Author Topic: Newbie Intro  (Read 10395 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 05:44:26 am
Ah, not an option then.  I've reassembled a wrecked bike or two on Palomar so a limping Marine could get it back home.  They do have jackets and vests that look much better these days, thankfully.

Scott

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 12:35:11 pm
, if you die your family doesn't get the insurance money.

SGLI is a VA benefit. It will still pay out  although I really don't recommend that route. Might scuff the bike.

http://www.insurance.va.gov/sglisite/SGLI/mythsRumors.htm

2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 12:57:51 pm
SGLI is a VA benefit. It will still pay out  although I really don't recommend that route. Might scuff the bike.

http://www.insurance.va.gov/sglisite/SGLI/mythsRumors.htm
I stand not only corrected, but a little abashed at the false statement that I've not only believed, but have perpetuated myself over the years. Bravo!
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 02:17:35 pm
Amazing the things you can pick up on a motorcycle chat thread! :)

The MSF is a pretty awesome course. I'm actually taking my experienced refresher next week. We're now supposed to renew every three years. Is the AF doing the same thing?]

https://safety.army.mil/MMP/

At least it's free on post for Military!
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 02:31:09 pm
Amazing the things you can pick up on a motorcycle chat thread! :)

The MSF is a pretty awesome course. I'm actually taking my experienced refresher next week. We're now supposed to renew every three years. Is the AF doing the same thing?]

https://safety.army.mil/MMP/

At least it's free on post for Military!

I tried to access that link - my Firefox browser gave me a warning instead, paraphrased as:

"THIS CONNECTION IS UNTRUSTED  -  safety.army.mil uses an invalid security certificate."

Now that's funny...

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:34 pm
I tried to access that link - my Firefox browser gave me a warning instead, paraphrased as:

"THIS CONNECTION IS UNTRUSTED  -  safety.army.mil uses an invalid security certificate."

Now that's funny...

The DOD doesn't publish certificates very well I guess, I've encountered the same thing on AF websites a couple of times.

I haven't seen anything on the AF side of the house about having to take refresher, they seemed quite willing to accept a 10+ year old card if I could've found the thing.

On the other hand our guys have to take the advanced course within a year of the basic if we are riding a "sports" bike. Something tells me I'll be safe from that.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 04:12:48 pm
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on your new Military Bullet!  I literally live next door to Buckley AFB in Aurora, CO and LOTS of military personal live in my apartments that ride.  I always see the Air Force and Army guys wearing the safety orange vests, but I never realized it was mandated for them to wear at all times.

The rider safety courses are well worth the time and money, especially if it's your first time riding or if it's been several years since you have last ridden.  I myself grew up on 2 wheels and rode a dirt bike for the first time when I was 8 and had my own bike when I was 12.  Even after riding for over 20 years, I still have had some close calls on the road.  Always at the hands of some other careless driver.  It's very important you know exactly how your bike handles and what YOU need to do in a split second to react to any kind obstacle you might encounter, whether it's a animal running out in front of you or being cut off by another driver.  I'm sure there are many people on this forum that have had a close encounter of some sort and can attest to the importance of knowing what to do when the time comes.

My best advice to a new rider is ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings and NEVER ride directly next to another vehicle if avoidable.  Either accelerate and get ahead of the car or slow down and get behind.
Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 05:13:56 pm
If we're talking about the MSF course...

When I took it, there was a complete cross section of rider experience in my class.  The most experienced guys who were riding the longest were all the most vocal about how much they learned, and how much they got out of the class...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 07:04:09 pm
I've actually been thinking about taking an "experienced" riders course.  There's a guy north of Denver that used to be (or maybe still is) a professional racer, and from what I understand you train and ride on a closed course.  I'm going to look into further once it gets nicer out.
Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:41 am
I believe my frustrations have been misinterpreted.  I'm a supporter of the class. I plan on taking it again one way or the other. My wife has shown interest in riding, and I've made known that I expect her to attend one as well. My frustration is at the total lack of organization on the MSF's part. I made up my mind to buy a motorcycle a little while back, so I dug through my stuff and found my old wallet. I found part of the card but not enough to get me on the program. So I jumped online and went directly to the MSF's website. You click the Contact us button which leads you to another page where the first question is "How do I get a replacement card" click that and it takes you down a bit and tells you that they don't keep records and that you need to contact the state or military branch representative.

I called the state representative, (Louisiana DOT) who was an amiable enough person who basically told me that the LaDot took over the from the department of education a couple of years ago, and they have no records prior to that. I contacted the AF representative (hey congress this guy a waste of oxygen, sequester maybe?) he told me that he couldn't do anything and I had to talk to the original ridercoach at the school I took it at. I call the school I went to, only to be told they don't teach it anymore, that I should call the base. I call the Barksdale AFB Wing Safety office and they politely suggest I'm S.O.L. I even went so far as to call the new school in hopes that they maybe use the same guy was teaching there, not so much though.

I understand that the MSF is a not for profit organization. I also understand that somehow they've managed to set up over 2700 sites, which translates to 27,000 motorcycles for training. They charge $200-300 a person for a two day course of training. I would say that they have the resources available to easily maintain, at the very least, a central records database of their training. They have a pretty decent sized website, to include a trainer site that is already password protected (https://www.retsorg.org/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f). Adding a database collection point to this site for the actual trainers to input their class rosters wouldn't be a far fetched idea. I understand that printing and mailing replacement cards would probably be kind of time/labor/postage intensive, so I wouldn't disagree to a reasonable nominal handling fee. The problem is they don't have a system in place for any of it.  I'm obviously not the first person to have tried to get a replacement card in the past, seeing as they have been asked enough that they put it at the top of the page for contact info. That is my frustration.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:49 pm
I didn't think you were angry up having to take the course. Just the pretty poor management of the course.

I plan to take their intermediate version in my region once I have a bike I can stick with.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:54 am
I read your motto and think how much do you have to prepare to be able to go through all that trouble. :o
Good luck though and think of next year, this time. Life'll be good.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:04 am

Now that's funny...

Funny but not ha-ha funny.

The connection is untrusted because the website installs a root kit among other things

By accessing the website you agree to the terms and conditions of the website one of which makes your computer and extension of their information system another of which is consent to monitoring.

The same conditions applied to the official cash for clunker websites too.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 03:22:36 am
Back on topic.

Yes do get MSF type education and training.

I wish they had it when I started riding.
If they did I would not have picked up the bad riding habits I fight to this day.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 04:14:46 am
I know its beating a dying horse, but... the cost of 200-300 for the course just doesnt ring correct. 
I also understand that somehow they've managed to set up over 2700 sites, which translates to 27,000 motorcycles for training. They charge $200-300 a person for a two day course of training.

My state, Illinois, is done through mostly education orgs.  Cost about 25.  A quick google search for Louisiana, i found this: http://www.lsp.org/motorcycle.html

Basic Rider Course
This 15.5-hour course is designed for the beginning motorcycle operator with emphasis on the special skills and mental attitude necessary for navigating safely in traffic. Classroom instruction is followed by practical exercises, which are usually divided into two sessions on Saturday and Sunday in a controlled, off-street environment.
Motorcycles used in Basic Rider Course may not exceed 550cc.
Training Cost: $25
Motorcycle Reservation Fee: $75 (if not using personally owned motorcycle)

Am i missing something?
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra