Author Topic: D & D Exhaust  (Read 8546 times)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:40:14 pm
The unfortunate demise of my MX5.
Bare
Yikes - were you driving it? Looks like it went rubber side up into a ravine ...
MX5 and RE ownership, a commonality here? There seems to be a few of us....
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:52:32 am
Yup.
2011 G5 Deluxe and 1999, 10th Anniversary MX5 with removable hardtop.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 12:58:46 am
Bare - next one for you - try this turbo job. I've had it for 3 years now - Its the best sports car I've every had and I'm sitting it up against the Porsche Boxster - BMW z3 and 4 Afa Spider v6 Mercedes SLK etc etc
I've had the lot and like all the European cars - they fail to deliver and cost you a packet to repair.
Not so with the Mazda MX5. Get in - turn the key and it ALWAYS starts and off you go . Best car ever!

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 01:32:08 am
Talk about thread drift, here's mine:
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 02:23:12 am
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata - Velocity Red.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 02:50:17 am
I was driving it. It was a misty day in SoCal as I was going up the 57 fwy in the #1 Lane. the road was a bit wet. I was going to get off at Imperial Hwy which is just past a long left turn. I was following a van, so I couldn't see the road ahead as I started to move over into the next lane toward the exit. There appeared a damn truck tread in the middle of the lane. I tried to swerve back over into the left lane, but it was too late and I hit the tire. It picked up the front end of the car and it was sent spinning off toward the right side of the road. Fortunately there was a hole in the traffic, so I didn't get hit on the way to the edge, but at the edge of the road was a curb (kerb) and I hit it sideways. It flipped the car over,and I'm thinking, "This is going to be an "E" ticket ride!" It hit a bank kinda upside down and bounced back into the emergency lane still inverted and was sliding down the freeway. I was thinking, "Well, I get to see if teh windshield frame is as tough as it's supposed to be" In the meantime, the windshield is smashed and spreading neatly on the ragtop under my head, a distance of maybe 2". I'm trying to pull my body down into the car, but the shoulder strap has me kinda tied in and I can't move. As the car stops, I can feel my shoulder has popped out of joint, which it used to do a lot, and my first priority is to get it back in. I couldn't co it hanging there, so I had to try opening the door, which it did, then releasing the seat belt which dropped my head into the glass and my butt hanging about the door. I was worried that some clown would come over and try to drag my out while I'm screwing with my shoulder, but fortunately, no one did and I got my shoulder back in it's slot.
I crawled out of the car, and by then, my head was pretty bloody from the glass cuts. Just a couple of small ones, but the way the head bleeds, they thought I was going to bleed to death. some guy did bring me a wet towel to wipe the blood off with, which I appreciated. Some other people wanted me to sit down because of all the trauma, but I really felt OK and didn't want to sit in the mud anyway. Well to make the rest of the story a bit shorter, the cops and meat wagon came and the cops took my statement and left. The meat wagon got sent on there way, too. The wrecker came and flipped the car over and pulled it up on the bed and the driver was kind enough to take me home. I only lived a couple of miles from there. I left the truck as I got home, then walked into the garage and promptly busted my butt, slipping down on the slick pavement there! My wife came home a couple of minutes later and was wondering why I was looking so disheveled and where my car was.
She's always telling me I'm the reason for her gray hair!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:42 am
I was driving it. It was a misty day in SoCal as I was going up the 57 fwy in the #1 Lane. the road was a bit wet. I was going to get off at Imperial Hwy which is just past a long left turn. I was following a van, so I couldn't see the road ahead as I started to move over into the next lane toward the exit. There appeared a damn truck tread in the middle of the lane. I tried to swerve back over into the left lane, but it was too late and I hit the tire. It picked up the front end of the car and it was sent spinning off toward the right side of the road. Fortunately there was a hole in the traffic, so I didn't get hit on the way to the edge, but at the edge of the road was a curb (kerb) and I hit it sideways. It flipped the car over,and I'm thinking, "This is going to be an "E" ticket ride!" It hit a bank kinda upside down and bounced back into the emergency lane still inverted and was sliding down the freeway. I was thinking, "Well, I get to see if the windshield frame is as tough as it's supposed to be". In the meantime, the windshield is smashed and spreading neatly on the ragtop under my head, a distance of maybe 2". I'm trying to pull my body down into the car, but the shoulder strap has me kinda tied in and I can't move. As the car stops, I can feel my shoulder has popped out of joint, which it used to do a lot, and my first priority is to get it back in. I couldn't co it hanging there, so I had to try opening the door, which it did, then releasing the seat belt which dropped my head into the glass and my butt hanging about the door. I was worried that some clown would come over and try to drag my out while I'm screwing with my shoulder, but fortunately, no one did and I got my shoulder back in it's slot.
I crawled out of the car, and by then, my head was pretty bloody from the glass cuts. Just a couple of small ones, but the way the head bleeds, they thought I was going to bleed to death. some guy did bring me a wet towel to wipe the blood off with, which I appreciated. Some other people wanted me to sit down because of all the trauma, but I really felt OK and didn't want to sit in the mud anyway. Well to make the rest of the story a bit shorter, the cops and meat wagon came and the cops took my statement and left. The meat wagon got sent on there way, too. The wrecker came and flipped the car over and pulled it up on the bed and the driver was kind enough to take me home. I only lived a couple of miles from there. I left the truck as I got home, then walked into the garage and promptly busted my butt, slipping down on the slick pavement there! My wife came home a couple of minutes later and was wondering why I was looking so disheveled and where my car was.
And now back to our scheduled programming...Maybe!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 04:10:34 pm

