Author Topic: ScooterBob & GHG's C-5 Cafe Racer project  (Read 154797 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 02:05:39 am
Amazing work! I can't wait to get to my laptop so that I can see the photos full size. The solid lifter conversion and head work is intriguing to say the least. I'm impressed that you guys increased the hp 50% under the stock redline and efi system! Any pictures of the solid lifters and adjustable pushrods?

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 03:05:57 am
If it is possible, can we please have a start-up/drive-by video of this machine?  :D  8)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:04 am
Amazing work! I can't wait to get to my laptop so that I can see the photos full size. The solid lifter conversion and head work is intriguing to say the least. I'm impressed that you guys increased the hp 50% under the stock redline and efi system! Any pictures of the solid lifters and adjustable pushrods?

Thanks !   I do have pix of the lifter conversion.  But unfortunately I do not for the adjustable rods.  But , they are a simple Harley type arrangement , with threaded rod and lock nuts. The lifters from the exterior, look the same as the Harley like lifers used on the bike. The inner works were simply removed, And an alloy slug machined and fitted in place. The stock Lifter cup is retained..... and stronger retaining "C" clip is used in place of the stock retaining spring.

We really wanted to retain the stock hydraulics, They are good little units. BUT, for our performance mods.... They just did not pump consistently enough, and lifter pump became an issue.  Not sure if these stock lifters are from a Harley ? But they are not from a late model sportster.... I grabbed the anti- pump versions of those.   And they are not even close to whats in the UCE.  Different size and arrangement..... But similar in appearance. So the solids became our alternative.

Stock springs were retained, also the stock valves were used.... though modified. Stock rockers and blocks. All put under some heavy flogging last year, with some pretty high compression. Not a problem.   When the head was off most recently, the valves and seats were fine. The surfaces didn't need to be touched, and held fluid for well over 24 hrs.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:51:27 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 04:03:21 am
If it is possible, can we please have a start-up/drive-by video of this machine?  :D  8)

Sure, here is a baseline Dyno run we did last year.... and one of it, in the garage running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXh1GbaeN5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtej9bHrOw

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 05:32:38 am
Awesome! Even the camera couldn't handle that sound. I'm sure it sounds amazing in person!  :D Good work.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 05:48:49 am
I already loved this bike, and now after watching those videos, I have that much more respect for it.  I'd be honored to ride NEXT to your bike, so it must feel great riding it.   ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:49 am
Awesome! Even the camera couldn't handle that sound. I'm sure it sounds amazing in person!  :D Good work.

LOL !  Yeah, pretty cool how it drowns out the Stones in the background completely. That piece was with the head only and in a decent state of tune.  MUCH louder now. A more Machine gun like POP !

In the baseline dyno one.  That was our first pull . Head only . With TPS adjustments. No PC-V. AFR's were pretty much dead on the line.  That was a fourth gear pull , with stock gearing.  You can hear and see it hitting the limiter pretty quick.  Gearing changes had to be made. And as predicted by ScooterBob, There is significant loses through the props , between fouth and Fifth. 

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 06:34:36 am
I already loved this bike, and now after watching those videos, I have that much more respect for it.  I'd be honored to ride NEXT to your bike, so it must feel great riding it.   ;)

Scottie

Thanks !!  Yeah,  it IS a blast !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:36 am
Nice bike and thanks for the new screen saver  ;)  8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 10:47:11 am
I'd be honored to ride NEXT to your bike...

Or in my case, to chase it down the road as it leaves me in the dust...  ;D

Nice one, boys!!!!!!!!!

In the baseline dyno one.  That was our first pull . Head only . With TPS adjustments. No PC-V. AFR's were pretty much dead on the line.  That was a fourth gear pull , with stock gearing.  You can hear and see it hitting the limiter pretty quick.  Gearing changes had to be made. And as predicted by ScooterBob, There is significant loses through the props , between fouth and Fifth.

I have no idea what you just said.  But... it sure sounds exciting!  We may be riding the same brand of motorcycle, and even speaking the same language, but...  ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 01:45:54 pm
Or in my case, to chase it down the road as it leaves me in the dust...  ;D

Nice one, boys!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea what you just said.  But... it sure sounds exciting!  We may be riding the same brand of motorcycle, and even speaking the same language, but...  ;D

Yeah........ You know Matt... Looking at that now !?   Whut the hail kind of Jersey gibberish is that !?   He..he..he.

Let me try that one again......
   On our first test on a Dynometor,  With ScooterBobs  modified cylinder head. A freeer flowing Intake and exhaust, And only adjusting our air fuel Ratios in the combustion chamber by settings on the throttle position sensor.... using voltage readings. "Using my butt Dyno" and inspecting the spark plugs, and trial and error and such. We were able to set the air fuel ratio to the nice and rich side of Stoichiometric..... which would be around 13.2 to 1.  I know...I know..  Images of a geeky guy named Stoich comes to mind.  Here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZaCKyoMQVM

Also we found that the bike makes more power in fifth gear then fourth.  And I needed a bigger toof sprocket to keep me from hitting the RPM limiter so quick. The RPM Limiter is built into the computer on the bike...... which is a good thing...... to prevent someone from blowing up their motor. There is a bit of wiggle room in there...... but it's best to keep it where it is, and change that ONLY if you need to.  The rev limiter works by cutting off the sparks and the fuel. 

A POWER commander V, type devise. Is a thing that will Trick the bikes computer so one can make changes to the stock settings in that stock computer. And adjust the sparks and fuel.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:48:54 pm by gashousegorilla »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:46 pm
Nice bike and thanks for the new screen saver  ;)  8)

Cool Mike !  Which one did you use ?

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: March 31, 2013, 04:42:53 pm
You guys have built a great looking cafe racer out of C5!!...Wonderful job!!...Cant take my eyes out of the pictures!

What is the gauge for and is this still EFI? what are the engine mods that has been done?

Great work again guys!
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 08:23:08 pm
GHG -

great to know the stock EFI can handle increased HP.  What pressure are you running the injection ?  also, is your regulator vacuum modified ?  stock injector -or- higher flow ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 01:53:20 am
You guys have built a great looking cafe racer out of C5!!...Wonderful job!!...Cant take my eyes out of the pictures!

What is the gauge for and is this still EFI? what are the engine mods that has been done?

Great work again guys!

Thank You !

Yes it is still the stock (keihin) EFI system. The gauge is so I can see the fuel pressure. The gauge is mounted upside down, so as I'm riding the bike. I can simply look down between my arm and chest and see it.

Engine mods as of today:

ScooterBob JJ Head
  ScooterBob JJ cams
  Solid liters
  Adjustable push rods
  Modified stock head pipe... restriction cut off " Lava Rock Fiber" heat wrapped.
  Emgo/ Hitchcocks  Reverse Cone Megaphone
  Velocity stacked turn out, intake runner.  Adaptable to a pod filter
  Power commander V  For the 2009-2013 UCE Bikes, Piggy backed.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:13:52 pm by gashousegorilla »