Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement question  (Read 6761 times)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:33 pm
black magic marker.

Ooo, I love that song... Carlos Santana, isn't it?   ;D
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 07:02:38 pm
You did take on the responsibility to put the tank on.  If a dealer had botched the Jove they'd be on the hook for it.  I'd keep the old tank handy.  If I had to pick one I'd go with the old one.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 01:36:06 am
I'd touch up the unpainted areas and ride on down the road.

As I understand it, the new weld design replaced some butt welded areas with a good seam weld.
Seam welds can withstand a lot of bending and twisting without being damaged.  If it was damaged by bending the flange it would have started leaking right off the bat.
Since it didn't I think it never will.

Besides, if Kevin doesn't require the old tank back in trade, you've got a non-leaking backup to use.
Removing the misaligned tank badges, applying some good adhesive and putting them on right and your in business. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:21 am
...they should have told you it was wider. Any chance Kevin will give you a second?

You did take on the responsibility to put the tank on...

Now I'm confused, Scott - is it on me or them?  ;)

I'd touch up the unpainted areas and ride on down the road.

As I understand it, the new weld design replaced some butt welded areas with a good seam weld.
Seam welds can withstand a lot of bending and twisting without being damaged.  If it was damaged by bending the flange it would have started leaking right off the bat.
Since it didn't I think it never will.

Besides, if Kevin doesn't require the old tank back in trade, you've got a non-leaking backup to use.
Removing the misaligned tank badges, applying some good adhesive and putting them on right and your in business. :)

Jim - Ron concurs; he said, "As long as the tank is not leaking you will be fine, I'm sure it's not so no worries, secure the tank and you will be fine."

They did ask for the old tank back, to send back to the factory as a quality control lesson; I may propose that they and I share the shame of this event and ask to hang on to the old tank just in case.  I know Kevin has been lurking, so he may be getting a preview!

It is a drag that it happened, and I'm sure it's a perfect example of why they don't make a habit of sending warranty parts off to any sap who asks...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 03:00:25 am
It's a bit on both of you.  They should have told you it was wider but you probably should have lined it up to the old one for comparison before install.  I do that with all my parts to make sure I got the right one.

Sounds like the weld is stronger than I thought.  If Kevin and the other folks here say it should hold then I'll take that.  Paint and ride on.

Scott