Author Topic: Turn Signal LED Help  (Read 1495 times)

Timinator

• Scooter
on: March 23, 2013, 06:57:25 pm
I know the LED issues have been discussed a lot on here, but I can't find a solution to mine. I switched over all of my lights to LEDs from Superbrites on my 2010 C5, including a LED flasher unit. When I have any signal flashing, the opposite blinks dimly, and so does the flash indicator on the speedo.  So, I grounded the indicator housing and it takes away the opposite dim light when the right side is flashing.  However, with the grounded indicator housing and then flip on the left turn signal it blinks all the lights, or creates a spark on the grounded indicator.  I'm figuring something is crossfeeding or there is a ground issue somewhere.  I did put 150 ohm resistors on each signal, as discussed on another thread on here to get them to work in general.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:20 pm
The issue is with the little bulb in the instrument panel and the way the RE wiring is laid out so that the right and left circuit pass through the same bulb.  This will fix it http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-Diode-Kit-4709/dp/B000TK7XMY

I did the full LED swap a while ago but left out the indicators as you don't really save much with LEDs in this position and the OEM incandescent bulbs are much brighter.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:54:01 pm
On wiring with only one indicator on the dash the ground runs through that bulb  and through the other turn signal. Basically this means the wattage of the turn signal bulbs needs to be higher then the indicator on the dash to keep the third bulb from coming on. Current will still go through it but the lower resistance won't let it heat up.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:55:10 pm
The diode kit fixes this problem.  Did you buy from superbrightleds.com?  They have a diode kit for $2.29...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:09:37 pm
Would the diode kit defeat the purpose of having less draw on the battery though?

I would presume then that if the diode kit was used that I wouldn't need the resistors on the individual lights anymore then either?

Thanks for the help!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:43:23 pm
The diode kit does not defeat the LED "savings".  Adding resistors to each signal takes away from your savings.

For the original wiring to work, the turn signal bulbs must have a higher wattage than the indicator bulb.  The signal bulb that isn't flashing supplies the ground path for the indicator bulb, where we want the indicator bulb to light but not the signal bulb.  It's a creative circuit, and it works very well - until you change the signal bulbs to LEDs which require very little juice to light up.

The diodes simply provide a ground path for the indicator bulb - use the diode kit, and you won't need resistors on the signal lights.

Please read the following thread - it's long, but it's full of very useful information, including Gremlin's circuit sketches and Bulletman's final success story:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15211.0/all.html

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:01:41 pm
Cool, I think I'll go the diode mod route.  Seems a lot simpler than the resistor system I have set up at the moment.  The LEDs are quite bright in daylight. I'll post pics of before and after when I get it done.

Thanks for the info and reference to the other thread mattsz.  Have a great weekend all!

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18:20 am
Put in the diode and let there be light! Signals are now working without an issue, thanks!  I stuck with the clear led cluster bulbs for the signals, rather than the amber, they look a lot brighter.