Author Topic: Rear Mudguards That Are'nt Hunchbacked!  (Read 1802 times)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 23, 2013, 01:36:01 am
I'm looking to source a slightly shorter fender that follows the curvature of the rear 19" wheel rather than look like a hunchback like the stock ones do. And I am wanting to attach it with a carrier similar to the one used for the Continental rear alloy fender, but without the top bracket for the top of the fender and rear portion of a dual seat to attach to. Has anyone used this particular fender from Hitchcocks, or know of something of quality and similar in style, as well as know of a a carrier similar to this without the top bracket? (short of cutting it off, which I would do as well as fitting fender mount tabs at the front like the stock one)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:38:05 am by cafeman »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 01:51:57 am
The "hunchback" look comes from the fact that the fender is frame mounted, and the wheel needs to have suspension travel underneath it. So, when the bike is unloaded(nobody sitting on it) it looks "hunchbacked" under the rear fender. This appearance goes away when you are sitting on it.

Best way to avoid this hunchback look when unloaded is to attach the fender to the swing arm with struts, and make it a "hugger".
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:22:39 am
I understand the why, but the perception of "hunchback" is largely due to the length of the fender,  mainly the rear portion of the fender that sits close to the wheel at rest. So what I really need is a shorter fender, something about 4" or so. I'm not sure if the one I mentioned is suitable. As much as I would hate to do it,  I might have to look at Hog aftermarket fenders as well for what I'm after.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 02:29:38 am
My old Bonneville Special, with the rear fender to tire look I'm after: A little bit more valance than this, short, and painted black w/gold pinstripe and a black carrier w/no top loops:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:04:56 am by cafeman »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:58:42 am

Best way to avoid this hunchback look when unloaded is to attach the fender to the swing arm with struts, and make it a "hugger".

I'm actually having someone fab up some struts for me now for just this purpose.  Some local cops decided my no-rear-fender setup was a reason to threaten impoundment of my bike, and this is the easiest way to install one while retaining my cafe-dirt track tail section thing.

Trimming my former drum brake front fender to just nestle in behind the swingarm axle, to be held in place for now with a hose clamp passing through a slit in the fender.  (yes, I am a ghetto engineer.) 

Struts to run from the rear shock mounts to bolt holes on the fender.  It's a temporary thing, I think, for now.  But certainly seemed easier than mounting it to the frame.  It's a bit more unsprung weight but don't think it'll destroy my otherwise-highly-tuned rear suspension action...  ::)

All in all, in flat black it is as close to a no-rear-fender look as I could get, and if you paint it something pretty it'll look very nice.  It's easily trimmed to whatever length you like.