Author Topic: Just got my new Royal Enfield!!!!!  (Read 2467 times)

patndhat

• Scooter
on: April 02, 2013, 04:40:34 am
 8)

I am so cool. I am among you...on my new ride.

C5 Classic...maroon. 85 miles on my new tires.

Old wrench. I gotta start f*ckin' with my bike.

I'd like advice from my brothers and sisters out there:

1. What mods will invalidate my warranty? I'm thinking of replacing all the Indian fasteners with USA stainless. Yeah...Loctite.

2. First major mod would be the exhaust. While I've been following forum posts on which exhaust might fit and...gotta lose the telephone pole...Cali cousins tell me about how to remove and replace the charcoal cannister. That'll be a start.

3. Then on to the pipe...BSA "bottle" is my pick. Owners' survey follows: Which source would you choose for the..."ahem"...muffler?

4. I want my tool box to be a tool box. Best advice  on air cleaner replacement with a K&N etc. would be appreciated..I know I gotta give up the port side box for the fuses.

5. Plastic switches make me itch. Turn signals...starter...has anybody out there found a source for real construction replacement switches?

Call now. Our operators are waiting!

PatNDHat

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:17:03 am
Congrats mate! You've made an awesome choice and chosen the best forum for great assistance and laughs  :D

Technically, I think any aftermarket mod that affects the performance of the engine, such as the muffler etc can account for the warranty being void. However, I'm unsure about the US market but I hope that you won't have any problem as many members on this forum have at least changed the stock silencer. Maybe Kevin Mahoney can chime in on this  ;) And not sure about the K&N filter either. People have reported a loss in MPG as a result of the K&N (Unless I'm mistaken  :o)

Sorry I couldn't answer your questions perfectly. I'm sure other members will be able to clear your doubts.

Good luck with the bike and ride safe!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:19:11 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:07:47 pm
for the cali can you can simply remove it and tuck the 2 lined behind the plate it is mounted to.
or to clean up the unneeded lines take off the seat and tank and remove the lines.
there is a t connection under the seat.
i put a vacuum cap on the one coming from the throttle body and routed the tank vent out front behinh the lower enginr mounting plate.

it sounds like alot but really only takes a few minutes to do.

have fun
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:25:27 pm
for the cali can you can simply remove it and tuck the 2 lined behind the plate it is mounted to.
or to clean up the unneeded lines take off the seat and tank and remove the lines.
there is a t connection under the seat.
i put a vacuum cap on the one coming from the throttle body and routed the tank vent out front behinh the lower enginr mounting plate.

it sounds like alot but really only takes a few minutes to do.

have fun 
+1 motorat , what an eyesore to be on such a special bike. My cannister is on display somewhere in my garage. Couldnt remove it fast enough ! Welcome to the forum patndhat ! Many happy miles to you !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 06:53:10 pm
Don't bother replacing the fasteners, they're mostly fine, but some LocTite is always a good idea.  My first recommendation would be to ditch the stock mirrors and get some bar end mirrors, Napoleons are my current choice.  They look better and you can see behind you better.  Welcome to the family :)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:28 pm
If you go around boring and stroking the engine you might have a warranty problem. However, read the warranty closely, there are a few gotchas in there.
Your dealer should be able to clear up any issues you have.
I guess I never really needed much warranty stuff, and if I did, it was taken care of.   
I was quite happy with my K&N filter. Be sure you understand how the air flows through the air filter and box before you try to make any changes there!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:17:17 am
8)

I am so cool. I am among you...on my new ride.

C5 Classic...maroon. 85 miles on my new tires.

Hi patndhat,
 Congrats on your Bullet and welcome aboard.

Old wrench. I gotta start f*ckin' with my bike.

Brakes are by Brembo, starter is by Denso, EFI is Keihin, hydraulic lifters, engine gaskets and oil filters are from good 'ol US of A......most of your wrenching will be for fun. 8)

I'd like advice from my brothers and sisters out there:

1. What mods will invalidate my warranty? I'm thinking of replacing all the Indian fasteners with USA stainless. Yeah...Loctite.

You are an old wrench.  ;D 8)

~
5. Plastic switches make me itch. Turn signals...starter...has anybody out there found a source for real construction replacement switches?

Call now. Our operators are waiting!

PatNDHat

I think, but have not been able to verify, that switchgear is sourced from Japan.
It sure looks like the stuff that was used by one of the big four.

Mine has given no trouble and shows no signs of wear despite six years of abuse in the crappy weather here. Come to think of it I don't remember anyone posting about a problem with it.

You do know these machines are habit forming, right ?

Welcome to the REal world  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:29:14 am
........on to the pipe...BSA "bottle" is my pick. Owners' survey follows: Which source would you choose for the..."ahem"...muffler?

Harley Sportster
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:03:44 pm
You cannot deny the attention these bikes get you. The thing was still on the truck and my neighbors were coming to ask about it. So glad you are happy.