Author Topic: C5 with Dynojet Power Commander, was it worth the money?  (Read 1650 times)

Finnrider

• Scooter
I got my tuned C5 Bullet Classic EFI m 2010 tested at Dynojet Test Center this winter. Results were: max power 18,9 hp at 4500 rpm and max torque 34,2 at 3500.  I wonder if anyone can comment these, especially compared to the standard C5?

The bike has now 12000 miles logged and it has worked like a clock, no problems at all. I have changed the front sprocket to 19 teeth, and this made driving small roads with speeds 40 to 50 mph much more comfortable.
Last September it was time to do some more modifications: New exhaust pipe, Goldstar silencer, KW airfilter and Dynojet Power Commander, all from Hitchcock's. First test drives after that were positive, there was more power, torque and revs (and noise).

Now I am not so sure. Was this worth the money, about 600 USD?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18:49 am
The HP figure seems to be in the typical range that is seen for UCE bikes on the dyno.
There have been some higher hp numbers shown by some other dynos and UCE bikes, but you have to remember that dynos vary, and there are also other factors which vary, So the dyno results are best for establishing a base line of data for your bike, and then using that as a comparison basis for future upgrade work, so you can see the results against your base line.
There are a lot of variables happening in a dyno test. The main thing is that it feels good to you when you ride it, and it does what you want it to do.

That being said, your peak torque number looks very good, and that is probably the biggest factor in the normal rpm range where you ride the most.
In fact, your torque looked so good, that I ran the calculation on it at torque peak rpm, and it should have about 22.8 hp @3500rpm with that 34.2 ft-lbs of torque.
I think maybe that's a typo, and should read 24.2 for peak torque? Or else your HP number should be higher?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:39:17 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:35:34 pm
I got my tuned C5 Bullet Classic EFI m 2010 tested at Dynojet Test Center this winter. Results were: max power 18,9 hp at 4500 rpm and max torque 34,2 at 3500.  I wonder if anyone can comment these, especially compared to the standard C5?

The bike has now 12000 miles logged and it has worked like a clock, no problems at all. I have changed the front sprocket to 19 teeth, and this made driving small roads with speeds 40 to 50 mph much more comfortable.
Last September it was time to do some more modifications: New exhaust pipe, Goldstar silencer, KW airfilter and Dynojet Power Commander, all from Hitchcock's. First test drives after that were positive, there was more power, torque and revs (and noise).

Well, not sure i'm following you. But if it was 600 bucks for the PC-V alone ?  Then no, it was probably not worth it. You can buy the latest version of the PC-V right here in the states, through your local Dynojet dealer/bike shop or directly from dynojet for under 400 dollars. But if, the 600 dollars was for all of the mods you mentioned ?  Then yes it seems pretty reasonable.  And it is always good to set the correct  AFR's and ignition changes for any mod you do.

Your mods seemed pretty mild, and the stock ECU may have corrected it's self for them ? Or you may have been able to adjust for the changes, through TPS  range adjustments. And verified on a dyno if you liked. But it's sure not a bad idea to have the PC-V for any further mods you may make down the road.

The performance changes you are seeing depend a lot on whether you are running the " canned" MAP, that came with the PC-V. Or if you had a new MAP created for your bike, at your location, with your mods, and by a competent Dyno tuner.  Which should take about an hour or so, depending on if they are working off of a base MAP, or they are creating a new one for you. Your "canned" MAP will likely get you very close, but it may or may not be optimized for YOUR bike and your location.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:05:17 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:57:43 pm
Is it worth the money? Only you can decide that. It's not like it's an investment that your going to make money on. If your happy with the way it works, I guess it was worth the money.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:28:08 pm

They never are .....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5