Author Topic: "New" 2004 in Arlington  (Read 6403 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 31, 2013, 04:44:29 am
Hi Everyone - This is my first Enfield. I'm not familiar with the models and abbreviations. What model is this called? It's a 2004, has an electric start, Mikuni carb, K&N filter, 535cc, heavy duty clutch, Boyer-Brandsen electronic ignition, Hitchcock 5 speed trans.
  I've read posts on engine oil and that has helped. What goes in the primary chain case? Does the gearbox get its own oil, if so what and how much?
  I want to be able to identify this model so I can order some oil filters. Any pointers on spark plugs? The previous owner said he will mail me a service manual. If I order one, what model do I have?
  Anyway, I'm looking forward to riding this bike. I go out on local rides with fellows from the ninja250forum.org. Not a lot of high speed, but we cover lots of rural roads in western MD, past Frederick and Thurmont. Likewise, in VA west of DC. If anyone is around this area maybe we could get out for some rides.
  My 'other' bike is a 1989 Yamaha Radian YX600 and a 2002 Honda ST1100.
 I'll see if I can get pics of the RE attached.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:23:14 am
Welcome to the forum and Nice Bike!  It sounds like the previous owner already did a lot good mods, that Boyer ignition is an excellent upgrade.  Now I'm not as good at identifying all the different models as well as some of the other people on here, but it looks like you have an Iron Barrel Bullet.  A great find none the less!  Congrats!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:50:01 am
Hi Guaire welcome aboard and congrats on your Bullet.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:55:46 am
Nice bike!

The model is a 500 ES, and it looks to have been converted from a 4-speed to a 5-speed.
The oil filters will be the same for any of the "Iron Barrel" type Bullets. They are all the same filter. The AVL or UCE type filters will NOT be compatible.
Regular motor oil can be used in the primary chaincase. If you have cluch slip, you can change the primary oil to ATF. Some people prefer ATF, and it's possible that yours may have already had ATF in it.
Fill it up to where it begins to run out of the level plug that's used to check level.
Spark plug is BR8ES.

Beware of sustained speeds over 60mph. It doesn't like that,  and it could seize the engine from inability to get rid of the heat. It's not an interstate highway bike, by any means. It will ride all day at 55mph, but that extra 5-10 mph over a sustained period can kill it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 06:28:43 pm
Thanks for the info and advice. Now I can get some basic supplies for it.
Bill

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:31:24 pm
Shouldn't he be using a B8ES with the Boyer?  Ace I thought I read that's the plug you recommend with the Boyer in a previous thread.  Anyway, that's what I'm using and it works well.....

Congrats on the bike. I called the previous owner like 5 times and he never returned my call.   It was a good price, enjoy!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:38:36 pm
Guaire
 In 2004 the 5 speed gearbox was standard on the Bullet Sixty-5 and optional on the other models of the Bullet line.

Yours is an R.E. gearbox which is good news as they are more widely distributed an in far greater numbers than the Hitchcock units.

Also the UCE uses many of the same parts so in short, parts will be easy to get and readily available for a long, long time in the unlikely event  that you might want them.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:06:50 pm
Shouldn't he be using a B8ES with the Boyer?  Ace I thought I read that's the plug you recommend with the Boyer in a previous thread.  Anyway, that's what I'm using and it works well.....

