Author Topic: Newbie Intro  (Read 10398 times)

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
on: March 20, 2013, 06:34:32 am
Now that I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks I realize I should have probably done this a bit ago.

My name is Eric, I'm 35, in the USAF, I got two wheels under me on an 87 honda magna, and it died as my son was born. Since then I've been lusting after one bike or another, but not in a position to buy anything. I finally settled on a RE a couple of years ago, and two weeks ago I broke down and bought a showroom 11' Bullet Military. I was looking at the Classic in red but my better half decided that the OD green looked better on me.

Uncle sam says I have to have a motorcycle safety course before I can ride, which I did years ago but since I can't find my card, I have to wait for a few months till I can take the course again (Darn the MSF and their non record keeping habits).  Until then I'm working on saddlebags, fork bags, and a few other odds and ends for the bike.  I'll try and upload photo's of projects once they are complete.

Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:02:31 pm
nice bike. you will be very happy with that one.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:59 pm
Now that I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks I realize I should have probably done this a bit ago.

My name is Eric, I'm 35, in the USAF, I got two wheels under me on an 87 honda magna, and it died as my son was born. Since then I've been lusting after one bike or another, but not in a position to buy anything. I finally settled on a RE a couple of years ago, and two weeks ago I broke down and bought a showroom 11' Bullet Military. I was looking at the Classic in red but my better half decided that the OD green looked better on me.

Uncle sam says I have to have a motorcycle safety course before I can ride, which I did years ago but since I can't find my card, I have to wait for a few months till I can take the course again (Darn the MSF and their non record keeping habits).  Until then I'm working on saddlebags, fork bags, and a few other odds and ends for the bike.  I'll try and upload photo's of projects once they are complete.

Uncle Sam has gone private enterprise?   When I was in the AF (1979) we took a class on-base.  MM-12 (I still have my old Base Motorcycle Driving License).  it was like a flightline license ..... every base you went to, you had to take the course over again.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:15:52 pm
Yeah, I'm not sure when they started going private, but it's been at least 15+ years ago. They require that you take the MSF basic rider course or equivalent before you can ride period. If you ask me it's a P.I.T.A. The class itself is worthwhile and I'd recommend it to anyone, but It's annoying in the more northern climates where they only teach it 6 months out of the year and limited dates. So you get stuck on a waiting list. I signed up a month before I bought the bike and I'm still going to be another almost 3 months from now before I'm legal to ride again. I took it once in the past, but have since lost my card, and the MSF doesn't keep records. If you ask me it's a scam to get the government to fork over another $200 to send me through the class.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:30:25 pm
I took it once in the past, but have since lost my card, and the MSF doesn't keep records. If you ask me it's a scam to get the government to fork over another $200 to send me through the class.

Did somebody trick you into losing your card as part of the scam?   ;)

Sorry.  Seriously... welcome!  You will find just about any information you need here on this forum.  I have...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:46:54 pm
Welcome!  And congrats on the new bike.  Don't be too hard on Uncle Sam.  That class is great, especially if it's been a while since you've been riding.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:27 pm
Wait a minute... my MSF class cost $300!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:52:40 pm
I am really really really really loathe to suggest this but......check with your Harley dealer. Many of them have approved courses. I don't think I would mention that I already had a new RE
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:03:03 pm
Wait a minute... my MSF class cost $300!
I just double checked out here in Missouri it's $200. East coast prices maybe?

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:06:18 pm
Welcome!  And congrats on the new bike.  Don't be too hard on Uncle Sam.  That class is great, especially if it's been a while since you've been riding.

Scott

Honestly even if I manage to sweet talk them into giving me a replacement card, which I doubt will happen I'm still taking the class again. I agree that the class was great. I'm just venting frustration because I have 500cc's of happiness sitting in my garage and all I can do is go sit on it and make put put noises.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:35 pm
Aw, shoot, benknrobbers, I do that all the time, and I'm legal!  14 inches of new snow on the ground this morning, the first day of spring...  :(

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:54 pm
Well if I recall the rules is you can't ride on base without your cert and large orange vest, but once off base your license is all you need.  Got a buddy off base with a garage?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:30 pm
If your in Arizona you will need a Motorcycle drivers license.  A regular car driving license isn't enough for riding motorcycles but a person has the option  of getting a class D license that allows both.
Of course in order to get the Motorcycle license or the class D license you have to ride your bike thru the test course to prove you aren't going to fall over when you turn. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 01:36:03 am
Well if I recall the rules is you can't ride on base without your cert and large orange vest, but once off base your license is all you need.  Got a buddy off base with a garage?

Somewhere about 01 the AF had a rash of guys wrapping themselves and their bikes around trees before they even got home from the dealership. It got real nasty for a while (think having a full bird follow you home because he saw a base sticker and no vest off base then getting court martial-ed for disobeying a direct order, it really happened to someone). Now the protective gear is mandatory on base or off. If you get in an accident off base, and didn't have all your gear on and your motorcycle safety course C/W they won't pay for med bills if you survive, and you face punishment, if you die your family doesn't get the insurance money.

For the record the required gear for AF is mostly common sense but it goes as follows. Over the ankle boots, long pants, long sleeves, FULL finger gloves, Dot or Snell approved helmet, eye protection, and reflective vest. Harley Davidson had mercy a couple of years ago and started making reflective vests that don't look half bad.

I even thought about the storing off base to ride, but in this area someone would see me and recognize the bike. It's not like I'm riding a sportster, the RE Mil really stands out.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:32 am
MSF Course = I did this last year at a community college;  same thing as you: lost the card years ago.  I didnt enroll for a class, but just turned up and added my name to the waitlist as a walk in.  Got in 1st try.  Many of the courses have the ability to take lots of (8-11) extras.  Cost was $20 cash i believe.  See if the MSF hosts around you take walk ins.  Might save you some time & $$ if you have the flexibility.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra