Author Topic: Hand protection for winter riding?  (Read 16266 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #75 on: March 11, 2013, 05:15:55 pm
Yes, Matt, I did. Last night, though, I installed heated grips:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

They're the kind that pop on and off pretty easily (in fact I'm not bothering to route the wiring properly, just slinging it around the gas tank). And they definitely work, as I learned this morning.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #76 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:03 pm
I like those!  Easy to install when you're using them, easy to put away when you're not :)

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #77 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:18 pm
I guess everything is a trade-off.  I like how the Gerbings heat the top of the glove, which is where most of the wind is trying to get through and suck the heat out anyway.  Seems like heated grips are heating the wrong side of your hand.

But, the grips stay wired to the bike, whereas with heated gloves you've got to plug yourself in!  I don't know.  Do they keep your fingertips warm?  That's my biggest problem.  Also, the pic looks like they fit the "Battery Tender" style power plugs?  If so, that's one less accessory to wire to the battery!

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #78 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:43 am
I don't know if they're standard battery tender plugs -- the prongs seem awfully long.

Incidentally, I fixed my battery terminal problem -- I went out and bought new bolts and a little hex nut that slips into the aperture on the side of the terminal, so everything is bolted up correctly. And now that it is, the battery seats properly and the plastic battery cover lock snaps into place.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: March 12, 2013, 02:28:20 pm
I've only used heated grips on snowmobiles, but they are pretty cool.  However, my wife bought me these Tour Master cold weather gloves about 3 years ago and they rock!  The fingers are pre-curved to make holding on a little easier and causing less fatigue, and MAN are they warm.  I seriously can't wear them if it's warmer than 45 degrees F because my hands will start sweating.  But the fit is great, very warm, and extremely comfy.  She said she paid about $80.   Scottie

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #80 on: March 12, 2013, 04:18:27 pm
Okay, so I am a bit late coming to this thread, but here's my experience.

My other bike is a Triumph RIII, which I have put 100,000 miles on in all conditions. I have only about 5,000 miles on my RE so far, but they are climbing. Therefore most of my winter riding was done on my other bike.

I have heated grips, which are good, but warm only the insides of my hands. I purchased some inexpensive heated gloves and they warm the outside of my hands. With the grips and the gloves things were better. However, the cheap gloves died every season - but were replaced under warranty - so I replaced them with better quality gloves. They were much better. However, there is a bit of mucking around getting them on and off with the wiring and they still are not toasty warm at 10-15F with a 70mph windchill. So I got some Hippo Hands.

The Hippo Hands are excellent. I can wear light gloves, turn the heated grips on low, and ride all day with toasty warm hands. With even slightly thicker gloves I don't need the heated grips. I have not had a problem with them blowing back onto the controls, but if I did then I would have bolted a length of aluminium onto the bar ends to keep them forward. The only downside of the Hippo Hands is that they are ugly. However, the beauty of warmth overrides the lack of beauteous looks.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:45 am
Took about an hour's ride today - first of the season!!!  35 deg F and very windy, but sunny.  The Olympia 4150's felt fantastic - fingers long enough not to bind my fingertips, and my hands didn't get more than noticeably, but not uncomfortably, cool.

Happy for now!  8)  (but still like those Gerbings...)