Author Topic: Blocking bike for oil change  (Read 3384 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
on: March 30, 2013, 09:47:03 pm
What is a good way to block a G5 up while changing oil so oil pan will line up under oil drain.

I looked at Mr Singhs video but could not see how he had the bike blocked.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:04:44 pm
Maybe my G5's centerstand is in a different place but I've never had a problem with draining my bikes oil.

I use a round plastic oil draining pan and shove it back against the front of the centerstands legs.  The oil drains into it with no problems, even after removing the pump oil pickup screen cap.

I've also tried draining the oil with the bike on the sidestand.  No problems there either plus using the sidestand method allows me to get on the bike and tilt it to the right easier than when it is up on the center stand.
I do this with the main and the pump pickup screen drains removed.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:09:24 pm
I've also tried draining the oil with the bike on the sidestand.

+1.  My center stand interfered with my drain pan - last time I used the side stand, and it worked fine - allows for tipping the bike, too, as stated...

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:28:32 pm
Thanks guys. Guess I will have to use the side stand. Center stand is right up there at the drain plug. Yesterday, I thought I could put a funnel under the plug to get oil to flow into the pan. Worked fine until the oil coming out overwhelmed the funnel. Prob only a quart or so oil in the driveway...what a f&@cking mess!!!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:27:08 am
I did exactly the same thing the first time I changed my oil - but in addition, in the scramble to keep the mess to a minimum, I kicked over the plastic container in which was soaking, in clean oil, the new filter.  As you say, what a mess!  >:(

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:14:17 pm
murphy's freaking law!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:34:44 pm
Bwa Ha. Gotta laugh. It takes the pain off every time I've spilled oil all over the place while changing it. My worst was changing the oil on a 12 qt capacity aircraft engine. I dutifully  drained the oil, and started refilling the sump while standing on a ladder from a gallon can. When I looked down as the can was emptying, I noticed a great flood of oil all over the floor. I had forgotten to close the drain valve! 
Not the first or last time I made a mess of that job though!
My drain pan sits easily under the bike with the center stand down. I don't have any trouble rocking it on the center stand. Works fine. I get a bit over 2 qts out when I drain it.
Bare
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:38:37 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:03:40 pm
Bwa Ha. Gotta laugh. It takes the pain off every time I've spilled oil all over the place while changing it. My worst was changing the oil on a 12 qt capacity aircraft engine. I dutifully  drained the oil, and started refilling the sump while standing on a ladder from a gallon can. When I looked down as the can was emptying, I noticed a great flood of oil all over the floor. I had forgotten to close the drain valve! 
Not the first or last time I made a mess of that job though!
My drain pan sits easily under the bike with the center stand down. I don't have any trouble rocking it on the center stand. Works fine. I get a bit over 2 qts out when I drain it.
Bare

I guess my center stand must be mounted on there differently. There is a bar on the stand that runs right behind the drain plug and the stand itself prevents the pan from getting within about 6 inches of the drain.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:18 am
Or, Bare has a smart pan that fits...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:03:59 pm
Here's the pan. Unfortunately, I don't have the bike to show it under, but it just butts up against the center stand and I can open the main drain, the screen drain, and the filter and all three can drip into it at the same time. Works well
It has a capacity of slightly over a gallon and is 20"x13.5"x5.5". You open the two caps in the middle and in drains down into the lower part, then when your don you can close it up and take it to the local auto parts store for dispensing. It pours out of the end cap. I got it at Korea Mart or Wally World or one of those. I forgot!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:34 am
Looking at your oil drain "pan" jogged a circuit in my head.

Maybe the reason my oil drain pan works so well with my G5 is it's a real "pan".
Rather than being a sealed container with special "oil in" and "oil out" caps, mine looks like a plastic version of a real pan that you could use to boil soup in on a stove.  (I also have a version that is actually made out of real metal.)

Now, as you all know, I would never do anything to damage the environment.  ::)
I can say the termites don't like the ground around my wooden fence posts though.  ;D

If someone doesn't have any wooden fence posts to protect they could still use my oil draining pan along with a large funnel to get the used oil back into the plastic bottles to take to the auto parts store where they could donate it to the stores 'used oil' container. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:49 am
I going to get a nice rectangular biscuit pan, that holds maybe a gallon...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:05 pm
I've got an "easy" pan similar to Bare's, but it's deeper, and the rim around the sloped catch-basin is wider - when I butt it up against the center stand, the oil from the drain drips down onto the rim and over the side rather than down into the basin.  I think it's really meant for larger vehicles, since it probably holds about 2-1/2 gallons.

When those angels-who-walk-the-earth hospice nurses started coming to care for my mother-in-law, they left behind a stack of smaller plastic hospital basins with them, which are perfect for the job - 3 inches tall, narrow rolled rim, rectangular for easy pouring, holds just under a gallon, I would guess.  5 years since she passed away, and those guys are still making my life better...  :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 07:11:37 pm
Now, as you all know, I would never do anything to damage the environment.  ::)
I can say the termites don't like the ground around my wooden fence posts though.  ;D

Oh well, You know how it is when you live in "It's a Pleasant Valley Sunday out in artificial land". I'm not growing any fence posts and it's about a block to a gutter drain. I have been known to put a gallon or so in a garbage bag and stow it in a proper container, though!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:56:39 am
An alternative:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97841.html

It's $65, but can be used free-standing or fixed. Reviews are good, overall.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.