Author Topic: Detained for helmet-camera videotaping...  (Read 4026 times)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 02:12:21 pm
Let's face the facts here.  Not every cop is a "good cop".  I've learned over the years that there are 3 kinds of police officers:  The ones who actually are there to help the community stay safe, the ones that the only reason they became a cop is because they wanted a badge and a power trip, and the ones who TRIED to become a cop and FAILED and now spend their time as meter maids and tunnel officials going out of their way to make everyone's life miserable because they failed at life.

I think we know which 1 of these Rich ran in to.

Scottie
Scottie,
With out going in to your facile generalization of Bridge and Tunnel Officers as "failures at life" I can assure you that they are regular men and (some) women just like you or I. They take the job for the decent pay, benefits and pension so that they can take care of their families. No one there is getting rich at the public expense (as is often implied), they are simply doing a tedious and at times dangerous job under harsh conditions outdoors twelve months of the year. In addition to that, it's been my observation over the years that most of them do their jobs in a courteous fashion and with a sense of humor.
As Jeff noted above, security was stepped up after 9/11. Prior to that time the rank and file officers didn't even carry a sidearm for regular duties. They kept them in their gun lockers. Only the Sergeants and Lieutenants carried although all receive regular and continuing firearms training and have full peace officer status.
A lot of them even ride motorcycles.
Chuck.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:14:37 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:02:25 pm
Chuck, thanks for your thoughtful reply. The officer I dealt with (whom I won't name here) was absolutely professional and respectful throughout, especially after it became clear to him that I was an ordinary citizen who was answering his questions cooperatively and who didn't dispute his authority to have stopped me in the first place.

The MTA (which now operates the tunnel, the TBTA having been dissolved except as regards its police) has already conceded that citizens have a right to film in their subways. Perhaps I'll be the one who (eventually) gets them to concede that citizens have a right to film in their tunnels.

Thanks again all for engaging with me on this issue.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:03:40 pm
Scottie,
With out going in to your facile generalization of Bridge and Tunnel Officers as "failures at life" I can assure you that they are regular men and (some) women just like you or I. They take the job for the decent pay, benefits and pension so that they can take care of their families. No one there is getting rich at the public expense (as is often implied), they are simply doing a tedious and at times dangerous job under harsh conditions outdoors twelve months of the year. In addition to that, it's been my observation over the years that most of them do their jobs in a courteous fashion and with a sense of humor.
As Jeff noted above, security was stepped up after 9/11. Prior to that time the rank and file officers didn't even carry a sidearm for regular duties. They kept them in their gun lockers. Only the Sergeants and Lieutenants carried although all receive regular and continuing firearms training and have full peace officer status.
A lot of them even ride motorcycles.
Chuck.

Please excuse my ignorance.  I was basing my experience SOLELY on the police and officials I've had to deal with in the Midwest.  I've never been to the East coast so I honestly can't speak for them.  I just know that 70% cops I've had to deal with in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Michigan have all been total dicks, even if you are cordial with them.  Ever heard that Anthrax song "I Am The Law"?  That's almost every cop I've ever had to deal with.  So, sorry if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intent.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 07:11:21 pm
Actually, the officer who detained me said he was a motorcycle rider. I suspect that's one reason he was so polite throughout -- he had some empathy for me.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:08 pm
So, basically, he was just doing his job as he knew the law to be. Sounds like an OK guy to me.
Bare
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:54:23 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 11:03:04 pm
 To me this is one of the most interesting Campfire threads in awhile. I have been reminded here of what NYC went through on 9/11 and the many threats folks there face on a daily basis. It is really true for all major cities as we all know. I think when you live in a quieter place you tend to forget and are quick to criticize people whose main goal is to do the right thing. Thanks Chuck D
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 03:14:14 am
Maybe they thought you were a tourist.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 07:08:23 pm
If you really want to get noticed try to google the location of nuclear power plants. 

Crap,  I bet I am now on a watch list for even writing that.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *