Author Topic: Epic BSA Club Ride  (Read 6189 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: March 25, 2013, 04:04:51 am
Left the pad this morning for a club ride through north eastern San Diego county. No wingmen on this ride, Bare is involuntarily retired and Bikesnob traded in his C5 for a new T100 and was off riding elseware. The BSA Club of Southern California has some nice rides, I didn't want to miss this one. I rode 60 miles south to the meeting point in Temecula and met up with about 30 other riders. There was a few BSA's , alot of new and old Triumph twins, some BMW's and why I don't know , some stinking Harley's. I thought ,Damn, Ive got the smallest bike here until I found a nice BSA Victor. There was 1 other Royal Enfield, A beautifully restored 750 Interceptor. We departed at 10 for Highway 79 south to San Ysabel for lunch. A nice ride , been down that road quite a bit since riding with Bare and always enjoy it. The road was nice, the sun was shinning and I found I was having no trouble at all keeping up with the pack. We stopped for lunch, overwhelmed a restaraunt with 30 riders wanting food on a quiet Sunday morning. That place was instantly busy with not enough help. Not the first time Ive seen that on a club ride. We ate, mingled outside for awhile then it seemed to turn into a race back to the starting point via Highway 76 through the Pauma Valley. Lots of twisties where the old twin riders got a new respect the Royal Enfield Bullet. I couldn't count the bikes I passed in the tight twisties coming into Lake Henshaw. Man those new shocks WORK ! I probably need new pads on the disk now, they really got a workout. It seemed like a flash but before I knew it we were back in Temecula at the start. It was a great ride, great food and great conversation. The bike never missed a beat and has never handled better. I rode home, parked the bike and just between you and me, slept for 3 hours. I think I'm getting old.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:13:49 am by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:05:34 am
Check this Bad Boy out !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:08:35 am by Jack Leis »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:35:38 pm
That is one beautiful Interceptor!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:46 pm
Pretty short ride! Sounds like fun though. Which restaurant did you go to?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:50 pm
Pretty short ride!

Do I detect a bit of envy?  I know I have some!  ;)

Anyway, Bare, don't you know that all Jack's rides are epic?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:44 pm
Anyway, Bare, don't you know that all Jack's rides are epic?

Of course I do! This one was one of the shorter EPICS though!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:08:55 pm
Yes Bare, It wasn't anything like the marathons you and I have blazed in the past for sure. The loop was only 105 miles but an absolute blast on the way back because we didn't encounter the weekend travel trailer haulers like we did heading south on 79. I cant exactly name the re staraunt, the Apple something kitchen sounds as close as i can get too it. You and I had a great lunch in there once before. If I remember right they had buffalo burgers if that helps. I really wish you could have been there.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:17:58 pm
Not nearly as much as I wish I were there. This not riding stuff sucks!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:31:43 pm
That Interceptor is a thing of beauty !

Bare: Hows the pain brother ?

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:46:15 pm
Nice looking Matchless lurking in the backround of that last picture.
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:36 pm
Bare: Hows the pain brother?

I'm pretty thoroughly healed up.
My pain is not having my G5 to ride after the insurance company stole it! Now I'm waiting impatiently for a new Cafe Racer. I could've had it fixed and on the road, if it weren't for Progressive!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:12:49 pm
Are they sending it to the yard?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:14 pm
Are they sending it to the yard?

They did that to it. And there wasn't that much wrong with it. The tank was dented, the seat was ripped, the stuff on the bars took a bit of a beating. I don't think the bars were even bent. Not that I could see anyway. Brake Master cylinder, throttle cables, one mirror and a scratched up bar end. The levers probably would have replaced because they were looking ratty anyway. Possibly the grips. The muffler was bent. Beyond that, nothing I could see or feel. It still ran fine.
They didn't even ask me what I wanted to do with it. They just totaled it. They did send me a list of what they thought was damaged, but I certainly didn't see anything wrong with most of it. I did tell them I would take a lot less money than they were going to offer me if I could just keep it. I figured I could fix everything for less than $1500. They said it was all or nothing! They were adamant about totaling it and I didn't have anything to say about it. They did offer it back to me for $900, but with a salvage title that I would have to get. I don't get what they were trying to do, but lets put it this way, there is NO WAY IN HELL I will ever use them again!
Besides, their way left wing politics don't suit me, either.
Bare
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:02:46 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:17:39 pm
You know which scrap yard ? Thats a pretty good deal, even if it needs a new frame. I'd be tempted to send the engine to Ace.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 02:20:52 pm
That Interceptor is where it's at... and that Matchless looks pretty nice too.  Between those, your Enfield and the BSA, that's one hell of a round up for sweet motos!  I would crash my car watching that troop parade by.

Bare - Too bad about your Progressive experience.  Between a crash and a theft, they were absolutely stellar for me.  Yah, they were very quick to total my bike, and that is why I told them, no thank you... I'll just fix it myself.  With the theft, they gave me as much time as I wanted before processing the claim.  They said no one has ever taken as long as me... people usually just want cash, asap.  I actively looked for my DRZ for 2 effing months.  They were patient and accommodating and everyone I dealt with was so incredibly helpful.  After that I took my car off the lizard insurance and got Progressive dialed in there too.  When my cat-converter was stolen off my 4-Runner, Progressive was once again amazing.  My mechanic said even though he despises insurance companies, Progressive and the particular agent were "absolutely incredible."  They agent drove around and picked up the parts himself so we'd have our truck back ASAP, and he even through in an entire muffler after my mechanic told him it'd be tricky to get off since it was on for so long and the bolts would have to be cut.  My muffler had about 1,000 more miles on it so he did us a huge favor.

Sorry about your troubles... Progressive all the way for me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:24:43 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM