Author Topic: Exhaust crack  (Read 1347 times)

GrumpierGrunt

• Scooter
  • I would much rather be on my 1974 Kawasaki H2B
on: June 09, 2013, 04:09:37 pm
I have a Royal enfield C5 with a 5k miles on it. I heard a strange sound coming from the exhaust and upon closer inspection noticed that it is cracked where the stock exhaust fattens up. Is this a common problem? I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting a stock exhaust for free even though my bike is out of warranty. The bike seems way to new to have an exhaust crack at the welds like what has happened to my bike. If I can't get one for free, any suggestions on what I should replace it with? The EFI silencer looks sharp

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:34:41 pm
The Hitchcocks EFI and the Harley Softail seem to be the leading contenders here for a nice balance of thump, quality and performance. Many of us have tried Silman short bottle and the megaphone, and even though those sound great, the racket gets a bit excessive for most folks after a few hundred miles.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:04:01 pm
Hi, my stock silencer started to fracture at the same point as yours. My bike was only 7 months old, and my dealer sorted out an exchange for a new one. The original silencer started to fail along a weld which seems to have been made after the rest of the silencer had been chromed - The weld was thickly covered in silver paint. There is no question of mis-alignment stressing the silencer, as when the faulty silencer was loosened off its mounts, the down pipe stayed in exactly the same place. I now run a Hitchcocks EFI silencer, but have kept the stock pipe in case there is an issue with some future MOT.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:47 am
I have a Royal enfield C5 with a 5k miles on it. I heard a strange sound coming from the exhaust and upon closer inspection noticed that it is cracked where the stock exhaust fattens up. Is this a common problem? I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting a stock exhaust for free even though my bike is out of warranty. The bike seems way to new to have an exhaust crack at the welds like what has happened to my bike. If I can't get one for free, any suggestions on what I should replace it with? The EFI silencer looks sharp
Hi Grumpiergrunt,
Please post a picture if possible...  :) :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 02:00:46 am
toss the muffler and buy the efi silencer - it's music to your ears and ride on!
incentive here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CaDmfvAcZYU

GrumpierGrunt

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 04:33:21 am
toss the muffler and buy the efi silencer - it's music to your ears and ride on!
incentive here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CaDmfvAcZYU

Thanks for the video link. I was going to purchase this set but couldnt find a video just to preview the sound. Quick question, is there a hole for the O2 sensor? How do i remove and install it from the old pipe to the new pipe

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 04:41:54 am
Only the silencer was replaced.  The downpipe is stock so it and the O2 sensor are stock parts.

Hitchcock sells a new downpipe that has a port for the O2 sensor but it is not needed.
I recall someone who ordered on of these Hitchcock pipes and they found that although it reduced the bikes total weight (it has a larger internal size) it actually reduced the UCE's performance.

Things like this aren't unusual.  It has to do with the velocity of the exhaust gasses.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GrumpierGrunt

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:52:25 am
Ok, thanks for the help. Will order tomorrow, nfield gear offers the same one as hitchcocks right?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 04:57:11 am
I'm not sure it is exactly the same.

The thing about Nfieldgear is they are often out of things so they are "on backorder".
Because of this, be sure to call them at 1-800-358-0938 and get the current status before ordering it.
Or, if your willing to wait for a unknown length of time, go ahead and have them backorder it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary