Author Topic: New Royal Enfield Forest Green 500 with Carb  (Read 12845 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:56 pm
I've fixed a lot more trouble with carbs than ever with EFI. Floats sinking, needles coming loose, float needles leaking, jets and blocks falling out. Poor altitude change performance. I don't recall ever having EFI fail.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 06:58:08 pm
Plain and simple, I don't trust computers.  After selling auto parts for the last 3 years and all the crazy ass shit I've seen cars do due to failing electronics.  Like I said, when they work they are great, but the stupidest things can ruin your day and cost hundreds of dollars to fix.

I don't trust computers on cars, and I certainly don't trust them on motorcycles.  That's why I'm pulling the fuel injection off my 88 Silverado when I do my motor swap and putting a good 'ol fashioned Holley on there.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 07:14:58 pm
I even had an electronic computer gadget on a carb fail. Cost me 400 bucks, so you're not even safe with '80s model carbs! It was some electronic throttle control thingie.
And the car before that had the float sink!
And then there was the one that had a stupid ass roll over ball shutoff it. The ball rolled up a ramp and shut the float needle. Unfortunately, when you having a great day romping around at near 100% in a full four wheel drift and the engine quits in the middle of it, it does suddenly change the handling characteristics, kind of immediately, and not for the better! It gives a new meaning to tuck and roll upholstery! Ahh, fun times in the carburettor world!
Oh, the ball ended up MIA.
Bare
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:17:03 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 01:57:15 am
Black is beautiful, Jack, but green is keen!!!

Once again, from my pals at National Powersports:

Here's a link to the rest of the photos:

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=9229

It's almost black, but it's green...  :P  Actually, it's hard to say for sure, but their photo colors are usually pretty accurate.  I feel guilty for liking this color scheme more than mine... :( 

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 02:04:38 am
Yes, looks very close to being black  8)

Maybe some pictures out in the sun might help lol. Either way, it looks nice. The gold tinge to the badge, along with the legendary golden stripes..ahh good stuff.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 07:05:09 am
And  they got the tank badge on straight!  :)

Actually, I hope those pictures were too 'black' because I would rather have a lighter more traditional British Green like Jimmy Clark's Lotus.

I guess while I'm at it I could wish for a rear fender like the C5's too.  That would allow me to install a brown solo seat which, with the silver/gold tank badge would make one neat looking machine.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:23 am
Here is the link to the new launch (or is it any newer than the 50 year old model)
You decide riders !!
http://royalenfield.com/bullet500/

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 10:44:59 am
The one for sale in NH has the usual Avon tires, but the Indian version promises MRF Zapper tires (?) "for stability and sure shot grip on the roads"... I wonder if they know something we don't about the SM's?

Also, a fancier grab bar and seat back for your pillion...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 03:02:07 pm
Here is the link to the new launch (or is it any newer than the 50 year old model)
You decide riders !!
http://royalenfield.com/bullet500/

I think that pic shows what the green will look like in good light.  Love the gold stripes.

Scott

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26:32 pm
Post deleted - no longer an issue.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:25:57 am by foggy95 »
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 04:02:34 pm
Hey Scotty,

This is true.  However, you don't need a computer to make a carburator work.  Sure EFI is more efficient, less emissions, b better hp, better mpg, but let's face the facts COMPUTERS FAIL!  ELECTRONIC SENSORS FAIL!

Absolutely true. So do mechanical fuel pumps, and carbs. Carbs tend to die slowly, FI, is kind of a yes no situation. I admit I avoid carbs primarily because I know how to work on FI, but also because FI tends to be totally right until it's not. A replacement of a part makes it right again. Over all, I haven't had too much trouble with FI, though there have been a few times where the fault tracing was a bear. And there is the bad side of FI. I think the superior running versus the snorty carbs on a regular basis is a good trade off. CIS is probably the middle ground.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 08:12:05 pm
Then again, I enjoy working on my toys and tune my carbs on a regular basis.   Maybe I'm just old fashioned.    ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 09:34:46 pm
Can we label it F5 (F for forest)?

Interesting to find out in how many ways it differs from both C5 and G5.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 10:04:40 pm
To me going back to carbs is like going back to the good old days. I don't like being reminded what the good old days were truly like!
That was why I sold my Nortless!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 10:14:17 pm
True, I don't expect to see it in Europe and wonder how it got approved in the US?

Looks are good though.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt