Author Topic: Hard to shift into neutral  (Read 2117 times)

Lunchbag

• Scooter
on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:59 am
Hello, my 2005 Bullet 500 classic military (5 spd) is difficult to shift into neutral.  I used to be able to shift to neutral pretty easily from either first or second with a half-click.  Now it is resistant, and when I apply more pressure it clicks all the way past neutral (down into first or up into second).  When I come to a stop and it doesn't go into neutral, I try to push the bike very slowly forward while applying the half-click, but it still doesn't want to go.  Add to this the fact that the bike wants to pull ever so slightly, even with the clutch lever pulled in, when in gear, and I sometimes stall it at a stoplight while fighting to get it in neutral.  You know how much fun that is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Every time I think about messing with the clutch cable, I stare at it for 5 minutes trying to figure out which end to start at.  And I'm not really sure that's the best place to start anyway.  Thank you!

Aaron

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:56 am
Your clutch is dragging.
It needs to have the release mechanism(throw-out rod) adjusted, so that the clutch has more free room to rotate when it is disengaged.
Sometimes, this issue comes from warped steel clutch discs too.

Read the service manual, or Pete Snidal's book, for proper adjustment procedure.
If you can't get it to work well with those procedures, then you'll need to take out the clutch disc pack and inspect the steel plates for flatness. They must be absolutely flat. Replace as needed, if warped ones are found.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:48:45 am
make sure clutch c cable play is good, probly is....
just a quick question- you aren't holding the clutch at
stop signs and signals like we would on a japco  are you?
            - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Lunchbag

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 02:57:12 am
Followed Snidal's directions and removed the adjustment screw completely, which caused the three metal balls to drop into the bottom of the case.  Turned out to be a blessing in that I had to remove the whole cover, see that the oil needed replacement, and learn how it all works.  Put it back together and set the adjustment screw 1/4 back from first discernible resistance.  Worked well... shifting into neutral is much easier and predictable now.

What "washing solvent" is Snidal referring to when he suggests replacing the gear oil with it and riding around the block, then putting oil back in?  Thanks for the help, it's fun to ride again!

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:14 am
He is probably referring to the 4spd. The 4spd uses a 00 grease. When you install sealed bearings in the 4spd box you can get rid of the grease and run gear oil. His suggestion to use solvent is most likely to loosen up the grease a bit. I would not think you would need to do this with the 5spd. If you 5spd box is filthy you could drain the oil then squirt it down with some kerosene. Tilt it to drain and let dry or used compressed air and refill box with your favorite gear oil (I prefer Mobil 1).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:34:01 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:24 pm
I'd use a can of brake cleaner.  Very aggressive on grease and oil and also evaporates very quickly without leaving any kind of residue behind.  I think that would be your best bet without leaving any kind of film on the clutch plates.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:26:11 am
I'd use a can of brake cleaner.  Very aggressive on grease and oil and also evaporates very quickly without leaving any kind of residue behind.  I think that would be your best bet without leaving any kind of film on the clutch plates.

Scottie

I think the conversation is about the gearbox.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:41:25 am
I think the conversation is about the gearbox.

Ooops!   ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King