Author Topic: Front tire blow out  (Read 6598 times)

shamelin

• Bulleteer
on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:32 am
Today I dropped my bike for the first time.

There I was, cruising on I-35 at 65 mph or so, and all of the sudden my front tire blows.  I felt an immediate loss of control and had the presence of mind to drop my feet, using them to both stabilize the bike and to slow myself down a little bit.  I kept it in gear but since both feet were down, was unable to downshift or brake- it was wobbling so much, I didn't dare lift my feet.  I managed to ride her to about 30 mph, but the wobble was too much and I laid her down on the highway.

Immediately, I had a couple of people pick me up, make sure I was OK, and move my bike to the shoulder.  I had a little road rash but was otherwise unharmed.  The bike took a bit of cosmetic damage, mainly the front fender, headlight assembly, foot peg, and rear turn signal.  My riding gear also took some scrapes.

I thankfully had just put Roadside Assistance on my policy 10 days ago, so I had a tow to my house in about an hour.  At least 10 people stopped to make sure I was OK, almost all of them old bikers.  I was offered everything from a tow to some flares to a beer.  Bikers are good people.

I had an extra tube on hand, and when I got home I changed my tire and cleaner her up the best I could- bent things back in place and so forth.  I had filled up my tires about two weeks ago, so I was curious as to what the tube would tell me.  I've got stock tires with about 6K miles on them and plenty of tread left.  She was handling fine during a 15 mile morning ride and for the first 10 miles before my accident- the tires weren't soft at all.  When I pulled off the Avon, there was about 50% circumferential tear of the stem at its attachment to the Dunlop tube.  All of the stem screws were in place.

I've been keeping my pressures at 19 psi and 29 psi, front and back, as recommended by others in the forum.  I wonder if the front psi was too little.  I think I'll probably go up just to be sure.  I'd really like to hear others opinions about tire pressure in light of this story.

Lessons learned:
1. Know how to handle a front tire blow-out.  Don't panic, don't touch the front brake, ride her out, and hope for the best.
2. Consider roadside assistance.  Mine was $10 a year- so far, it's the best $10 I've spent on my Enfield.
3. Wear your gear.  The right gear significantly improves your ability to walk away from an accident.  Had I not been suited up, this story may be a bit different.  You can't prevent all accidents, but you can prepare yourself for them- make sure you're prepared.
4. Ride safe.  I am a physician who works at a Level 1 trauma center; I regularly see motorcycle collisions on my CT in the ER.  The vast majority of seriously injured bikers were riding drunk, high, speeding, or some combination of the three.  Don't be one of them.

All in all, a pretty good day.  I experience one of the most dreaded events possible on a motorcycle, I walked away, and so far it looks like I be out around $150 to get her looking pretty again.  Not bad.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:19:10 am by shamelin »

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:30:09 am
Glad you are okay.  +1 on wear your gear.

Regarding the tire pressure.   How much do you weigh?
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

eda1bulletc5

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:22 am
Hey shamelin!
Glad that you are ok! Yes, this front tire blow-out is always tricky and at highways speed could be bad...
Bikers are always real good people!! :-)
You have good rest and hopefully can start riding your RE soon

Sajiv
2011 RE C5 (@25K + miles)
2012 Honda NC700X 6-speed (sold @26K miles)
2013 BMW R1200RT (@43K + miles)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:23 am
Glad to hear that you are okay.

Thanks for sharing what you learned.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:00 am
shamelin:
Glad to hear that nothing more serious resulted from your blow out and you got yourself and the bike home safely.

So.... how was the beer? :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:04 am
Good to hear you got out of it with only a minor scratch or two. Better still you were wearing your protective clothing and the unfortunate event was not too drastic.
On the tyre/tube side ......makes you wonder what went wrong  :o

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:27:39 am
+1 On the gear and +1 On controlling the bike (even if you took a little spill)   ;)

Good news is that you're OK.  Front tire blow outs must be horrifying.  I've been fortunate to have only had my rear tire blow out on the highway.  Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.
Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bite the bullet

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:32:19 am
I had a rear tire blow out while on a ride two weeks ago. I was traveling along at around 35mph when the rear tire rapidly deflated in a near instant fashion. I was able to ride it out and being only a mile from home I walked the bike back. The valve stem sheered completely off from the tube. In my minds eye I pictured the tube shifting inside the tire due to low air pressure, although this is just my guess. Overall, it left a bad taste in my mouth as I'm new to the bike and riding in general.
2010 G5 deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:10:22 pm
Valve stem broken off. That may have happened after the tire deflated and wobbled around. But if that was the actual cause of the blow-out, it can be caused by an underinflated tire.

FWIW, I don't personally agree with the recommended 18psi front tire pressure on those tires.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Elliotthd

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:53 pm
I was following a dump truck through a mountain pass between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg two years ago on my Harley Hardtail. Well, that truck hit a bump and rattled a little in front of me and next thing I know both my tires are flat. Seems the truck dropped a few trim nails on the road in front of me and my wheels decided to pick ALL of them up. Well as my bike started to wobble I saw the inevitable 90 degree left hand turn with shear cliff face drop up coming up. My life flashed before my eyes as I hammed the bike left, slammed on the brakes and took her into a skid on her driver side. I think the only reason I'm still here is a combination of experience, gear, and a lower rate of speed. The phone call that I was 5 hours from home, with two flat tires, and bring pants freaked the wife out a bit, but she got over it when I finally got me and the bike home.

The lesson I learned was to give any kind of truck a very large berth whether is a pickup, a dump, or  station wagon with an open trailer. It's only happened to me once in 13 years of riding, but it's probably the single scariest thing that has happened to me. Including being hit by a taxi in downtown Philadelphia and dropping a Honda CFR125 while I was 30 feet in the air.

I guess my point is, I'm still riding. After dumps, and accidents, and scary situations, I still ride. Don't let something like this leave a bad taste in your mouth. You could jump back in a car, never touch a bike again, and get into a near miss scary situation just as easily. It's not the vehicle that's scary, it's the road.
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 02:29:27 pm
Glad to see your came out of this okay..Like ace stated, I suspect the low pressure enabled the tire to creep and tear loose at the valve stem (as in the excellent pic)..The security bolt feature  and tire pressure is suppose to keep the tube from slipping inside the tire but at 18 psi it's a gamble...I'm coming from a older enfield perspective and realize that the c5 are suppse to run at a lower psi for handling....
Oh Magoo you done it again

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 02:55:06 pm
I guess my point is, I'm still riding. After dumps, and accidents, and scary situations, I still ride. Don't let something like this leave a bad taste in your mouth. You could jump back in a car, never touch a bike again, and get into a near miss scary situation just as easily. It's not the vehicle that's scary, it's the road.

It's surprising how fast experiences like this are forgotten.
In your mind 4 day trips in pouring rain end up being great trips a couple of years later.
Flat tires,,,, just happen. Fix it and roll down the road again.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:42:54 pm
Thanks for the well wishes and all.

TWinOKC- I weigh about 160 lb.

Regarding tire pressure, I can only assume the valve stem was the culprit. I didn't see any other holes in the tire, although a small pinhole could have been undetected.  The tires were just filled 2 weeks before, so I suspect the flat was a result of:

1. Undetected pinhole which in turn ripped the stem during the ensuing chaos.
2. Weak valve stem attachment (bad tire).
3. Recommened 19psi is too low, and puts too much stress in the stem.

Alas, no beer for me Arizoni.  I was in uniform; I'm sure the sight of an military member drinkin a beer on the side of the road in midday would have raised a few eyebrows.  I sure could have used it though, with all the adrenaline running. through me.

The bike is running and road worthy.  Nobody's gonna tell me I can't ride, especially Fate.  Had a nice ride in this morning. 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:21 pm
Good to hear your OK, B5 brotha!

My understanding is the below-20 psi front pressures were recommended to help with the pre-"special" C5 handling problems.  I've kept my B5 tires to spec pressures without any handling issues.

Aren't there devices designed to keep inner tubes from creeping on the rim?  Do any of us use them?  Is it a smart idea?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:27:42 pm
     Rim locks would help. On a street bike use two at 180 degrees apart so you can balance the wheel. 20# of air is too low for a street bike.
     Riding technique: When your feet are on the pegs the effective center of gravity is closer to the axle line. This equates to more stability. When you remove your feet from the pegs your weight is entirely on the seat. With the resulting higher COG it is harder to control the (now magnified) yaw from the wobble- you can't use body english. With a flat at either end you should gradually ease off the throttle. Make no sudden moves. Don't touch the brakes. Don't try to muscle the handle bar. You will lose. Just try to maintain as straight a line as possible. Most of the time these techniques will at least allow you to slow down to a better speed to bail off.