Author Topic: ScooterBob & GHG's C-5 Cafe Racer project  (Read 155415 times)

HUdson51

• Scooter
Reply #255 on: May 10, 2015, 03:31:49 am
Great looking bike!! I would hope to own something similar myself in the future.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #256 on: May 10, 2015, 02:33:22 pm
     Obviously, looking at these three pistons.... stocked dish, flat top forged AVL and the new forged domed deal.  Higher compression is the goal.

So, GHG, can I just clarify something?  Can I fit the standard AVL piston straight into my UCE, and thus get a higher compression ratio without having to alter anything else?  And if so, where would I get the forged version of the AVL piston?
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #257 on: May 10, 2015, 02:44:22 pm
So, GHG, can I just clarify something?  Can I fit the standard AVL piston straight into my UCE, and thus get a higher compression ratio without having to alter anything else?  And if so, where would I get the forged version of the AVL piston?

Worked for me, but, I just used an OEM cast AVL piston.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #258 on: May 10, 2015, 04:08:30 pm

Yes you can Steve. In the neighborhood of half a point with the same deck height.  A stock bike roughly has a compression ratio of 7.3-1  If one goes in there and measures things.  With the AVL installed it would be  around 7.8- 1. Give or take a bit of course with any manufacturing  irregularities in the top end.

And yes, like Gremlin says  you can use a stock cast AVL piston Steve. He and  many others have.  We just used a forged version because it is lighter and stronger  and better for a little higher performance...  higher compression with the chamber we have been using.  And I believe another run of them would have to be made....... they are not available as far as I know.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #259 on: May 10, 2015, 05:46:22 pm
   Yes you can Steve. In the neighborhood of half a point with the same deck height.

That's great to know - many thanks, GHG and Gremlin.  I feel the existing compression ratio is unnecessarily low here in the UK, where the standard fuel in 95 RON. 
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

B5 Ben

• Scooter
Reply #260 on: May 10, 2015, 06:58:23 pm
Nice!
2013 B5
1976 Vespa Super

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #261 on: May 10, 2015, 09:50:49 pm
This time around?  Did something bad happen to the motor?  Or can you just not leave well enough alone? ;)

Hope all is well Dan,
Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #262 on: May 11, 2015, 02:37:37 am
This time around?  Did something bad happen to the motor?  Or can you just not leave well enough alone? ;)

Hope all is well Dan,
Scott

Hahahaha !  Thank you Scott.   And yes , I can assure you all is well..... :o   I know... " Hey, Danny has his bike apart again !" LOL.    The motor IS beautiful.  But I could not stand the thought of JUST riding it for another season ?.....  And you kidding ?!  It's just fun to develop this stuff. And the idea actually came from a friend of ours from your neck of the woods...  He wanted what we have done. However, as I said earlier the head work is fairly extensive, and as you can imagine a bit costly considering the over all cost of these bikes.  It's a fair thing to say ?  So.....Lets see what we can do that may be the next best thing ? And work well with the other mods ?   AND .... NO ONE is going to tune and test on it but me before it goes in !?   As you know, ALL of this stuff has has been tested on the road and on the dyno , in my bike , by us.  Getting your hands dirty, shelling out the money for a bike and getting into it . Not theory or conjecture.  And this will be no different.   And that's all there is too it.  ;)

Nice!

Great looking bike!! I would hope to own something similar myself in the future.

Thank you guy's,  appreciate that !  ;)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #263 on: May 11, 2015, 01:23:47 pm
That's great to know - many thanks, GHG and Gremlin.  I feel the existing compression ratio is unnecessarily low here in the UK, where the standard fuel in 95 RON.

I had nothing to do with this most-excellent build.  SB & GHG are the progenitors.  I got lucky after this bike was featured in the magazine, and, GHG revealed the AVL piston trick.

Worked for me, going on 2 years now.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #264 on: May 11, 2015, 10:10:06 pm
  Tune and flog the piss out of it !  ::).....  Gitter' Dunn as usuall  ;)
[/quote]

I gotta say - if a part will survive the eternal dyno flogging and riding the mean streets of Gorilla Land - no mortal man can break it. Gashouse Gorilla is almost as hard on sh!t as I am .....  :o
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #265 on: May 11, 2015, 11:05:47 pm
     Obviously, looking at these three pistons.... stocked dish, flat top forged AVL and the new forged domed deal.  Higher compression is the goal. And to work with the stock chamber.  A little more simple and practical approach this time.   Without the extensive welding up , resizing and reshaping of the chamber.  Sort of , address the bottom of the chamber and leave the top alone.

0 - 60 in 5 seconds :), doing circles around Continental GT !

When are you taking your baby to Bonneville Salts ? 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #266 on: May 12, 2015, 01:40:06 am
  Tune and flog the piss out of it !  ::).....  Gitter' Dunn as usuall  ;)

I gotta say - if a part will survive the eternal dyno flogging and riding the mean streets of Gorilla Land - no mortal man can break it. Gashouse Gorilla is almost as hard on sh!t as I am .....  :o

Yup... Exactly Cuz  ;)    However, kinda sorta technically, you know.... It's Jungland.  Very close to that giant Exxon sign.  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1JgDhok1Fc

0 - 60 in 5 seconds :), doing circles around Continental GT !

When are you taking your baby to Bonneville Salts ? 

Pffff  ::).....   Don't distract me Brother !  ;)   I'm trying to get this done .....  I could put that Scooterbob head back up on there ?  Boy  ! :-X

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #267 on: May 16, 2015, 06:45:20 am
  Pistons shipped out to the ScooterBob last Friday.   Checked. bored , honed squared up and back by this morning/Friday.... These are a + .010 piston BTW.  Busy day....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #268 on: May 16, 2015, 06:50:51 am
   Bore.....

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #269 on: May 16, 2015, 06:56:39 am
 Stock valves polished  .....