Congrats on the bike. I called the previous owner like 5 times and he never returned my call.   It was a good price, enjoy!
IMO, there really is no advantage to have the resistor plug AND the resistor wire.
However, if you have a good hot coil, it can overcome both resistors, and it will be fine. The only issue which could arise is a weak spark with a weak coil and a double resistor.
I just mentioned the stock plug. I probably should have mentioned the difference, but I didn't really think of it at the time. I was concentrating more on the proper heat range.
So, if he wants to run without the resistor in the plug, he can use B8ES.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:04 pm
Back in LA, Matt Capri helped me out with an old Beemer I had. Instead of using an R plug for the updated electronic ignition on a /7, he set me up with resistor spark plug cables and regular plugs. That got it right. On that bike and on my Bullet the cap is an NGK. Coincidence? It's a good cap.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:22:00 pm
 Welcome to the forum. That's a nice bike! The only thing I see wrong with your bike is the Avon Skidmaster tire on the front. Get a K70 as a replacement before it puts you in a ditch! If you like to ride the twisties, that's not the tire to have!
Are you from Socal? Matt is a good friend of mine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:50:36 am
Hi Bare - I was born in DC. I spent about 38 years in SoCal. I came back to Arlington in 2003.
  Between Hollywood gigs, I had worked at Century MC in San Pedro. At one point I was commuting to Hwood from Pedro in a car, no bike. I got a used '77 R60/7 at Century. I didn't know much about BMWs. My friend Cindy Rutherford suggested I get myself over to Matt's to get some help for setting up the old Beemer. Matt really helped me.
  I switched to synthetic. He told me to take that BMW oil and use it in my lawn mower. The BMW stock spark plug wires - throw them in the trash. Matt cut a length of resistor spark plug wires, added NGK caps and the electronic ignition worked right. That's some highlights. When it came to the tach not working - "It's old!!!"
  He had taken on being an Aprilia dealer. He outsold everyone. Aprilia was going to fly him to the factory for a couple of weeks. I call Matt "The world's fastest Italian." He was really looking forward to a trip to Italy and hang out with the guys.  It meant a lot to him. He told me, "They say the Japanese are going to design frames by computer. Computer code?! Genetic code!"
  Matt Capri set class records at Bonneville using the BMW K model. He told me, [about the K model], "It took the Krauts to build it. But it took a Wop to make it run!"
I miss being there.
  If anyone is in his neighborhood, stop in the shop in Lomita, CA. It's no surprise that Matt has a friend here. He's enthusiastic about bikes, life, fun and he's brilliant.
 I'm retired from the motion picture industry now. Any one need some quality video editing? I started riding in the 1960s. My dream then was to own a BSA. The Enfield is bringing something good from my past together with something exciting now.
  Do you know if Matt knows about the "ACEing" of the Enfield irons? He got his hands on the K and set records at Bonneville, likewise with the Hinckley Triumph. Why not with the Royal Enfield? At least if he knows the ACE kit is available, he would probably offer it to his RE customers.
 The best tires I ever rode on my three Kawi EX250s were modern Avons. So, it isn't a put down on Avon. But....Bare, those old Avons are kind of spooky. I hear you. I rode BSAs and Triumphs with K70s. I know they are currently manufactured, but, isn't there a 'modern' tire that's better than K70s? Is it a matter of what will fit on the new - old size spoked wheels? Let me know. If that's the case I'll order a set of K70s.
  Chaparral is offering the front K70 in 3.25 x 19 and in 3.50 x 19. Currently, there's a 3.25 on the front. Chaparral is selling the front 3.25 for $76.88 and the rear for $80.88, only in 3.50 x 19. What's the size for my Bullet? I don't think Chaparral will know. Probably better to get a set of whatever will work, to match profiles.

Cheers,
Bill

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:46:20 am
Bill,
Right now we are just finishing up a new higher-performance package that would be aimed at the racing market. Much more radical than our regular Fireball package. Should be out by summer.
We'll be testing it as soon as the headwork is complete.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:44 am
  Chaparral is offering the front K70 in 3.25 x 19 and in 3.50 x 19. Currently, there's a 3.25 on the front. Chaparral is selling the front 3.25 for $76.88 and the rear for $80.88, only in 3.50 x 19. What's the size for my Bullet? I don't think Chaparral will know. Probably better to get a set of whatever will work, to match profiles.

Cheers,
Bill

They're interchangeable front and rear tires.  Use 3.25 front and 3.5 rear to match your stock profiles.

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 02:54:44 am
Hi Bill, I am in the area, I work in DC and live in Dale City. Maybe we can get a few of the locals together for a ride now the weather is warming up. there are quite a few bullet riders in the area.   Robert
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:08:21 pm
Sounds good, Gunbunny. I have friends in the ninja250forum.org that might want to get out with us. They don't like going on freeways, except as necessary. We have started runs in Rockville and Point O Rocks. I'm in north Arlington, west of Chain Bridge. DC is a lot closer than Dale City!
Cheers,
Bill