Author Topic: Harris Scrambler gets 'S' cams  (Read 16682 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:01 am
I'm interested in these S cams.  I have a 2008 AVL and have had up to 75, but was afraid to push it any farther.  Are there any other modifications to the engine, carb, or electrical to use S cams?  I have the stock CV carb.  My bike is pretty much stock mechanically, except that I have removed the stock air box and oil bath air cleaner.  Although more power would be nice, I am concerned about ruining the great gas mileage this bike gets.  I'm setting this bike up for long distance traveling.
Hi Buckeroo,
 The 'S' cams will make an improvement on their own, but really come into their own with other modifications, too. Personally, I would raise the compression ratio to 9.2:1 [I shorten the cylinder barrel and modify the piston crown to achieve this], Straight through 'Goldie' silencer - ie the type with the perforated tube and wadding inside that you can look in one end and see out the other and NOT the staggered metal baffle type , the performance CDI [TCI] - I pioneered these and they make a difference on their own and a nice, big, Amal MK II - I tried 32mm [MK I], 34mm MK II and 36mm MK II and the biggest gave the most power throughout the rev range - no flat spots, good starting and idling. I also fitted a 19t gearbox sprocket in place of the standard 18t job, to raise the gearing a little, although this machine had an 18" rear wheel. In my quest to prevent the violent valve bounce, which acts like a rev limiter, I had also fitted a set of double competition valve springs as available for the 'Classic' engines, but these may not be necessary, as I still had valve bounce after fitting them - it was the fitment of the 'S' cams that sorted it.
 I am currently weighing up getting more 'S' cams made, unfortunately they are not cheap, due to the small numbers involved when I order them, but they definitely work !!
 B.W.[
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:34:15 am by Bullet Whisperer »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 01:46:17 pm
I'm interested in these S cams.  I have a 2008 AVL and have had up to 75, but was afraid to push it any farther.  Are there any other modifications to the engine, carb, or electrical to use S cams?  I have the stock CV carb.  My bike is pretty much stock mechanically, except that I have removed the stock air box and oil bath air cleaner.  Although more power would be nice, I am concerned about ruining the great gas mileage this bike gets.  I'm setting this bike up for long distance traveling.

Hi Buckeroo,
 I don't think the S-cams themselves will hurt fuel fuel economy at all in normal riding and may improve it. Normal riding is the key and most folks forget that.

Let me try to put it in context I.E. my Iron Barrel.
Intake & exhaust are re jetted and de restricted, compression is raised slightly. These simple mods do pass more gas but the slight bump in compression extracts a little more power from each drop of fuel so I can use less throttle than before for the same rate of acceleration and the same cruising speed with a little less throttle.

The fuel efficiency is improved by a bit and it shows in commuting but I use up that gain by riding hard on the weekends and so it evens out.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:52:41 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:52 am
I'm more of an easy rider, but will crank on occasionally.  The RE takes a different riding style than most bikes I have owned or rode in my life.  I came along just when you met the nicest people on a Honda era.  Since then, I have had a few crotch rocket experiences.  But when I tour, I generally plod along looking at the scenery.  But it is nice to have the power to escape a situation or go up a really steep hill fully loaded.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:30 am
 Bills Harris Scrambler pulls about like his BSA 441Victor did and he has yet to raise the compression.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:26 am
With all the mods done, the engine gains a lot of power, everywhere. It is then up to the individual how it is used / ridden, but I had great fun once on the testbed machine imagining I had just robbed a post office and was making a quick getaway on it - out of character for an Enfield to encourage such boistrous behaviour, but that one did  ;D ;D
 B.W.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:13 am
Paul, when you worked on this Electra did you notice any big end issues? The AVLs  big ends fail here like anything, I guess a sleeve should sort this for us but no idea if anyone can get this kind of job done.

Regards,
Sanket
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:25:51 pm by dampking »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 07:25:00 pm
Paul, when you worked on this Electra did you notice any big end issues? The AVLs  big ends fail here like anything, I guess a sleeve should sort this for us but no idea if anyone can get this kind of job done.

Regards,
Zieu
Hi Zieu,
 I don't remember what mileage was on that testbed machine, I know it had a knock which I was asked to check out and it was a loose mainshaft nut inboard of the generator flywheel - I tightened it to get rid of the noise.
 A couple of weeks ago, I had the top end off another AVL for some tuning work and the big end felt like new, with 15,000 miles on the clock, if that helps.
 B.W.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:45 pm
That gives me hope. But even with that...  I am kind of "OK" with 1 rebuild after every 30,000 kms. That's pretty much how the game goes here, that is after riding  seriously hard :D

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 10:39:08 pm
Just to inform anyone who may still be interested, another batch of 'S' cams are on order from the cam makers, one set will be going into a machine I am upgrading here in the U.K., the rest should be available to interested parties Worldwide  ;) .
 B.W.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:27 am
Count me in. PM sent
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 10:40:54 pm
I've been following a lot of RE famous names for a while now...about 6 months. haha I've felt like a weirdo just following conversations, so i finally registered.  I have especially read a lot of bullet whisperers threads.  I too am very interested in the S cams for my 2007 royal enfield bullet electra x AVL.  I love the bike making it into a cafe bike.  I am happy with it, unfortunately i am absolutely addicted to modifying my toys. I am very down for a set of the S cams!! I have a TM 32 on the electra now with free flow pipe and unifilter works great very easy instal and tune, thanks to the forums! i've hit around 80-85mph but i want at least 100 one day...

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:42 am
I was thinking of trying the TM32 in the near future.  Do you feel as if you have it jetted well?  At some point, let us know what your pilot and main jet #s are.  A few guys run the TM32 on the Iron barrels but I'm not sure anyone has posted info for the AVLs.

Welcome to the forum.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 01:21:50 am
Hi armando_chavez and welcome aboard.  :)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 03:39:09 am
I was thinking of trying the TM32 in the near future.

My winter project as well. There are specs for bedlams tm32 used in his AVL in the tech section under carb settings thread.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 09:21:15 pm
Nice thanks for the heads up. I'll get those fork notes up there too.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM