Author Topic: ScooterBob & GHG's C-5 Cafe Racer project  (Read 157096 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #120 on: November 19, 2013, 03:01:09 pm
I must slightly correct this ...... ring gaps should NEVER be on the thrust side of the piston. When the piston "rocks" in the bore under combustion pressure, it's possible to dig a ring corner into the cylinder wall. I like to place the compression rings 180 degrees apart, halfway between the pin and the thrust side of the slug. Nit picky? Yeah .... but I can't help it! Comes with the territory, I s'pose  ;)

ohooooo your good.... And payin' attention !  All slid around nice on the final slide on.

What deck height did you end up with ...... I'm curious. I'm GUESSING about .015" down in the hole? A stocker is around .040". We don't any of those compressions to get out, you know!  ;D

Closing my one good eye and squinting.... Yeah, that looks about right Cuz.  ;)

@GHG...man you guys are geniuses.....you make it look easy.....

Just common sense.... nuts and bolts ..... and a service manual is all.  Easy peasy.   Oh !  And a torque wrench !  ;)   And if I was a genius Bulletman... I wouldn't be a gashousegorilla !.... or show a pic of them rigs in the wrong position !   LOL !

Ah.  Thanks!

ScooterBob, you're answering posts faster than I can read them!

As in, the ring gaps should line up with the pin, rather than be 90° off?

He's probably out in the shed, honing on his WM20 jug... looking to make the world fastest Military bike !  8) I'll see if I can get you a better pic of what he means.   In the mean time.....

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/tech/9169875/mmfp_0711_05_z%2Bford_small_block_stroker_engine_build%2Brod_angularity_and_piston_side_thrust.jpg
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:06 pm
@GHG:

Looks very impressive. You and SB are making this Racer better and better :).

I hope you can ride it sometime before we get snow storms and noreasters, that we get every winter. It will be hard to wait till spring to take it out for a spin !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #122 on: November 19, 2013, 04:44:05 pm
I'll see if I can get you a better pic of what he means.   In the mean time.....

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/tech/9169875/mmfp_0711_05_z%2Bford_small_block_stroker_engine_build%2Brod_angularity_and_piston_side_thrust.jpg

Ah - gotcha.  I imagine you'd get the most side thrust during the power stroke, but also perhaps some on the opposite side of the piston during compression?  Even though the piston is traveling in different directions, there's still a "downward"(i.e. away from the head) force during each phase...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #123 on: November 19, 2013, 06:00:16 pm
   Closing my one good eye and squinting.... Yeah, that looks about right Cuz.  ;)

That's how I checked the gap on my last set of piston rings.  It looked like 0.2mm. :D

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: November 19, 2013, 07:00:37 pm
@GHG:

Looks very impressive. You and SB are making this Racer better and better :).

I hope you can ride it sometime before we get snow storms and noreasters, that we get every winter. It will be hard to wait till spring to take it out for a spin !

Thanks Singh.... and boy, you ain't kiddin'. Getting windy and cold today. Hopefully, at least get her out and broken it... better ride it like I rented it ! ;)

That's how I checked the gap on my last set of piston rings.  It looked like 0.2mm. :D

Scott

THAT's a little ScooterBob-orizm.... YOU know   ;D ;)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #125 on: November 19, 2013, 07:12:23 pm
Of COURSE we are geniuses ..... We are Celtic - we can't help it! BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!  ;D ..... and it IS easy. All you have to do is sit in the shed for hours on end with a little Glenn Miller on the radio and a little sippin' elixir in the 12oz. tumbler and drill, tap and grind until your heart's content. What could be easier than THAT?  ;)

Turn off the Glenn Miller & tune into MPR and you'd be describing my shed.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: November 20, 2013, 03:18:45 am
Ah - gotcha.  I imagine you'd get the most side thrust during the power stroke, but also perhaps some on the opposite side of the piston during compression?  Even though the piston is traveling in different directions, there's still a "downward"(i.e. away from the head) force during each phase...

Here you go Matt. I had a little time in the garage tonight and I drew it out for you, down and dirty on the top of the old piston.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: November 20, 2013, 03:27:00 am
  And pretty much a MUST when working on the top end of these bikes..... Is a nice  long reach magnet.  Those head stud nuts LOVE to fall down the push rod tunnels, on the right side, as your putting them on.  Beats pulling the head back off ...... just sayin'  ::)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #128 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:47 am
Thanks GHG!  As for the magnet, I guess we don't have to ask how you learned about that trick...  probably a long time ago! ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: November 20, 2013, 12:51:17 pm
Magnetic pick up tools are a MUST!  I have a small and medium sized Snap On ones that are so super strong.  Really nice to have on any given task.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #130 on: November 20, 2013, 02:57:44 pm
+1 on the mag pickup tools!
Finally read through this thread, and OMG this is cool! Love what you two have done so far, and I'll be paying more attention.  :D
Great logic and carry-through on the rockers BTW!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #131 on: November 20, 2013, 06:28:09 pm
+1 on the mag pickup tools!
Finally read through this thread, and OMG this is cool! Love what you two have done so far, and I'll be paying more attention.  :D
Great logic and carry-through on the rockers BTW!

That was a Long read !  Thanks  ;)  It's been a long time having fun with this bike as well.

Thanks GHG!  As for the magnet, I guess we don't have to ask how you learned about that trick...  probably a long time ago! ;)

Yes..... You could also just remove the tappet ( lifter)  inspection cover and grab them that way. But , who wants to reseal that cover if you don't have to.  There is NO gasket on it.... just goop.  I should make one, now that I think of it ?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #132 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:40 pm
There is NO gasket on it.... just goop.  I should make one, now that I think of it ?

Well you could, but...

..who wants to reseal that cover if you don't have to.

:P

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #133 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:20 pm
That was a Long read !

yes it was, but once I started I couldn't stop!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #134 on: November 20, 2013, 10:07:39 pm
Well you could, but...

:P

D' OH  !! ......... LOL !  Your right Scott.  ;)     I should been more clear, and stop thinking out loud as I type !   Of course... no need to with Hydraulics.   But I'm using adjustable rods, and it would be nice to adjust, through the cover back on after I adjust , with a Gasket.  I'm always thinking about this stuff... and... Sometimes things just leak out of my brain uncontrollably  :-\ ::)   

And ... while I'm thinking about it.    Does anybody out there, have a line on where I could find some threaded pushrod top cups?   These are ones I used to make up some rod length checkers from Jegs.  And they work really nice..... nice easy adjustment. BUT ... they are soft  metal, and won't hold up to my thrashing. they are for checkers only...... The rod builders out they don't seem to make them is this particular configuration.

yes it was, but once I started I couldn't stop!  ;D

He...he...he..he  ;) :)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:11:05 pm by gashousegorilla »