Author Topic: Pedestrian Slicer DIY  (Read 7550 times)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
on: March 24, 2013, 08:47:31 am
I was looking at the whole decorative aspect of my C5 Mil, I've made saddlebags, and fork bags. A very kind soul by the handle of b.sheets is helping me with a holster project, so I decided to go ahead and work on a pedestrian slicer. The cost of the standard nfield gear slicer is very reasonable, but I want to make my own for the style of it. The other factor that plays into my mind is that I don't want to drill holes in my fender and the standard slicers all seem to mount directly through the fender.

For base material I've decided to use an ammo can. I'm planning on bringing the mount up and over from the front fender mount screws. then for the rear I was thinking to set it on a pedestal with a rare earth magnet to keep it from sliding around. I've got pictures of the first few steps thus far, but I find myself wanting to go to bed so I'm posting what I got done and how.

The first step was to make a template. I used a Mountain Dew box, held it up and had my wife draw a line around the box using the fender as a contour guide. After that I cut the line, then made a rather cheezy protractor using another piece of cardboard. The protractor allowed me to extend the curve out by a half an inch and again by another couple of inches so it would still match contour for the spot where it mounts. I test fit it then chose the design of ped slicer I wanted off of google. Trimmed it up and test fit again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:53:22 am by benknrobbers »
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:56:37 am
I hate to be the first person to reply to my own post but more pics to go, along with a very short explanation. Once I was happy with the design of the slicer I transferred it to the ammo can, and 17 dremel cut off blades later, walked away with my slicer.  Sometime in the next couple of days I'll start working the front mounting brackets.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:01:38 am
looks good...keep going.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:25:08 am
Rear magnetic mount plan is brilliant!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:21:26 pm
Looks great.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:23:42 pm
I like a cock's comb.
Wonder if the average pedestrian still knows their use?  ;D

Just saying, nice project and nicely documented. Very neat indeed.
Love to see its continuation.  :)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:28:21 am
I hate to be the first person to reply to my own post but more pics to go, along with a very short explanation.

116 views in just a couple hours and an update with more to come :D

Keep doing what your doing  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:31:51 am
I'll try to start on the support brackets tomorrow morning.

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:20 am
What is it about OD green paint that no two containers are ever the same shade. I tried one variety in my paint gun, and 3 different cans and none of them match. They don't even match each other.

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:45:21 am
One of gurus was going on about that. On another thread. I'll try to find it later. :)
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:02 am
I've got both halves of my brain fighting over this one. The OCD side tells me that I have to match it. The part that's seen OD green mil vehicles daily for 20 years knows that having 6 shades of OD green is pretty par for the course.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 09:17:45 pm
Could always go flat black with white stencil lettering, or vice versa.  I say just go with the wrong shade and leave it mismatched.

Scott

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 03:32:26 am
Took the bike to an auto parts store today, to get the paint matched. They scanned it like 5 times and were like, this finish must be confusing the scanner. Apparently it kept reading metallic, non lead based, but couldn't get a fix on the pigment. I'm going to a different place in the morning, to try and match this.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:21 pm
Took the bike to an auto parts store today, to get the paint matched. They scanned it like 5 times and were like, this finish must be confusing the scanner. Apparently it kept reading metallic, non lead based, but couldn't get a fix on the pigment. I'm going to a different place in the morning, to try and match this.

The cheaper "Prophet" cameras work a little differently than the higher quality ones.  The cheaper "prophet" cameras take multiple pictures of the paint and then goes through it's database and finds the closest match to what it scanned.  The more expensive "Prophet" cameras will take a picture of the paint and actually create a recipe to match the paint that is currently there to work with.  Your best bet is going to be to speak with a auto body supplier who sells custom paints like House Of Kolors and the PPG DBC line ( DBC is PPG's performance coatings line).  Someone who sells these products to custom painters NEED the more expensive "Prophet" cameras so that they can match custom colors/paints that custom painters like myself like to create for 1-off custom cars.

And for the record, I have had a MUCH better success rate matching paint with the more expensive style "Prophet" cameras.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:23 am
Does anyone know for certain if the side of the C5 Classic tank is finished in white, or if it's an off-white / ivory / cream? Fiona's sure looks off-white to me...

I've got a slicer project of my own, painting the plate Royal Maroon to match the bike, with a white (or off-white, as the case may be) panel that matches the tank, and my tag number in a red-with-gold-edging typeface I devised that matches the RE tank logo pretty closely.

(Why yes, I do have a lot of spare time on this tour... Why do you ask?)
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
`
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:43 am
Does anyone know for certain if the side of the C5 Classic tank is finished in white, or if it's an off-white / ivory / cream? Fiona's sure looks off-white to me...

I've got a slicer project of my own, painting the plate Royal Maroon to match the bike, with a white (or off-white, as the case may be) panel that matches the tank, and my tag number in a red-with-gold-edging typeface I devised that matches the RE tank logo pretty closely.

(Why yes, I do have a lot of spare time on this tour... Why do you ask?)

Sounds pretty, you'll have to post pictures when it's done, and about the color thing, I'm not sure. I got the paint mixed for mine, they did a pretty good job matching colors. My air brush broke after the second coat. I also started noticing the major blemishes in the previous finish, but it just kind of makes me smile, given that it's supposed to look military, beat up is fine. Also when i settle on something to put on it, I'm stenciling it on there in white rattle can, making sure that the edges aren't perfect and that I get a bit of overspray. I've decided that for once the crappier of a paint job that I do the more realistic that it will look.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 09:10:27 pm
Sounds pretty, you'll have to post pictures when it's done...
This is my rough draft. I got fairly close with the typeface, I thought, considering it doesn't really exist in any typography archive that I can find.  Close enough...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:30:06 pm
Very convincing. Excellent result.
I also like the shape of the slicer.
Is gonna attract quite a crowd, for sure.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 05:25:45 am
This is my rough draft. I got fairly close with the typeface, I thought, considering it doesn't really exist in any typography archive that I can find.  Close enough...

That looks REALLY good.  I say do it!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 05:37:16 am
Splendid...looks very nice!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~