Author Topic: hello all  (Read 5747 times)

aeronut

• Scooter
on: March 31, 2013, 03:08:35 am
I am new on the forum and I hope to learn allot about about the Royal Enfield 500cc motorcycle. I took a demo ride on one yesterday and it was fun; a real step back in time. I really like the style of the bike, but the performance was kind of disappointing. The rear brake was kind of an after thought! I do have a little bike history going back to the early 60's. I currently own an 07 Triumph T-100 and a 05 Buell 500cc single (I can not bring myself to call it a BLAST). I bought the Buell to ride around town and run errands with. It does do the job quit well and gets in the mid 50's for gas millage. But the Buell is not made for any kind of off highway use. I really do not need blasting speed for the bikes mission and the "woods" model of the Enfield looks very appealing so I have joined the forum to try and learn more about the bike. Best wishes to all.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:37:30 am
Welcome to the forum!

From what your describing, it sounds like you need get yourself a RE scrambler.  Do some research using the key words "Royal Enfield Scrambler" on this forum, youtube and Google and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as to what people have built and how capable these bike are when they're set up for trails and dirt roads.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:50:26 pm
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16113.0.html

Most of the scramblers that are built from REs have been old iron barrel models. The distributor, CMW, has a kit for a scrambler, but it only fits the old stuff.
There are way to turn the new UCEs into scramblers, but the down side is that you should keep the eletronic bits and EFI, adding a few pounds to the finished product. The link above will take you to the Harris Scrambler which is a beauty using an earlier model engine with a current frame. That is essentially a G5 frame, but an AVL engine which is the precursor to the UCEs.
The UCEs can be made into a nice scrambler though, by changing tires, the shocks, the stock ones are a bit harsh, the fork oil, the original sludge is also a bit harsh.
Put some scrambles bars on it, which the stock cables will probably reach,and some alloy fenders, just to lighten it up a bit more. The exhaust systems are plentiful for it and the seats are the same way.
The bikes are simple to work on, and the parts are usually quite inexpensive.
The engine is a delight in the dirt as the power band is right where you want it for dirt work. And it is very miserly with fuel!
You can go as far as your want in building your own scrambler or just change some tires and ride it!
Lots of power options if you want to go faster, too. And more coming soon!
The possibilities are endless.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:07 pm
I second bare's comments.  Put dual sport tires on and it's great in the dirt stock. Or go all the way and convert to carb, put in a smaller battery, shed the starter and sprag gear, cut off the unnecessary metal off the frame, aluminum tank and fenders... Anything from stock to go nuts with customizing it's a very versatile bike.

aeronut

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:29 pm
Thanks everyone. I have been looking for a hi pipe for the uc efi engine and can not see one. Has anyone done a uc efi bike for trials type riding? I wish Mr. Harris wanted to trade for the Buell. Ya I know if wishes where horses then beggers would ride. lol

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:18:28 pm
Hitchcock has some nice systems.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/page.php?currentpageref=113#part_5849

aeronut

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:47:11 pm
Thanks jartist; I do not know how I missed that the first time I went through thh catalog.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:49:48 pm
Yes , I second Baren's Trials  advice.
 These motorcycles are fine cow trailing in stock form( ride reasonably).
I ride some gravel roads and a few trails with my OEM tires.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 05:27:16 am
Hi aeronut and welcome aboard.

My Bullet is a sort of two wheeled jeep as so to speak.
It does no one thing best but it does do everything.
It takes me everywhere I want to go and some places I probably shouldn't.

My advice is consider the B5 Bullet with the UCE engine. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

aeronut

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:22:25 pm
Well I have crunched some numbers and to make it a trials bike by buying the full kit and utilizing a new uc/efi bike I would be into it for $9000+ and that is  more than I can afford in one bite right now. I think the best strategy for now is to concentrate on on selling the Buell and purchasing a new 500 Royal Enfield. I did a comparison of the 2013 dual sport bikes on the market today they are around $6500 range for the 650cc models; so I am having a little trouble justifying the 9,000. The kicker in the dual sport thing is my inseam is only 29"; the Suzuki has the lowest seat height at 33" and I think the Enfield could have a lower seat height and I probably not need the whole kit anyway and I like the looks of the Royal Enfield a LOT better. Thanks for the help guys.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:37 pm
You can make a reasonable dirt traveling bike very cheaply to start with then add on as you go along. Initially you need some tires like K70s (about $130), Higher handlebars ($20-40). Rear shocks would be nice, the stock ones are pretty stiff, (Hagons, $195), Change the fork oil ($15) and maybe a new lighter muffler ($69 and up)
The seat height is 31.5"
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

aeronut

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:51:48 pm
Yup you are right and that is the direction I will move once I sell the Buell and buy a Royal Enfield. This is going to be a one step at a time project and may take a while. The dealer in Spring Hill only offer $1300 for the Buell (unseen by him) on the demonstrator with 1500 miles and priced at $5500. I know that we need to support our dealers but I think I may be able to do better if I sell the Buell and go to the dealer for a cash deal on a new bike. The Buell is in good shape and is an 05 with 2700mi. It has the Buell baggs and I have the tall wind shield and the small windshield and both the low and high seats and all the manuels. It is not a bad little bike but not at all meant to be ridden off highway.In my book it is worth $1800. It may take some time for this to happen, it usually does not pay to get in too big a hurry.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:22:06 am
Look on craigslist in your area too.  You can always find great deals on there.  You might even find someone who would want to trade you straight up for your Buell.  It's worth looking into anyways.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:28:56 am
You can make a reasonable dirt traveling bike very cheaply to start with then add on as you go along. Initially you need some tires like K70s (about $130), Higher handlebars ($20-40). Rear shocks would be nice, the stock ones are pretty stiff, (Hagons, $195), Change the fork oil ($15) and maybe a new lighter muffler ($69 and up)
The seat height is 31.5"
Bare

Big + 1
No matter where you go, there, you are.