She's probably right, buddy!  ;D

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 04:33:32 am
Speaking of MX5 Miatas, When I crashed & totalled my 2001 Kawasaki W650 a year ago in february, I spent my insurance money on this 2001 MX5. It is the second & most favorite one I've owned. Even trade for the W650. Miatas are perhaps the best cars I've ever owned.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 05:06:36 am
As some of you may know, when I crashed my BMW 11 years ago my wife put her foot down and said, "No more bikes."
Faced with this and the enjoyment motorcycling gives me I bought a used 1999 Miata.
I wanted something that would replace the BMW.

It is a great car and as many of you know it handles like a go-cart.  Very dependable and fun to drive but, it's not a motorcycle.

After 9 years of driving it I decided I'm not getting younger so to hell with it.  I'm getting myself a bike.  That's how the G5 ended up in my collection.

The Miata is still fun to drive.  It's still 100% dependable but unless I'm going to buy something that can't be carried on the bike, it sits at home while I go thumping merrily off down the road on my Bullet. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 03:22:33 am
What is it with Enfields and MX5s?  I too am driving one and it's my 4th one.  They are fun and damn near bulletproof......
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 12:14:40 pm
My dorymate has one, first year they were sold, that he's selling.  Do I have to buy it?

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 04:00:30 pm
Hi Matt, sometimes buying from a friend ISN'T a good idea, if there are faults. First year Miatas did have a few teething issues, but should be cheap. My favorites don't have the flip up lights (1999 on) They have bigger brakes than early ones, which is important because you certainly won't be looking over a line of cars. Do your homework, look up MX5 history, which discusses all the features & options, then find just what you want. I was fortunate, my 2001 came with factory sport suspension, which includes the LARGEST brakes & engine, & the tan Nardi interior. Low miles 106K. Mine cost $6k out the door.  My daughter bought a 1991 $800. cheapy with 250k on a broken odometer, & drove it 5 more years daily, before selling it. Best MX5 testimony I know of.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 04:03:17 pm
I haven't ever owned a Miata, but I did own an '86 RX-7,  That was a fun car too.  And I've never done it, but I hear doing the rotary swap into the Miata makes it an autocross champ.  Super fast acceleration and insane cornering.  Maybe I'll build 1 when I have more room for more toys!   :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 08:14:38 pm
Did someone say Miata?  Have owned a Miata for 20 years now.

The first was a '92 black and tan, with BBS wheels and both tops, owned it for 13 years.  Sold it and bought a 2008 Icy Blue SE, 1 of only 750 made, still got it.

Have traveled all over the country to Miata events, great little cars, tough as nails.

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati