Author Topic: Vibration and oil leak  (Read 2096 times)

Varis

• Scooter
on: March 21, 2013, 06:39:05 pm
Hey all,

I just got a new C5 (red) a few weeks ago.  It currently has enough miles for its break-in service and I will be taking it in this weekend.  Just a few things I have noticed.  First it seems to have a lot of vibration in the foot pegs and the seat that is directly related to engine RPM. It is not too bad until I am above 55-60 or so. The vibration in the seat bothers me a lot for reasons you can imagine (I am a guy).  Is this normal for the C5?

Also I noticed a small oil leak from the coming from near the front sprocket.  I spoke to the dealer about this and he was familiar with the problem and it will be fixed under warranty.

Lastly I sometimes hear a "clunk" or "kink" noise when I start the bike that goes away after 20-30 seconds, but I think this is normal.

I was just wondering if you guys have an additional thoughts.

Other than that I have a lot fun more fun on this bike than I did my starter bike (Honda Rebel I have been riding for about a year) and I now understand why people enjoy riding motorcycles so much.   

Thanks!
Beau
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:48:59 pm by Varis »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:55:54 pm
Welcome to the forum. :)

You've probably already read the posts that suggest checking all of the nuts/bolts to make sure they are tight.  Loose engine mount bolts or the bolts that hold the head steady (brace at the rear of the top of the cylinder) can increase the vibration.
Beyond that, during break in vibration is quite common.  As the bike gets more miles on it they decrease.  I found that after 1500 miles almost all of the vibration had disappeared on my bike and it became amazingly smooth for a big single.

The oil leak at your sprocket is probably thick blackish oil/grease?  If so, it is the oil that was thrown off of the chain while you were riding.
If it is thin, almost translucent oil it is from one of the seals in the area.  It's good that the dealer will check it out.

If the "clunk" is a tap, tap, tapping it is the automatic decompression device that's built into the exhaust cam.  The device is supposed to retract when the engine gets up to idling speed.
These usually don't make much noise during warm weather but the thick engine oil during the cold season can make them hang up a bit.
Slightly revving the engine usually will make the noise go away.

Have fun with your new bike and remember when it comes to riding, Trust No-one.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:11 pm
Welcome to the forum.

Check the tire pressures.  18 front and 28 rear, I know this seems low but trust me, it makes a lot of difference.  You might want to check the owners manual to verify those numbers.  I am away from home now and my memory is not very good.
The oil leak is probably just coming from the chain.

You have a UCE bike, might have better luck in that category, its just below this one. On the main page.

Good luck to you with your new bike.

2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Varis

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:33 pm
Thanks for the advise!

The bike is clearly leaking oil... at first it was a mixture of fling off and oil, but I cleaned that up.  The engine oil is pretty easy to tell from what must be old fashioned 80 or 90 weight gear oil used on the chain.

It is good to know that the vibrations in the bike will go down after 1-2K miles!  I'll recheck how tight the bolts are.  I did find one that is loose.  It is located below the right foot peg and looks like it connects the engine to the frame.  I tried to tighten it, but the bolt spins as I turn the nut.  Which means I need I hold something on the other end OR it is simply very loose. (stripped?)  Anyway I'll point it out to the dealer.  He has been a RE dealer for about as long as I have been alive and I am pretty sure there was a time when he did all or most of the motorcycle repairs in his shop.

Beau

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:29:42 am
 I've not checked the details of the foot pegs on the UCE machines.
If they attach in the same fashion as the Iron Barrel models do then there will be a rod hexagonal threaded on both ends that passes through from side to side.

It takes a wrench on both ends to tighten the foot pegs.

Two of many causes of errant vibes.
 A loose head steady attachment bolt and a slack drive chain.
No matter where you go, there, you are.