Author Topic: Introducing myself and looking for some advice  (Read 4962 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:35 am
I've looked at this also. The problem is you need to modify the mounting on the C5. They don't just fit.
Elliott,
Welcome to the group.  These footpegs fit perfectly on a C5 and come with a RE specific folding mount.  Here are some photos of the vibration isolating footpegs on my bike.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15798.msg170738.html#msg170738
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 05:11:05 am
So I'm pretty new to this as well, and I've been trying to learn what's out there as well. Old hats, feel absolutely free to correct me if I'm wrong.  My observations thus far. The three basic things that people seem to go after quickly is the sprocket change, a new spark plugh and a better air filter, typically K&N. I've found mixed reports on the plug/filter thing, some people have ran into trouble.

Ace seems to be the undisputed man as far as tuning goes for RE, but most of his stuff goes over my head, tech wise, and I haven't found prices on any of it to even know if it's practical for my budget. I'm digging through his Ygroup now, trying to learn more. seems to be a goldmine all the same.

If you are able to trade in later this year, you can get the new Cafe Racer model which.... 

You'd have to sell your bike and buy an Iron Barrel model as a basis, and then.... 

I know this is a relatively inexpensive bike, which is one of the draws for me. But it's not so cheap that I can afford to just dump it and start over.

If money isn't an issue, check out the v-twin conversions. One is called the musket, at www.musketvtwin.com/ the next is the Carberry at http://www.carberryenfield.com.au/ and the third I've found is the Norcroft at www.norcroft.co.uk/. US/AUS/UK respectively. The musket isn't available yet, and the carberry requires a deposit that is higher than the new bike costs off the show room floor.

Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

Elliotthd

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 12:52:26 pm
Elliott,
Welcome to the group.  These footpegs fit perfectly on a C5 and come with a RE specific folding mount.  Here are some photos of the vibration isolating footpegs on my bike.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15798.msg170738.html#msg170738

Well would you look at that! Neither the nfield gear website or catalog doesn't list the C5 Classic as a compatible bike for these, so I was under the impression I would be doing some modifying. And if I'm gonna modify, I'm gonna use what I have on the shelf before I go and spend a lot of money on brand new stuff that may not work. So, thanks for that GSS.

@ben, I bought the C5 black because it has literally been my dream bike for 10 years. aI've got an unreasonable, bordering on unhealthy, almost certainly unnecessary amount of motorcycles and I finally got the one that has eluded me. Not only that, it's my first brand new bike, and my first bike with a warranty! I have zero desire to void it. Maybe if I came across an old RE 750 box twin motor I might switch it out, but I just freaking love the one lung gun that is a bullet 500. The v-twins are cool to look at though. I wouldn't say no to a test ride either......maybe find a used G5 somewhere? Hrm.... GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME! (My wife is going to start making me clean house soon.)
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:33:02 pm
So I'm pretty new to this as well, and I've been trying to learn what's out there as well. Old hats, feel absolutely free to correct me if I'm wrong.  My observations thus far. The three basic things that people seem to go after quickly is the sprocket change, a new spark plugh and a better air filter, typically K&N. I've found mixed reports on the plug/filter thing, some people have ran into trouble.

Ace seems to be the undisputed man as far as tuning goes for RE, but most of his stuff goes over my head, tech wise, and I haven't found prices on any of it to even know if it's practical for my budget. I'm digging through his Ygroup now, trying to learn more. seems to be a goldmine all the same.

I know this is a relatively inexpensive bike, which is one of the draws for me. But it's not so cheap that I can afford to just dump it and start over.

If money isn't an issue, check out the v-twin conversions. One is called the musket, at www.musketvtwin.com/ the next is the Carberry at http://www.carberryenfield.com.au/ and the third I've found is the Norcroft at www.norcroft.co.uk/. US/AUS/UK respectively. The musket isn't available yet, and the carberry requires a deposit that is higher than the new bike costs off the show room floor.

I have never seen any production Norcroft.
It appears Carberry has at least temporarily suspended production, at the last report that I heard. Don't know if they are going to continue or not.
The Musket 1000 is now complete and running, and it will be available as a basic engine parts kit after some time of road testing. Ace and the Musket are very closely tied. We will be producing engines based on the Musket crankcase kit.

For Ace kits, prices can range widely, based on what you want to do, and how much work you can do yourself.
The place for that information would be to ask on our site forum or email me.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 02:32:13 pm
@Ace. I typed that up during my lunch break. looking back I think maybe my tone was a little off. Wasn't trying to sound mean, but I think I did anyway. My level of technical skill is medium. Given the right tools and decent instructions I would feel confident stripping the thing down to the ground, putting it back together, and I'd expect it to run afterwards. But as far as an intrinsic knowledge of the workings of these bikes, and how to change anything and get a desired effect, I'm a truly next to helpless. I expect once I've learned enough to know what I'm looking for, I will be contacting you about kits and pricing, thank you for the nudge in the right direction.
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 03:07:53 pm
@Ace. I typed that up during my lunch break. looking back I think maybe my tone was a little off. Wasn't trying to sound mean, but I think I did anyway. My level of technical skill is medium. Given the right tools and decent instructions I would feel confident stripping the thing down to the ground, putting it back together, and I'd expect it to run afterwards. But as far as an intrinsic knowledge of the workings of these bikes, and how to change anything and get a desired effect, I'm a truly next to helpless. I expect once I've learned enough to know what I'm looking for, I will be contacting you about kits and pricing, thank you for the nudge in the right direction.

Hi,
No, your post was just fine. No bad tone as far as I could tell.
I was just adding a little info to the mix about the availability of twins, and that it's better to discuss pricing particulars about the Ace products on the Ace site.

You'll notice on the Ace site that we provide a lot of tech support for our builds, so that people don't go astray, or step in pitfalls that we can help them to avoid. Quite a number of successful Ace builds were accomplished by people who had never rebuilt an engine before, with our tech support helping them along. It's in our best interest for all our customers to have successful builds, so we help as much as people need.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 04:41:55 pm
The musket isn't available yet, and the carberry requires a deposit that is higher than the new bike costs off the show room floor.

Carberry is out of business.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 07:39:19 pm
First off, welcome to the community!

Well would you look at that! Neither the nfield gear website or catalog doesn't list the C5 Classic as a compatible bike for these, so I was under the impression I would be doing some modifying. And if I'm gonna modify, I'm gonna use what I have on the shelf before I go and spend a lot of money on brand new stuff that may not work. So, thanks for that GSS.

Not all the compatibility lists are completely perfect.  Also, they have these:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/premium-chrome-footpegs-pair.html
Which I believe are the same arms but without the pegs.  The pegs are from Kuryakyn.  Once you have the arms you can mount just about any of their pegs or boards.  Here's a page with some of their offerings with dimensions:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/files/general/Footpegs%20for%20web_Metric.pdf
Many Harley dealers carry these pegs and often have a selection on display.  Check with your local dealers.   You should be able to create a bolt on floor board for your bike.

FWIW, I believe there is also a heel/toe shifter for the bikes used in India.  You might try looking for it.  BulletWala offers many aftermarket parts.  Try them.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 01:39:44 am
Scott,
It is indeed the same arm painted black.  The complete footpeg set from NFieldgear cost less than what you would pay for either the chrome arms or the Kuryakyn pegs individually.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 02:00:37 am
Probably better to just get the black ones then and just get the pegs/boards you want.  They'll probably mate up to the mounting hardware that comes with the included pegs.

Scott