Author Topic: Oil Cooler  (Read 9569 times)

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:51 pm

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 05:27:16 am
 Standard sock cloth type filers are widely variable in their filtering abilities.

While we may get lucky and get one that catches particulates down to 35 microns ( .0013780in) others may only filter out solids down to 65 (.0025591in) or 70 microns  (.0027559in ) 

This is not too big of a deal in the floating bush con rod as anything small enough to pass between the parts does so and anything big enough to lodge between the bush and crank pin will imbed in the white metal of the bushing and in this way the clearance is maintained.

Roller bottom ends are a different story.
 They are precision ground and fitted to give the clearances ranging from .0008 (20.320 micron)  to .00015in. (38.100 micron) as the particular design requires.
 The bearings are made of hardened steel and ride on steel crank pins. There is no way for solid particles to imbed. 

This is where spin on filters become necessary. They trap solids down into the 10 to 15 micron range (.00039370in to .00059055in) that would otherwise spall and pit the rollers in short order.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:30:47 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 06:11:26 am
The extra volume of oil doesn't hurt either.
Mine is mounted to the engine mounting plate.
Chuck.

Mine too...very similar to what the original setup on the Badger was.  After some rough terrain riding, I've considered putting it up higher on the frame down tube, probably via a u-bolt.  I think I'm asking for trouble with it so low.  On pavement only, not too big of a deal, but I inevitably do stupid things for amusement.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 03:16:25 pm
On pavement only, not too big of a deal, but I inevitably do stupid things for amusement.

I've never done anything stupid on a motorcycle.....  Except those times I took my YZ 125 race bike to the liquor store for beer, with the front tire in the air.   ;D

ACE - Will this external filter adapter work on my '58 Trailblazer?  I plan on doing a lot of daily riding and mountain trips.  Also, I will be running Excelerated performance oil and would like to be able to run a synthetic fiber filter to get the best out of the oil.  Where are these filter kits available?
Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:43 pm
I've never done anything stupid on a motorcycle.....  Except those times I took my YZ 125 race bike to the liquor store for beer, with the front tire in the air.   ;D

ACE - Will this external filter adapter work on my '58 Trailblazer?  I plan on doing a lot of daily riding and mountain trips.  Also, I will be running Excelerated performance oil and would like to be able to run a synthetic fiber filter to get the best out of the oil.  Where are these filter kits available?
Scottie

If it has an external oil pipe from the oil pump to the head, which I think it does have, then you can cut that line and plumb a filter kit into that, as an in-line filter.
Ebay usually sells external oil filter kits, and the actual filter element typically comes from a small car, so you can get one that uses the type of filter element you want.
A popular one is sold as the "Norton Spin-On Filter Kit".

My partner Chumma in NJ has kits like the one Chuck has on his bike, and you can contact him of you like that one. Chumma put that one on Chuck's bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 10:44:10 am
I only just noticed this thread and thought this may be of interest - our 500 racer origianally had an oil cooler when we first built and ran it, but it was later removed to reduce weight and any possible leakage occurring, with no ill effects. G.B. is not the hottest part of the world, but the bike gets a lot of stick and overheated oil has never been a problem.
 On the filter front, we have a remote spin on job, tapped into the feed to the big end, this was necessary for us because the engine would not sit low enough in the Featherbed frame with the oil filter housing at the bottom of the timing cover - so, off it came. I would think it possible to replicate what we have done, without removing the filter housing [to keep the original appearance], but some modifications and plugging of certain oilways would be required.
 The pictures should be self explanatory, click on the links below them, if they appear too big by clicking direct on the pictures themselves.
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 02:26:34 pm
B.W. - That looks very clean and something I'd be interested in doing.  Where did you source your parts from?  Where did you tap the oil lines into?  Were there already holes there?

Scottie

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:23 pm
B.W. - That looks very clean and something I'd be interested in doing.  Where did you source your parts from?  Where did you tap the oil lines into?  Were there already holes there?

Scottie
Hi Scottie,
 It was 2006 when we finished building this bike and my Brother Ian sourced the remote oil filter components for me. All I can tell you is the oil filter base [which the spin on filter element screws onto] is U.S. made and I believe the spin on elements are from a Kawasaki 400 of some kind - I should be able to elaborate quite soon, with any luck.
 The braided pipework and unions etc all came from Earls in the U.K., the quill bolt for the big end feed was drilled and tapped to take the 90 degree union connecting to the filter outlet via a braided hose. The oil filter housing [original] was cut off the timing cover and the original drilling for the big end feed to the bottom of the quill hole was welded up, to close it off. The area around the oil hole coming from the feed pump into the original filter housing was built up with alloy weld, as it is quite thin, then drilled out part way and tapped out to accept another union connecting to the filter inlet via another length of braided hose.
 When I change a filter [they are non return types, so there is no syphoning back when the engine is stopped], I remove both hose ends and purge and fill the new filter from an oil can, a simple operation which ensures the big end gets oil as soon as the engine starts. It also just about eliminates any chances of wet sumping, as the filter is located above the gearbox and therefore above the oil level in the 'tank'.
 I would think it should be possible to convert a Bullet in a similar way without cutting the filter housing off the timing cover, but the plumbing would have to be altered accordingly.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:19:17 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 02:05:31 pm
Just asked my Brother, Ian about the components and he says the spin on element is for a Honda CBR 600, as this has the built in non return which the Kawasaki type did not, apparently. The platform the filter element spins onto also came from Earls, as did the pipework, mentioned above.
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28:32 pm
Thanks Bullet Whisperer!

ACE - Do you know if it's possible to tap into my 700cc case/cover to install the external filter in the same fashion that B.W. did?

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:45 pm
Thanks Bullet Whisperer!

ACE - Do you know if it's possible to tap into my 700cc case/cover to install the external filter in the same fashion that B.W. did?

Scottie
Scottie,
Yes, your engine has the same system of oil pumps, quill bolt, and oil filter housing, just like the Bullet has.
Even though I have not inspected the drillings of the Trailblazer timing cover, I suspect that they are the same as the Bullet.
I would recommend using a long pipe cleaner pushed thru all the drillings to verify their locations and routes before proceeding.
Home of the Fireball 535 !