Author Topic: Another stripped points plate screw  (Read 1265 times)

jeep44

• Scooter
on: April 04, 2013, 11:21:45 pm
I've been getting my '07 Bullet ready for riding this spring. I finally had enough of that little stock carb, and got the Amal kit over the winter. That went on easily, and looks good. I had a set of new points, so I thought I'd replace them. All went well, until I was drawing up the bottom piller stud on the points plate-one last little turn to snug it up, and then that sickening turn with no resistance-stripped!
   I ordered the repair kit from here, but then I started searching old threads-I came across the Rick Sperko thread from 2008, and decided to follow what was done there. I got a 10-32 Helicoil kit from my local auto parts place-it was $34, but it was genuine Helicoil, and it was in my hands when I needed it. I got out my air compressor with a fine nozzle, and blew out the holes in the distributor housing. Then I got my 30+ year old can of "Moly-D" tapping compound, and started tapping the stripped hole (I did not use a drill). Very, very carefully, making sure the tap was square to the housing, making a turn with a small wrench, and then backing off to break the chip-then turning in more,backing off,etc, until I knew I was almost bottoming out the tap. As was suggested in the old thread, I ground a bit off the lead of the helicoil tap to get a bit more thread in the hole. Careful,careful! go slow!
After blowing the hole out, I realized the tool to turn the insert in was too long with the primary case in place-so I cut it in half,and grabbed the shaft with a very small pair of vice grips, and turned the helicoil in. It just barely went in all the way, with no portion standing above the housing surface. If and when I do the top hole, I may cut one coil off the insert before I screw it in. Anyway, the hole is now better than new,thanks to the helpful information in this forum. Here's a couple of photos of the process:

Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:57:33 am
Nice write up and pics.
Doubtless they will be of help to our forum brothers.

Good on you Sir.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:12:14 am
Another hint: before I removed the points plate, I took a Sharpie, and made a line on the points plate and the housing, so that I could replace the plate exactly as it was. Paying no attention as I was cleaning up all the tapping compound, I wiped the timing mark off the housing :o. Don't make the same mistake I did!
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes