Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement question  (Read 6760 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: March 30, 2013, 11:18:20 pm
I'm replacing my fuel tank with new one from the factory - reusing all the fittings from the original tank (2011 B5)...

Should I try to clean, or "rinse" the interior before I install it and fill 'er up?  Maybe shake some gasoline in it and drain it?

Or perhaps blow some compressed air through it?  I don't hear any solid bits rattling around in it, but maybe it couldn't hurt?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:47:19 am
A good rinse seems a wise move to me. It came a long way after all.
It certainly makes for a good looking Easter egg.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 03:07:10 am
A good rinse seems a wise move to me. It came a long way after all.

I agree  :D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 04:35:50 am
Mattsz, just today i installed a new tank on my G5, the old one sprung a leak. I flushed it out with water then ran a shop vac for about an hour in the 80 degree sun until it was bone dry. Your new tank should come with a new fuel pump O-ring. I put silicone grease on it for the installation. I did the same thing with the fuel indicator switch O-ring. Now everything is tight as a frogs butt and no leaks. The dealer set me up with a chrome, black and gold Deluxe tank with the vintage knee pads. Looks cool and now I can make a planter out of the old tank. Life is good.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:09 am
Thanks guys!

Jack - did you happen to notice whether you flushed out anything "untoward"?

Would you other guys would suggest water (including careful drying, of course!)?

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:21:55 pm
I would LOVE to replace the tank on my G5 with the extra large tank but it seems they're not being made for the EFI. Unless someone knows otherwise?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:31:43 pm
I think you'll be fine just rinsing some gas through it to get any kind of machining/packing oil and debris out of it.  If it's a new tank I can't imagine too much crap being built up in there.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:27:02 pm
Thanks guys!

Jack - did you happen to notice whether you flushed out anything "untoward"?

Would you other guys would suggest water (including careful drying, of course!)?
Nothing detected Mattsz.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:42:01 pm
in the old days when i replaced the tank on my 700s nighthawk i rinsed it out then sprayed wd40 in it to help with the drying and do a little coating.
it worked fine for the next 20000miles i had the bike.
that was a carbed bike so not sure if the same procedure would interfere with the efi.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:35:56 pm
I'm replacing my fuel tank with new one from the factory - reusing all the fittings from the original tank (2011 B5)...

Should I try to clean, or "rinse" the interior before I install it and fill 'er up?  Maybe shake some gasoline in it and drain it?

Or perhaps blow some compressed air through it?  I don't hear any solid bits rattling around in it, but maybe it couldn't hurt?

Mattsz, why r u replacing the tank???

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 01:36:54 am
It's a warranty replacement - Kevin didn't like the crooked badge on my B5, and suggested I get it replaced.  I have no dealers anywhere near me, so I'm changing it myself...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:07 am
  If it is red coated inside, or has some kind of tank liner. I would not use any chemicals.....

If you use water, make it very ! Hot water, so anything left behind will evaporate quicker. If you have a compressor, you can run some air through it, and leave the air running through  till dry.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:03:15 pm
if you don't mind the question -what's the price on a new tank in the usa

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:32 pm
My old tank developed a pin hole leak on the right side towards the rear where the welds came together. Thanks to the 2 year warranty it was replaced free of charge. I have no idea what the price would of been but I'm pretty sure the don't go cheap.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:34 pm
I replaced the tank when my bike got rearended and the tank got bashed by the handlebars. I put the fuel pump and light switch in it, filled it up and rode it. Never had a problem with it until it spring a pinhole leak several thousand miles later, probably caused by a loose mounting bolt.
I had to rinse the gas out of it with water to clear the gas and fumes. I took it to a welder, got it heliarced and ran a heat gun through it to dry it out, replaced the pump and switch, filled it with gas. No problems still!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:15:52 pm
I use alcohol to remove any small amounts of water.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:22 pm
if you don't mind the question -what's the price on a new tank in the usa

I don't know about from RE, but the only tank I find that fits my EFI C5 from Hitchcock's runs 250 quid, or about us$383, plus shipping from Aulde Blighty.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 02:01:46 am
here in oz i priced the black/chrome tank for a c5. priced in at $610 plus post

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:45 am
here in oz i priced the black/chrome tank for a c5. priced in at $610 plus post
Good God thats expensive ! Thats 643 US dollars !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 06:14:13 am
They must be getting gold plated tanks Down Under.    ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 08:03:53 am
I think the black tank for a G5 was about $300 from CMW.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:48 am
plus the advantage of being ripped off - like almost 3k more than you guys are paying.
expect the cafe race to come in near the 12k mark

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 04:12:42 pm
I was lucky, I have a new in the box velvet/Gold painted "Royal Enfield with striping " factory tank that I picked up for 150 bucks from my dealer going out of business sale...At the time, I thought of the purchase as insurance...12k for the cafe racer is getting up there indeed. I only paid 5k out the door for my 06...You're getting a completely different bike with technology included. Our southern brothers must be be paying a VAT tax....
Oh Magoo you done it again

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 04:54:41 pm
So here's the deal with my tank - $0.   Kevin didn't like my crooked tank badge, and he encouraged me to make a warranty claim to replace it.  I've had issues with dealers near me, and the logistics of the whole thing led CMW to send me a new tank - easy job, right?  Well…

The new tank is different from the old tank.  The flanges that mount the front to the bike are spaced wider apart than my OEM one.  So while the original meshed with the fitting under the handlebars perfectly, the new one has had gaps which needed to be filled before tightening down.  Unfortunately, I didn't know any of this; the tank wasn't rattling loose in position.  From where I was standing and working my tools, straddling the front wheel facing aft to take care about striking the tank, I couldn't actually see the flanges very well, nor could I really feel any serious resistance in the tools as I tightened the nut and bolt beyond finger tight.  The first indicator of trouble I had was when the paint started cracking off the flanges, which I was bending inward without any trouble at all, thank you very much.  I now have a new tank with bent flanges, chipped paint and bare metal near the welds.  No leaks, though… for the moment.

Kevin, after the fact, said: "Somewhere along the line RE changed the stamping for the underside of the tank to allow for a little more room and to make a better tank. The net result is that the flanges are wider on new tanks. We are not 100% sure when this occurred because they make running changes on the bikes and not model year changes."

I imagine that it will be argued that it's my fault and that I should have noticed what was going on and not done it; I see that my most grievous error was to assume that a replacement tank would fit the bike it was presumably made for.  Anyway, I sure would have liked to know that the flanges were wider beforehand; I've got plenty of washers around that could have been added as spacers, before the paint chips started hitting the floor.

My crooked badge is looking pretty good right now.  And to think, Scotty, a little double-stick tape would have saved all this trouble...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 10:43:12 am
[crickets...]

Wow, nothing.  I wasn't really expecting "Aww, ye poor wee man" or anything, but I thought for sure I'd at least get a "You dumb fφςk!" out of somebody!  ;D

Has anybody used the spray touch-up paint that may or may not have come with their bike?  Does the black match up well, color- or gloss-wise?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 01:30:09 pm
.........I now have a new tank with bent flanges, chipped paint and bare metal near the welds.  No leaks, though… for the moment.....

you dumb f**k .   <-  there, feel better now ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 01:32:09 pm
before you go putting black top-coat on that tank, you should use a self-etching primer on the bare metal.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 01:35:27 pm
Dude, that sucks.  It seems almost every part needs a little finesse but theyshould have told you it was wider. Any chance Kevin will give you a second?

I would not trust the new tank.  It probably has the newer better welds but I'm guessing you've stressed them.  Got the old tank and some double sided tape?

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 05:19:00 pm
Hah!  At first I was going to write, "but I thought for sure I'd at least get a "You dumb f**k!" out of Gremlin",  but then I thought I'd better not, that would be profiling.  Thanks for coming through in the pinch!  ;)  And, thanks for the hint on the primer...

Scotty, the boys at CMW know about it; no offer of a new tank has been forthcoming.  I did get a "it should be fine" and a "we will do our best to get a black paint spray can for you."

I still have the original tank.  I have not yet asked for second new tank, nor have I suggested that I would keep my original and return this one - both of which I may do, depending on how the comments here sway me.  Who knows, Kevin may even read this before he hears from me...

I'm on the fence about my culpability here - these guys were trying to help me by stepping outside of their usual routine of requiring certified dealers to do warranty work, and the result is damage to the new part which could very well have been avoided in the hands of a more experienced motorcycle mechanic - no good deed goes unpunished, as the saying goes.  On the other hand, how was I to know the new tank wasn't really even a close fit?  And anyway the certified dealer I bought the bike from proved incapable of mounting the front fender correctly, and then there was my 300 mile service fiasco with another dealer, so who knows what a particular dealer might have done in my place?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 05:34:30 pm
..........who knows what a particular dealer might have done in my place?

black magic marker.   
(what the diner doesn't see, the chef gets away with.)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:33 pm
black magic marker.

Ooo, I love that song... Carlos Santana, isn't it?   ;D
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 07:02:38 pm
You did take on the responsibility to put the tank on.  If a dealer had botched the Jove they'd be on the hook for it.  I'd keep the old tank handy.  If I had to pick one I'd go with the old one.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 01:36:06 am
I'd touch up the unpainted areas and ride on down the road.

As I understand it, the new weld design replaced some butt welded areas with a good seam weld.
Seam welds can withstand a lot of bending and twisting without being damaged.  If it was damaged by bending the flange it would have started leaking right off the bat.
Since it didn't I think it never will.

Besides, if Kevin doesn't require the old tank back in trade, you've got a non-leaking backup to use.
Removing the misaligned tank badges, applying some good adhesive and putting them on right and your in business. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:21 am
...they should have told you it was wider. Any chance Kevin will give you a second?

You did take on the responsibility to put the tank on...

Now I'm confused, Scott - is it on me or them?  ;)

I'd touch up the unpainted areas and ride on down the road.

As I understand it, the new weld design replaced some butt welded areas with a good seam weld.
Seam welds can withstand a lot of bending and twisting without being damaged.  If it was damaged by bending the flange it would have started leaking right off the bat.
Since it didn't I think it never will.

Besides, if Kevin doesn't require the old tank back in trade, you've got a non-leaking backup to use.
Removing the misaligned tank badges, applying some good adhesive and putting them on right and your in business. :)

Jim - Ron concurs; he said, "As long as the tank is not leaking you will be fine, I'm sure it's not so no worries, secure the tank and you will be fine."

They did ask for the old tank back, to send back to the factory as a quality control lesson; I may propose that they and I share the shame of this event and ask to hang on to the old tank just in case.  I know Kevin has been lurking, so he may be getting a preview!

It is a drag that it happened, and I'm sure it's a perfect example of why they don't make a habit of sending warranty parts off to any sap who asks...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 03:00:25 am
It's a bit on both of you.  They should have told you it was wider but you probably should have lined it up to the old one for comparison before install.  I do that with all my parts to make sure I got the right one.

Sounds like the weld is stronger than I thought.  If Kevin and the other folks here say it should hold then I'll take that.  Paint and ride on.

Scott