Author Topic: ScooterBob & GHG's C-5 Cafe Racer project  (Read 155325 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 03:52:17 pm
You need to get yourself a propane catalytic heater for your garage.  I NEVER get cold!  ;)

Scottie

Yeah, or a nice 60,000 btu direct vent Modine up in the ceiling with a T-stat.  Heat the garage up in like 4 seconds. My little infa -red ain't cuttin' it....

Ah, then the wife and kids would never see me! Lol. At least I gotta run in once in a while to take a.... The cold keeps you on your toes. 

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: November 17, 2013, 03:30:47 am
  Lightened Rockers......  After Grinding , shaping , whittling,  sanding and polishing.  30 grams lighter each...

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
Reply #92 on: November 17, 2013, 03:35:38 am
Well done!
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #93 on: November 17, 2013, 03:50:56 am
So shiny!  The precious!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: November 17, 2013, 05:04:18 am
Nice!  +1    Did you happen to take a before pic?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #95 on: November 17, 2013, 12:33:59 pm
A few posts back he posted a pic of the rockers - still mounted in their bearing blocks, but you'll get the idea.  Like Scott says, shiny!  Try as I might, I can't look away...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #96 on: November 17, 2013, 01:05:59 pm
I see stuff like this and I get a strong urge to start taking my bike apart - just for fun!  :o

What's wrong with me?

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #97 on: November 17, 2013, 04:39:22 pm
@gashousegorilla...for better heat in the garage...nay I suggest "Jameson's".  ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: November 17, 2013, 06:40:56 pm
@gashousegorilla...for better heat in the garage...nay I suggest "Jameson's".  ;D

+1  ;D

GHG - About that, I wanted to also tell you that when I put my box fan on low behind my catalytic heater it acts like a forced air heater and heats up my garage to 75-80*F in less than 15 minutes.  Then I usually shut it down for about 20 minutes or so and repeat the process.  A 20# cylinder will last me a couple of weeks of regular use and the only time I get cold is when I run out of gas.  ;)

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: November 17, 2013, 08:03:30 pm
Well done!

Thanks !

So shiny!  The precious!

The shiny should .... besides cleaning up the ugly tool marks........ Help to make the arms even a little lighter,  by making it easy for them to shed or "flick" oil off. Which would other wise accumulate on the rough and pock marked surface.  In theory anyways....  Every little bit helps.  A little hear , a little there and all.... But I really just could not stand the way they looked unfinished.

I see stuff like this and I get a strong urge to start taking my bike apart - just for fun!  :o

What's wrong with me?

Nothings wrong with you Matt !......  Go get some and learn along the way. This shit is Fun !

It only takes a couple/few hours , with some basic tools to do it. Dremal...grinding wheel or belt sander... fine sandpaper...polishing wheel, and etc.  Get creative and use what you got. Just leave the ball, shaft, and wipe surface alone.  And you don't need to spend a mint ..... you already HAVE rockers . ...

It should help to let the bike rev up quicker, let the valve spring spend more time controlling the valve, instead of that massive weight on top of it, less wear and tear on the valve train and etc... lifters, rods and etc.  Little things add up....

Oh yes Brother..... I do believe in some internal heating as well  ;) 8)

+1  ;D

GHG - About that, I wanted to also tell you that when I put my box fan on low behind my catalytic heater it acts like a forced air heater and heats up my garage to 75-80*F in less than 15 minutes.  Then I usually shut it down for about 20 minutes or so and repeat the process.  A 20# cylinder will last me a couple of weeks of regular use and the only time I get cold is when I run out of gas.  ;)

Scottie

That is an excellent Idea Scottie..... I love it !  THATS being creative !  And you are SMART to shut that sucker down every once in a while.  Most Cats don't.... that Co can kill ya if they let it build up.  I have been responding and investigating those calls for many years..... It can get ugly.

After......

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:09:05 pm by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: November 17, 2013, 08:05:36 pm
 Before.....

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:02 pm
Nice work on the rockers!  I didn't know what they looked like originally so thanks for the pic.  Back to heaters quick:  I also pop the door open every couple hours to get some fresh air  in the shop too.  I learned my lesson in my early 20's doing a S10 small block swap.  It was a cold ass Wisconsin winter and had the torpedo kerosene heater running for about 4-5 hours and about 1am almost passed out.  So yeah.  Lol

Scottie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: November 17, 2013, 08:50:52 pm
Nice work on the rockers!  I didn't know what they looked like originally so thanks for the pic.  Back to heaters quick:  I also pop the door open every couple hours to get some fresh air  in the shop too.  I learned my lesson in my early 20's doing a S10 small block swap.  It was a cold ass Wisconsin winter and had the torpedo kerosene heater running for about 4-5 hours and about 1am almost passed out.  So yeah.  Lol

Scottie

There you go Scottie ! ;)    Not to get too far off track.... BUT.....  Most people wonder why after a nice Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey dinner, everyone is tired?  Well it ain't the  chemical in the Turkey that's doing it .   It's the four hours of that un-vented , pumping out 100 ppm of Co Oven doing  It !    He..he..he     Thanksgiving and Christmas can be our busiest days...  They got fans above those ranges for a reason ! LOL... 

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #103 on: November 18, 2013, 04:00:31 pm
Nice work Mr. Gashouse- quite inspiring . The photo says it all. Less reciprocating mass- I'm interested to know how much change you can feel ? Less vibration, faster response - please do tell!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: November 18, 2013, 05:00:15 pm
Nice work Mr. Gashouse- quite inspiring . The photo says it all. Less reciprocating mass- I'm interested to know how much change you can feel ? Less vibration, faster response - please do tell!

Thanks Dave.... But it was not my Idea.. I was inspired by a legendary BSA , that use to tear up the Hills and Hollors' Of West Virginia back in the seventies..... he..he..he  ;)

I will let you know once I get the top end back on.  I got lazy yesterday, after finishing the rockers... and decided to watch the football game instead. :-\