Author Topic: New Royal Enfield Forest Green 500 with Carb  (Read 12833 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27:44 am
Yeah, EFI bikes can be lean but carb bikes are SUPER lean.  They usually have the needles set low and the mixture screw in pretty tight with a metal cap over it. And no more needles with several adjustment levels.  It's usually easy to pop out the metal cap and ruched the mixture and every bike has a website that tells you what hardware store to go to and which stainless steel washers to buy to shim up the needle.  I love EFI but there's no denying how accessible carb tuning is to the average Joe.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:22:25 pm
We will have Forest Green B5's with EFI next week. They really look good in the pictures. RE has gone to a carb 500cc in the homeland to add a better price point.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 11:22:28 pm
The Green G5 was "Velvet Green", or a British Racing Green. That color has been discontinued. The Forest Green is a new B5 color.

We will have Forest Green B5's with EFI next week. They really look good in the pictures. RE has gone to a carb 500cc in the homeland to add a better price point.

Are you serious?  I wanted green.  I tried to buy a green G5 last summer, but there weren't any available.  This is the first I've heard of a green B5 even being considered.

I'm angry at you, Kevin!  But I won't stay angry... for long...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:36:27 am by Kevin Mahoney »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:44 am
Took me a second to figure out that last post - looks like Keven edited mine instead of replying to it, adding his response to the top of my post.  Anyway...

I look forward to seeing the new color!  I googled for images, but I didn't find any photos... any chance of one here???  ;)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 04:10:16 pm
Black is beautiful , Mattsz !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:47 am
That must be why I had some much trouble with that post!
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15:23 pm
I should have clarified my comments on new bikes and EFI. I meant any new design as opposed to an existing model, such as the KLR 650. My bad.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:57 am
You would import a bike that had the passenger pouring into the intake manifold as a fuel delivery system if it would pass emissions. EFI and and/or a catalytic converter just makes is so easy. In theory you could do a carburetor, but why?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 01:06:20 am
You would import a bike that had the passenger pouring into the intake manifold as a fuel delivery system if it would pass emissions. EFI and and/or a catalytic converter just makes is so easy. In theory you could do a carburetor, but why?

A well tuned EFI is better than the best tuned carb...any day.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 09:24:14 pm

Kevin, was it just the price point or was there some backlash from mechanics and owners alike for giving them EFI that they don't understand and can't mess with?

Scott

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 03:12:46 pm
The Green G5 was "Velvet Green", or a British Racing Green. That color has been discontinued. The Forest Green is a new B5 color.

Are you serious?  I wanted green.  I tried to buy a green G5 last summer, but there weren't any available.  This is the first I've heard of a green B5 even being considered.

Dealer local to me had a 'velvet or BRG' green G5 Classic last Summer for quite awhile. (I had just bought my C5 Special). Now that I'm in the market again, I'm leaning toward a G5 and am wondering if this new green will be offered on the G5 also, and what it will actually look like. It looks a bit 'harsh' in the artists conception at the beginning of this thread.

I'm wondering if I should wait and take a chance on whatever is offered next, or try to locate a current model year G5 in the present green.

Any chance of getting an actual picture of the new B5 in this color - and confirmation if indeed this will be offered on the G5 as well?
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 04:00:19 pm
this is allegedy it...

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 04:23:08 pm
Interesting - looks almost black. That particular B5 appears to have 'modern' tread style tires as well.
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 04:35:40 pm
A well tuned EFI is better than the best tuned carb...any day.

This is true.  However, you don't need a computer to make a carburator work.  Sure EFI is more efficient, less emissions, b better hp, better mpg, but let's face the facts COMPUTERS FAIL!  ELECTRONIC SENSORS FAIL!  At least if my carb fails 50 miles from home, I can make some adjustments and at least be able to limp the bike home.  If you have EFI, if ONE little sensor fails, chances are you're going to be making some phone calls.   Hope you get good reception! 

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 06:19:17 pm
I am with Scottie J on this  :P
Enfields have been all about simplicity at least for the last 50 years. And in remote areas if something fails, you may still be able to limp back on the simpler versions. Bottom line, once it is out, I'll definitely try the carburetor with other modifications on my C5. People who did this conversion using UCE 350 wire loom and few other mods are quite happy.