Author Topic: Plasti-Dip White Colour  (Read 11112 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 04:59:35 pm
Thanks again guys, The pictures are amazing, I do love the cream color on the bike, But after seeing the pictures of the small gas spill and the effects  :o  It had . Im going to stick with the original colors..I guess the next mod on the bike will be the Hagon shocks..I just managed to put on 3000 Miles on the Bike yesterday whilst Riding it to Murphys, CA.
Looking forward to the upcoming oil change...  ;)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 11:56:29 pm
in reference to the gas spill. i just let it dry out for a day or two and resprayed the plasti dip straight over.
only a couple of minutes work and your back to the pre - stained look.
My spill was caused by adding petrol from a container. A petrol bowser refill would be a better controlled job.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:25 pm
for curiosity sake i tried a bit of white plasti-dip paint on the bike today.
in all honesty it didn't look any good at all.
so back to the factory maroon/chrome and this paint will end up on the Mazda mx5's wheels

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 08:35:46 am
plasti dip painting the bike is now finished and stripped back to the original color. 
i suppose i had a bit of fun but be warned any one who is thinking about it seriously  my advise is -FORGET IT!!!!!
it holds on fine but you have to be oh so careful on fuel fill up. if you do get a fuel spill on the gas tank you will just have to let it dry and paint over.
i tried to remove the petrol spill on the spot with soapy water and the petrol ate into the dip immediately.
i think if i was chasing a color change for the c5 chrome i'd be better off just buying a new tank and front/rear guards.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 01:04:31 pm

i think if i was chasing a color change for the c5 chrome i'd be better off just buying a new tank and front/rear guards.

Or find the right person to repaint it for you.  I usually only charge about $300-$500 to paint a couple fenders and and a tank, depending on the color and the shape that the metal is in.  Not sure what they charge for paint in Australia but I think you could find someone in that ball park of $500 or less.  I'm sure it would cost at least that if you just ordered all new body parts for the bike.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:33 pm
iv'e mainly painted cars but to wreck a perfectly good maroon/chrome tank to change to another color would be a sin.
if i could get a good second hand tank and guards then re-spay in 2pak that could be done for $50 to $80
here in oz about 3 years ago they wanted 6k to do a complete re-spray inside and out on my mazda turbo. the color was originally sunlight silver but the jap version was in white so i thought why not.
the red stripes were added later and in plasti dip. these have held on really well and have been there for 12 months
cost me $650 to do the mazda plus a bit of hard work - actually quite a bit of hard work but a good saving ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:12:38 pm

if i could get a good second hand tank and guards then re-spay in 2pak that could be done for $50 to $80
here in oz about 3 years ago....

That was going to be my other suggestion.  Pick up some used parts and paint them what ever color you want.  If you get bored with it, through the original parts back on and change the color on the parts to something new.

You're Mazda looks good btw.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 04:27:44 am
good idea. if i go ahead with the idea that will be the path i take