Author Topic: Jetting  (Read 2146 times)

jeremyoung

• Scooter
on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:54 pm
I have a 99 bullet 500. Does anyone know the correct jetting for an AMAL mk1 30mm carb together with a goldstar exhaust? recently, as the weather has gotten a little warmer, its started to smoke (white) when starting and im hoping its the jetting. any ideas?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:59 pm
White smoke that quickly disappears is water vapor.   This is sometimes caused by condensation inside the silencer.

White smoke that doesn't evaporate is often oil smoke.
This can be caused by a leaking valve seal or in the worst case, a worn piston ring.

Smoke from worn piston rings doesn't go away after the engine is started and run for a while.
Smoke from worn valve seals usually disappears shortly after starting after the small amount of oil that has leaked into the inlet or exhaust port is washed/burned away.

Oil burning caused by worn valve seals can be lived with for a long time without causing any major problem although if it is severe, it can foul the spark plug.
There are a few products on the market that can be added to the oil to soften the valve seals which can reduce/stop the oil leakage however they can also soften the other seals in the engine which can reduce their resistance to wear.
Oil burning caused by worn piston rings will worsen to the point of laying down a smoke screen as additional hours are run.  Usually the law (and environmentalists)  takes a dim view of smoke screens.

edit:
I also forgot to mention that these older engines can "wet sump" which is another way of saying, collect excess oil in the crankcase. 
These engines are "dry sump" engines which rely on a oil pump to pump the oil out of the crankcase as it is running.  (The oil is stored in a special oil sump that is not directly connected to the crankcase where the flywheels and connecting rod run.)

If oil leaks into the crankcase while the engine is shut down it will be thrown up onto the cylinder wall in such large amounts that the oil wiper ring and piston rings can't keep it out of the combustion chamber.  If this happens, when the engine is started it will smoke rather badly until the oil pump can reduce the volume of oil in the crankcase.
To minimize this it is suggested that the piston be raised by using the kick starter to Top Dead Center when the engine is stopped so the leaking oil can't drain out of the crankshaft into the crankcase.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:17:50 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:15 pm
Jeremyoung, Arizoni is absolutey right. I have the same problem on my 03 when the temp drops. I get steam vapor which goes away once she warms up. As Arizoni also said these things on occasion will wet    sump until the excess oil is burned up. When this happens you can usually smell the oil burning. As for worn valve seals, if I remember correctly, the iron motors did not use them. cochi   

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:10:10 am
Now that I've peeked at the Hitchcocks catalog I see that your correct.
There are no valve stem seals shown on the Iron Barrel engines.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:51 am
Later model Iron Barrel engines did have valve stem seals from the factory.
Not sure what year that started, but it may have been around the time that they changed to the more pollution control stuff with the PAV.

All the Bullet heads that we modify are equipped with aftermarket valve stem seals as part of our mods.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jeremyoung

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:43:52 pm
thanks.

anyone know the correct jetting anyway?

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:54:39 pm
I would go ask on Hitchcock's forum also. You might get a quicker response to your question.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:58:23 pm
I don't do Amals, sorry.
Home of the Fireball 535 !