Author Topic: Trying to Identify My First Royal Enfield Purchase  (Read 3099 times)

texasrifleman

• Neophyte
on: March 24, 2013, 04:37:56 am
So, I've been bitten by the motorcycle bug and I'm ready to get my first bike. I wanted a bike for commuting/cruising, and was thrilled to find a bike that fits the vintage look that I love... the Royal Enfield is an amazing bike and looks to be an excellent bike for a beginner.

I found the bike, modified exactly as I want it, as a picture. Now I need to find the base bike to convert into my dream bike. Here's the pic:

I want this color of green and was wondering A) what is it called? and B) what years were this model made with this color? I also noticed that it dosen't have shock boots... is this a modification, or did some models come like this?

Thanks for any advice or tips!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:48:59 am
Thats British Racing Green. They still make REs in that color albeit with a newer much more reliable motor. Here: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-g5.html

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:07:28 am
That one looks to have a starter so it would be newer then mine witch is a 99, but I do have the same fork tubes.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:41:42 pm
The pictured frame style looks to be the current C5 style (picture is an earlier edition).  Unfortunately, the C5 is not available in the BRG.  The G5 is in the desired color, but a slightly different frame style.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:19:28 pm
The picture is about an '03 500ES iron barrel. It was the standard frame of the day. The new engines don't quite look like that, but they still have the RE charm without the hassles.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:41:15 pm
Yes, Bullet 500 ES  "Classic" with a 5-speed gearbox, which means it is 2005 or later.
The "Classic" models had all the body work the same color as the tank, with gold pin-striping. The "DeLuxe" models had chrome tank with color accent(Black, Red, British racing green, or Peacock Blue) panels and gold pin-striping, with chrome fenders and chrome airbox. All models had color-coordinated gauge/headlight "casquette" which matched the tank paint.

The metal fork covers were standard, but there were some models called the "Sixty-5" which had the rubber fork gaiters, and the later Electra-X with the AVL engine had the fork gaiters.

That photo you showed has an aftermarket solo seat with springs in tan, which was available from CMW/NField Gear at the time.
It also has the aftermarket front fender number plate which is commonly called a "pedestrian slicer".
And it has the aftermarket "Bullet" turn signals, and the aftermarket 7" headlight kit with Tri-Bar headlight.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:46:19 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:06:29 am
So, I've been bitten by the motorcycle bug and I'm ready to get my first bike. I wanted a bike for commuting/cruising, and was thrilled to find a bike that fits the vintage look that I love... the Royal Enfield is an amazing bike and looks to be an excellent bike for a beginner.

Hello texasrifleman and welcome to the forum.

Some of the best times of my life revolved around motorcycling and still do.

I can not over emphasize the importance of getting some MSSF training.
I kid you not it was the single smartest move I ever made. I call it survival training.
 Get some now while you're still new and learning so you don't have to fight bad habits for the rest of your life like me.

I found the bike, modified exactly as I want it, as a picture. Now I need to find the base bike to convert into my dream bike. ~H

A few words of caution.
 That Bike is powered by an Iron Barrel engine. It IS vintage in every sense of the word.
 By that I mean It's a seventy year old design that was in continuous production for sixty years essentially unchanged including the manufacturing and metallurgy.

They are quirky, maintenance intensive and do not tolerate modern road speeds for long.

The bike itself is a good one to learn riding on but to learn ownership and maintenance?  there are much better choices like the UCE powered B5 Bullet for example.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-b5.html

Thanks for any advice or tips!

You're welcome.

Not trying to scare you,,,just sharing the info.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:14:26 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:18 pm
Thats British Racing Green. They still make REs in that color albeit with a newer much more reliable motor. Here: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-g5.html

The bike pictured is actually Velvet green. The Electra and E5 (not common in the U.S.) are British Racing green. The G5 and Classic Iron Barrels are Velvet.
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

SirStanley

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:17 pm
I've always been confused by all the variations in the Bullet line... now I'm even more confused.

My bike is an '04 with electric start and a 5-speed. This is an unusual combo for an '04?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:45 pm
I've always been confused by all the variations in the Bullet line... now I'm even more confused.

My bike is an '04 with electric start and a 5-speed. This is an unusual combo for an '04?

Yes, it is one of the more rare ones.
The 5-speed was introduced sometime in '04, but I don't think many came in until '05.
ES was an option until 2005, when it became standard. But I think that most of the bikes by then were already being sold with the ES.
You have one of the early 5-speed bikes.

Probably the rarest factory bike would be a '04 5-speed KS model(no electric start)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

SirStanley

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:32:21 am
Thanks for the info, Ace.