and rode totally smooth,  even at 85MPH.  Just my 2 cents.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:03:10 pm
good point scottie j....    kind of like dyna-beads but....
unless  your wheel is bent, the slower speeds of these things don't
really require the need to be balanced.
   kind of like balancing the lawn mower wheels- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill